“Elegant, Historic Hotel; Nice Beach for a Sun Goddess”

Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #40 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed October 7, 2011

The Casa Marina is a great place to stay when in Key West. It is an elegant and historic hotel. If you like a beach, it is one of the few hotels in Key West that has one and I believe the only hotel with a natural beach. Mark and Scuba Steve (the pool and beach concierge) definitely make you feel at home. After getting you situated with a lounge chair, towels, and beach umbrella, during the day they bring you frozen towels for the back of your neck infused with eucalyptus oil, cold cucumbers for your eyes, and popcicles. The drink of the day is an added bonus. Mark goes above and beyond to assist guests. I think he taught Scuba Steve everything he knows! (We love you Scuba Steve!) The watersports at the hotel are also a lot of fun. You can take a tour of the island on jetskis, or go kayaking or paddleboarding. They also rent bicycles to tour the island and scooters. I would defintely return to this hotel. We did not opt for an oceanfront room but the room was nice and had updated modern decor. We walked to downtown and the surrounding areas with ease. A great way to keep off the pounds while enjoying awesome dining at several restaurants in Key West. I walked past all of the hotels and B&Bs mentioned on the list at some point during my stay and would return to the Casa Marina.

Room Tip: Spring for the Oceanfront room if you can.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 7, 2011

Spent two nights with my wife, and we both really enjoyed it. Location is very good, right on the beach and away from the main street. Beach, pools and related activities are all first class (unless you like running int the water). Service around the pools, beach and in general was outstanding. The only negative was the room. Although it was in the newer section, it was rather small and the AC did not remove the "feeling" of humidity.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We actually stayed at the Reach but spent the day at Casa Marina, hanging out by the pool and on the beach. "Scuba Steve" was the pool concierge on duty. He was awesome. He made sure everyone was happy and comfortable,spent time talking and joking with the guests and having fun with everyone. He even took time after the end of his shift to take some great pictures of us on the beach. The property is beautiful, the drinks are plentiful and the salad I had for lunch was perfect. It's really fun seeing the iguana's in the trees, especially big red. My daughter had a blast. I don't know what the rooms are like but the property is stunning. I saw that some people complained about the rocky beach but there is a pier that goes past the rocks and has stairs down to the water. Great solution!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2011

This was our 2nd stay at Casa Marina and our 2nd outstanding experience with them. This staff could not have been more accomodating and generous. Before we arrived we had requested a non adjoining room and we were told we would be getting one. At the front desk the person helping us, Michaela, became flustered because we were assigned an adjoining room. She apologized profusely and gave us a different room in the same area but that was adjoining also. However instead of just saying "tough luck" she went over the top and upgraded us to a suite. We looked at 2 different rooms and she gave us the one right on the beach. That is the type of service I would expect from a hotel like this. This room was absolutely perfect!!

The rest of the stay was just as nice. The guy's at the pool did not stop moving. They brought sliced cucumbers for my wife and her friend to put on their eyes, cleaned their sun glasses and basically made sure their time at the pool was relaxing and fun. The bed was very easy to sleep in and the AC worked non stop and the room was nice and cool.

We really did not eat at the hotel, too many other options in town. The drinks and bar food were good though. Another great thing about the bar is that they had Sunday ticket so we could watch all the NFL games as well as the baseball playoffs.

We have already started to plan our next trip to the Casa Marina. It is close enough to the fun in down town, but far enough away where it isn't a noise problem.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean front walk out. 1st floor here is a great choice.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2011

When we go to Key West - which we have been doing for more than 20 years we usually stay at either the Historic Casa Marina or the Marquesa. One is a big hotel and the other is a boutique B&B. We love the location of both as they are away from the "old town" activity. Unfortunately, this time we opted for the Casa Marina, and were somewhat disappointed. The hotel is gradually falling into a state of disrepair. The rooms are clean, but worn - which is to say they walls and base boards REALLY need a fresh coat of paint, and the beds are so worn out that they sag. (I was in two rooms in different parts of the hotel; both rooms were this way.) I understand that many hotels have been cutting back and cutting corners due to the economy, however a good nights sleep at a Waldorf Astoria should be a "given" ... I hope someone who can do something about this reads my review and put in a purchase order for new beds! I will be back some time next year, but will ask before I make my reservation if this has been done.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sleach2013
Reviewed October 6, 2011

The resort is amazing in and of itselt and the staff is amazing. In particular, John Hertline, a bell hop for the resort, did an excellent job making sure myself and those in my party were taken care of and well equiped to go out into Key West (getting us taxis, telling us places to go, etc.) I will definitely suggest this hotel to anyone looking for a getaway in Key West. Thank you!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2011

This was by far the nicest place I have ever stayed. And I mean both the property and the people! The hotel is gorgeous and we loved that it has a history. When I walked out of the lobby towards the beach/pool, my jaw dropped. The photos do not do this place justice. The fountains and palm trees that line the walkway to the beach are the perfect welcome to the property.

When we checked in, we were early for check-in but our room was ready and they also upgraded us! We found our room with no trouble. We had room 299, which had a nice sized living area and separate bedroom. It also had a small balcony - not much of a view but since we were not expecting to have one in the first place we were not complaining! The bathroom isn't huge but was plenty of room for my husband and I.

We spent alot of time at the pool. If you stay here, so will you because you will never want to leave! The H20 Concierge guys were awesome! Rob and John addressed our every need - cleaning our sunglasses, offering cold towels and my husbands favorite - the 2pm popsicles!

We had quite a few cocktails at the Sun-Sun bar and the staff there was also excellent. Jan, Darin and Suzanne all made delicious drinks and were very friendly.

I also had a blissful deep tissue massage at the beach cabana with Josh. He did a wonderful job and told me step by step why he was targeting a certain area and gave me some helpful tips to understand how my muscles interact. I left feeling refreshed and relaxed.

The staff at Casa Marina are truly service professionals. They are well trained, friendly and extremely accommodating. I cannot wait to come back. My husband and I were thoroughly impressed.

Room Tip: The ocean view at Casa Marina is ridiculously good - next time I will def request an ocean view room
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple