“posh for key west”

Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Coral Gables, Florida
“posh for key west”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at the Casa Marina resort for our 10th anniversary in July. The staff was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and accomodating. The beach at this hotel is not really much of a swimming beach. there are nice quality lounge chairs, umbrellas, palm trees and hammocks along the upper beach to enjoy the view of the ocean, but there is too much lower beach seaweed and rocks to really enjoy swimming. At this point, it is probably worth saying that none of the hotels really has an amazing swimming beach and that is typically not why people come to or enjoy Key West. The Reach and the Southernmost hotel is on the nicest beach near a hotel, but it is a public beach so you don't have to stay there to access them. In fact, guests of the casa marina can use the Reach Resort because it is a sister property. If you want a beach day while you are there, bike or drive to ft. zachary tailor park, which has the best beach on the island (hands down). we checked them all out and spent an afternoon at the ft.

There are two nice pools at the hotel with nice lounge chairs.

We didn't eat at the hotel so we can't comment on that.

we had a Flagler king ocean view room. this is in the original building and had wonderful character. the room was spacious and well appointed. the bathroom was REALLY small, though. I would never normally comment on the size of a bathroom as I am fine with almost any size, but this bathroom wouldn't even hold two people at the same time unless someone was in the shower. I don't think this should ever be a deal breaker, but something that is pertinent. The property has jet skis, catamarans, bicycles, etc. for rent. I HIGHLY recommend you rent a bike for your entire stay. this is pretty much how everyone gets around. you park them at the bike stand out front and then take off to visit the sites, which are ALL within easy biking distance. You never have to worry about paying to park or finding a spot. It's awesome! Regarding parking, like others have said, don't bother paying the self parking rate for the hotel as the street parking is plentiful and FREE. The money you save will help you pay for a bike! As far as restaurants are concerned - Southernmost cafe on the beach was by far our favorite for breakfast and lunch. The atmosphere and view could not be beat. you are basically sitting in a room without walls ON the beach. the breaze is always there, as well as the view. we actually ate here three times in 4 days. We also enjoyed Blue Heaven for dinner (make reservations if you can). We spent our anniversary at Lattitudes on Sunset key, which was AMAZING! You pick up the free boat shuttle from the Westin in Key west near Mallory Square and take a 5 minute boat ride to the island. the restaurant is just off the dock. when making a reservation, plan to overlap sunset and ask for an outdoor table "on the sand." This experience cannot be topped.

The location of this hotel is good. You do need to walk or bike to the action on Duval street, but it is short and a nice walk/ride. If you need to stumble home drunk to a hotel adjacent to Duval street, this may not be the place for you.

4 Thank estabrks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,424)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Elmira, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We booked a Casa Grande Ocean Vista room for 3 nights for roughly $450 a night with taxes. Self-parking was an additional $19/night and valet was $29/night but we just street parked for free. Long story short: Overpriced, too far from any action, poor upkeep, poor food, nice beach.
Upon arrival the hotel is very nice in appearance. Main area is clean and modern. Up keep is impeccable in the main areas. I was very excited to see the room after being so impressed with the lobby. Unfortunately the room (242) was average. The view was really nice (Ocean front) but the lanai needs some work. The paint is chipping in areas and the lounge chairs and dividers (which are white) have mold stains on them. The mini fridge did a poor job at keeping anything cold. The window and lanai door leaked (a lot) during a rain storm. The shower leaked badly due to poor engineering. Needless to say we used most of our towels/wash clothes just to sop up rain/shower water. Other than that the rooms were pretty large and comfortable.
There are hammocks on the beach as well as a fire pit and two large swimming pools. The beach is rocky in front of the hotel but becomes a nice sandy beach if you go further down to the right. The beach service is excellent with gentleman setting up chairs, umbrellas and towels. They offer fruity ice water all day so you don't have to run up to your room for a cold drink.
Room service menu is overpriced and the food is subpar. We preferred to go to The Southernmost Café during our stay.
The concierges are fabulous and have coupons for area restaurants and can set you up with any activity you like. Beach staff was also wonderful. Always happy and very helpful. Front desk staff was average. The maid service came really late (like 3pm) which was odd but whatever.
Here is what bothers me the most……We had reservations for additional nights at La Te Da Hotel on Duval Street after our check out at Casa Marina so that we could be closer to the night life for a while. La Te Da rooms were just as nice and spacious, with a much more intimate experience and a free breakfast in their resteraunt. (Not some cheapo breakfast either….table service with juice, coffee, eggs, meat, French toast, etc ) The pool is right outside your door with lush landscaping giving it that jungle feel. A night at La Te Da cost me only $151 with taxes!!!
Basically after seeing both of these places and knowing the difference I paid between the two; I would never return to Casa Marina. Yes the beach is nice but not for an additional $300 a night. I feel that the Casa Marina is overpriced and needs better upkeep.

2 Thank LandLockedMermaidTif
Waldorfkeywest, Front Office Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
We are extremely sorry the resort did not meet your expectations. If you would like to discuss your stay please contact me at mabennett@luxuryresorts.com.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is my second time at the Casa Marina, Key West and it just continues to be bliss..pure bliss. All the staff are welcoming, accommodating and will make sure your vacation is a memorable one! While u r there please take advantage of all the water sports at the resort and treat ur self to a massage on the beach. t's truly a fabulous resort on a paradise island and you don't even need to leave the USA.

Room Tip: book the Ocean Vista Room- 1st floor- u will be facing the ocean, have a balcony, and walk on access...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Trish V
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and i recently went to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina in Key West Florida and I have to say it did not live up to the "Waldorf" experience we have so enjoyed at other Waldorf hotels. The staff was not very helpful at all. By the pool we waited for 10min and no one asked if we wanted towels to lay on, finally my husband had to hunt someone down to even ask where the towels were. At night it was raining and when it finally stopped we decided to go down by the pool where they have fire pits. The cushions on the chairs were of course wet from the rain so we were just standing there deciding what to do when one of the staff came over and said you can sit but the fire pit doesn't work, so we said thats fine we just want to sit he said nothing and walked away. Another girl cam over and said go sit but take off the cushions if you want. Not to sound rude but we are on vacation. The answer should have been wait one minute let me take those cushions off so you both can sit. I mean it's not like we are staying at the days inn, when Im staying at a hotel where i'm paying over $400 a night i do expect to have certain things done and be accommodated in a certain way. That along with the fact that the toilet in the room wasn't working, we called and no one ever came to fix it. When we got back to the room my husband had to fix the toilet cause if he hadn't we wouldn't be able to sleep from the noise. The next day was no better, we went to the pool only for there to be maintenance being done on the tree's. There was debris flying all over us, and mice running past my feet. It was a mess! My husband and I always stay at a Waldorf resort if there is one in the city we are staying, it has always been our number one choice. After this experience I have to say it is no longer going to be on our list!

Room Tip: We had a king suite and it was pretty small. I did have a chance to see a regular room and it was ev...
1 Thank StacieL2011
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I got away for a much needed break, sans kids! Our stay was great at the Casa Marina! It was very relaxing. We really enjoyed the beach and pool. Service was wonderful, everyone was helpful! The workout facility (which I used each day) was the best I have ever used. It is in a building across the street, but don't let that detour you from using it. My husband and I chose to eat the local fare, so I can't comment about the food. It looked good as we passed. The bar on the beach was pretty good. Nothing too fancy or over the top, but a good place to go and unwind. Drinks were very yummy! We chose not to bring our kids, but I did notice many families and there were activities for them. I also read there is a babysitting service. I will warn you, if you are looking to be near the action (Duvall St), this may not be the place. Don't get me wrong, it's not a big island so you can walk if you want, or rent scooters or bikes. We took a cab everywhere (drivers are CRAZY down there). We went into town each day, but was back at the hotel each night by sundown (we used their bar)! My only complaint is that our room didn't get cleaned until late afternoon or early evening. We even left a room cleaning sign on our door all day to find our room did not get cleaned earlier. I am sure there is a reason, I'm just used to rooms getting cleaned first thing. So in all if you want a place to unwind a bit away from all the action this is the place!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We upgraded to a suite as the hotel had no knowledge of the rollaway bed we had pre-requested, but were quite disappointed - the rooms were incredibly dark (no window in bedroom and tiny tree covered balcony in living area). We needed the lights on during the day which is saying something for Florida in July.
Also really not quite sure why the elevators need to ring so loudly when they arrive on each floor (just outside the bedroom and all night)
The coffee theme seems pretty consistent (read these reviews someone, it's an easy thing to change!) - we also had to specifically request coffee refills every day (management - have you not suspected your coffee people are selling Nespresso capsules down the market?)

On the plus side - lovely beach with helpful concierge staff to put our loungers and umbrellas. Free ice lollies in the afternoon and frozen face towels were all nice touches. I enjoyed lying in a hammock looking at the empty beach early in the morning.
Every night there was a cocktail special at the lobby bar and these were delicious.
We self parked the car and walked around the island - there are plenty of nice eating places a pleasant walk away.

My son wants me to mention that this had the best fitness centre of any hotel we stayed at on this trip - well equipped with complimentary fruit and cold water.

Room Tip: Don't choose an island facing suite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Diego
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The place is historic and it has a nice stretch of beach. Its a bit pricey, but it is not far from to the rest of the island. Enjoyed the pools and outdoor restaurants, service was great for us. Concierge helped arrange some things to do and places to eat, very helpful. Beach is inviting, but swimming on this beach is not the best. It is shallow and grassy. Breakfast looked nice, but I was underwhelmed with the food. Dinner on the beach was well worth it.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, worth at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family