“Loved my beach experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in Key West
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Loved my beach experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have stayed here a few years ago for a wedding. So, my husband and I wanted to go back for a winter escape. Shirley Hutton from the Hutton Group in Pittsburgh planned the whole experience with such expertise. They did a remarkable booking. Andrew poolside and beachside was the best . He is a gem for the resort and I hope we can see him again. Andrew is tops and ask for him and you will have a great relaxing experience !

Room Tip: Try to get ocean view and the bigger bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maggie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,291)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Odenton, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I accompanied a friend who was staying here for a conference. Geez I am glad that I did not pay for this! When you think of Waldorf Astoria you seem to think of luxury, elegance and premium service. Upon arriving I was rather disappointed. The lobby is dated, the hallway carpets need to be replaced and OMG the bathroom was tiny! I am so glad that I went to see the spa before booking a service. The spa was nothing more than a guest room, I am not sure if the “real” spa was being renovated. The spa was literally a guest room, no reception or relaxation area but a guest room. The room itself was not bad, the bed was rather comfy. The beach area was rocky and the water was murky but I did enjoy the Popsicle that the beach guy gave us! Room service came quickly when called and just about all of the staff that I encountered was rather pleasant. Overall it was not a horrible stay but simply did not own up to the Waldorf Astoria name.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Living Life A
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Living Life A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback about our interior decor. We are dedicated to providing our guests with timeless luxury in inspirational environments, and we're keeping guest feedback in mind as we continue to look into enhancements. We're looking into your suggestions about new carpeting and changes to our spa area. In the mean time, a massage on the beach in one of the cabanas is a delightful alternative to our Spa Suite, especially with the perfect weather we have been having. We try very hard to meet all guest standards and hope to have another opportunity to show you our improvements.

Steven Tresh
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We recently stayed at the Casa Marina in Key West, which is a Waldorf Astoria property. We were very disappointed. The decor of this resort is very uninspired and definitely past its prime. Our room (which was an ocean view room) was very bare with laminate flooring. The furniture was not in good repair and the room was a bit depressing. Little did we know that the service in this hotel is even worse. It was next to impossible to get served at the hotel bar (we finally left) and service at the ocean side bar was very very very slow. After these experiences, we chose to have all of our meals (including breakfast) elsewhere. The resort is a short walking distance from quite a few other hotels and B&Bs which looked to me more attractive and appealing. I will say that the outdoror setting of the Casa Marina is lovely. If you stay somewhere else, it might be worth coming over at sunset to have a drink and enjoy the ocean view. I would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank perennialgardener
Dear perennialgardener,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret we were not able to provide you with the quality service and amenity accommodations you expected. We are constantly working to enhance our property decor and services and your comments will help us improve in these very important areas. We hope you will reconsider staying with us the next time you are in the area, and we will work to ensure you receive nothing short of a flawless experience.

Warm Regards,

Steven Tresh
Glen Ellyn, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Had the best time at the Casa Marina. Exceptional rooms, service was wonderful! The most memorable part of our stay was our Pool & Beach services that were provided by Brandie. Not only did she keep the drinks flowing but we woke up each morning to her having our favorite spot by the pool reserved (without asking). Brandie went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. Give that girl a raise!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We chose this resort as this was our last stop on a holiday seeing three different parts of the States and wanted a sunshine finish. We are near the end of our stay & we haven't been disappointed.

I agree with the general consensus that the hotel is lovely and the grounds, beach etc are extremely well kept.

Our check in was fine and the young gentleman at the desk could not have been more helpful.

We have an ocean view balcony room and its fine, well, hotel rooms could always be larger - but that's price dependant. The room is well equipped, it has a fridge, and a coffee machine. There was party on the beach directly below our room one night and the sound proofing as great - couldn't hear a thing.

There's a good fitness room, it is very airy, and generally well equipped. My wife would like some scales in there please.

The pools are really nice, but could be a bit warmer at times!

The reason I didn't give this hotel an excellent score is the coffee machine is rubbish, it produces cold coffee very noisily. Actually the air conditioning and bed are very noisy too!

From a business perspective I was also very surprised to witness/overhear an altercation between two staff members right by the pool in front of guests. Clearly one member of staff was unhappy with an others performance but I would suggest to him in future he asks to speak to his colleague in private - this would have been much more professional.

Overall though this is a really nice hotel and we are having a lovely time - hopefully my comments will be seen as constructive.

Room Tip: An ocean view with a balcony is really nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham F
shortssville, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We had our daughters wedding here and I must say that everything was just as we had imagined but better! Reina Todd was incredible! She made sure everything went perfect right down to the littlest of details! She placed the starfish on the sand herself and made sure everyone was enjoying everything!! This was also a Sunday wedding and she was there till after everyone was dancing! I can't say enough about the food, servers, bartenders, right down to the people who called for taxi's to make sure we got down to duval street to continue the celebration after. We did the jetski tour again because it was so much fun the year before. We needed 12 ski's and they made sure they were there! Yes the rooms are just ok but the only thing I do in there is sleep in a great bed. It's everything else and everyone else that makes this place wonderful!!! There was 60 people who made it to this destination wedding and I'm so glad we chose the Casa Marina and I'm sure everyone who came had an amazing time while they were there!!! Like I said it just doesn't get any better!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked Casa Marina on Booking a few weeks before starting my trip to Florida, mainly because of the location and what I read on Booking. The hotel and its facilities are beautiful, very well located, beautiful pools and good looking beach, but with lots of sea weed almost hiding the white coral sand... it is not a place to got to the beach, as all of Key West isn't. It is not far form the center, Duval Str., etc. but it is still some 15 min walk, and in August it is quite difficult to walk around on those temperatures, so you would better take the car... Good service except the bar at the pool, which was very slow attending the customers, and took for ever to even ask what we wanted, so we decided to go to town to a quicker bar and with nicer attendants - Sloppy Joe's !!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple