“Beautiful view and great location but pricey”

Hyatt Centric Key West Resort and Spa
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Ocala, Florida
“Beautiful view and great location but pricey”
Reviewed April 6, 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt the first part of April as my daughter was getting married there. Ava was the events planner and did a great job.
The hotel is directly on the water and the view was fabulous. You are within walking distance to Duval Street where the restaurants, shops and bars are.
Nice pool or you can swim in the gulf.
Now the not so good.
At over $300.00 a night they set the record for what I have paid for hotel rooms in my lifetime. The restaurant charges $4.50 for a cup of coffee (another record) and breakfast was just as expensive and nothing special. I wonder why they have to charge $12.00 for bacon and eggs. Go to Pepes or Blue Heaven for breakfast. Also, they charge $10.00 a day for internet access. Go across the street to The Key Lime Pie Factory for a wi-fi hotspot and great key lime pie.
If you dont mind the price STAY THERE. It is really beautiful !

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OcalaGator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Boston
Reviewed March 29, 2009

We visited Key West for 3 nights (originally planned to stay 4 but decided to move on to Key Largo) in late February and stayed at the Hyatt Key West Resort & Spa. We chose this hotel, due to positive Trip Advisor comments, its convenient location and the fact that Hyatt offers a 20% discount for those age 62 and over. Even with the discount, the hotel was fairly expensive, but the rooms are lovely and the staff very accomodating and pleasant. The only downside is the pool area - there aren't that many chairs, and it's in the shade after 2 p.m. One very pleasant surprise was the onsite restaurant. We had breakfast there one morning, and the menu offered excellent choices (including healthful ones), and the food was extremely well prepared.

1 Thank betsy1224
Reviewed March 23, 2009

We were able to secure a great rate for a two day stay at the resort. We were charged $360.00 for the first night and $180.00 for the second for a courtyard view king. Parking was available, too, at a charge of $12.00 per day. Happily, we were never charged.

The hotel is well located- a few steps from the pier and a few more to Duval. We were there during spring break but the hotel and the street where it is located were seemingly immune from the chaos we observed elsewhere.

Our room was lovely (just as on the site but even better) and overlooked a small pool containing turtles and a water feature that effectively cancelled any noise. We even could see a bit of the gulf from our balcony. There was no table on the balcony to enjoy a cup of coffee and breakfast, though.

The room decor was fresh and contemporary, a nice change from the dark espresso furnishings that are ubiquitous elsewhere. Although the mattress was good, the linens were a tad rough. Lots of pillows, however.

The flat screen TV is situated in the sitting area (charming) and is not optimal for viewing from the bed.

We enjoyed the coffee machine in the room, but it is set up to make only one medium paper cup.

We loved the bathroom. The large walk in shower enclosure with both a rain shower head and hand held shower feature allow two to shower comfortably. Lovely toiletries: key lime soap and eucalyptus shampoo, conditioner, etc. BUT ladies, no shower cap. Towels are plentiful.

We did have a problem with housekeeping. There was only one hanger in our room when we first arrived. Although I called housekeeping immediately and was promised hangers within minutes, they were not there when we returned 6 hours later and I had to make another call. The next day housekeeping left coffee stains and hair on the counters and did not replenish all towels. I called management and a two person team came immediately and surveyed the room. The situation was immediately rectified. Although we did not request it, by way of compensation, we were awarded points on our Hyatt card.

We did not take advantage of the pool, restaurants, and bar but did walk around the area. It looked lovely.

Check-out was at noon and the hotel was unable to give us a late check-out. We did, however, keep our bags in a secure area and the hotel permitted us to keep our car in the lot for the full day. We were also invited to use the hotel facilities, including the pool past check-out.

We are of the view that many hotels have problems. The litmus test is how one handles them. We were well satisfied with the response of Hyatt to our concerns. If we could secure a good rate, we would defintely return.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fearful
INDIANA
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Just returned from a trip to Key West Flordia. Loved it! Stayed at the Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa. 1st of all the location is great - close to downtown and Duval Street, resturants, and shopping. I am really picky about where I stay. My husband booked this trip and hotel as a birthday surprise. And to be honest I was really nervous that he picked a hotel that I wouldnt care for. I was wrong the Hyatt was great - staff was wonderful and very helpful. Food / Bar / Pool and hot tub great. Room was fantastic. We had room #2208 overlooking the turtle pond. Concierge service on the property is very helpful and I recommend using them. They booked dinners, a fishing trip , snorkling trip for us (snorkling is not great - too cold and found out the sea is rougher in the winter months and we couldnt see anything - if you snorkle there do so in the summer when waters are calmer). I highly recommend spending the money to go deep sea fishing it was fantastic!!! Sailing there is also nice. My husband and I did use the spa - it is very nice, and ask for Gary he was wonderful.
I am not the easiest to please when it comes to hotel/resort stays but this place has my vote.

1 Thank fromtheusa
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 25, 2009

This hotel met or exceeded every expectation, and we expected a lot given the room rate. Had a surprise when we checked in when informed that there was a maintenance issue in our booked ocean front room and we would need to stay the first night (of 4) in a partial ocean view room. The manager more than made it up to us, but having experienced both room types, I think the premium for ocean front is worth it. While a Hyatt 'chain' hotel, it is actually quite small ( I think about 120 rooms) and never felt crowded despite being fully booked. Very relaxing!

Some highlights: champagne on arrival; outdoor pool bar is beautifully designed with great views; beautful and large bathroom with glass shower; proximity to both the northern end of Duval and the Bight; activity rentals on site.

1 Thank Miketheworldtraveler
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed February 20, 2009

My wife and I spent 3 days at the Hyatt and it was fantastic. The check in was easy and the staff did eveything to make our stay perfect, thank you Ms Agbaba. First what the Hyatt KW is; a large upscale chain hotel that felt like a boutique hotel. The rooms were modern beach, very clean and the bathrooms were as pictured-fantastic. Room service was always less than 30 min and the food from "Shor" was great. It has one of the best pool bars in Florida. The hotel is less than 5 min walking to Duval St and the "Wharf" is next door. There are bike/motor scooter rentals next to the hotel. The best aspect of this hotel is that you are close to everything yet it is an oasis from the madness that can Key West.
Now for what the Hyatt is not: there is no beach to speak off but rather a "sandlot" and water. To be fair most of the hotels are this way as Key West is not a sandy-beach destination. The hotel has a few spectacular view rooms, many average/partial view rooms and a few bad ones i.e. next to elevators or over the bar. If the view is important then pay for the ocean front rooms. The west side of the hotel( bld #3) is next to the public sandlot beach that has been mentioned before. The hotel is on the main channel to the harbor and can be busy/noisy. It has two sunning areas, pool and sundeck both are very nice but limited bar service. The spa has two great masseuse(s) Erin and Lucy. Although the rooms were nice there was a great deal of outside noise due to the fact they faced a parking lot. Finally the rooms do have floor unit AC which worked well but always have a background hum.
Bottom line we would go back again and stay here. My advice is to relax, slow down and walk around until you find a place that you want to dine in.

1 Thank cactus410
Raleigh
Reviewed February 18, 2009

The hotel was very nice. The decor was very modern. I was really happy with the bathroom, I know that sounds wierd but it had a huge shower with no door, and really cool bowl sinks. We had a ocean view room and the view was amazing. (check out my pictures) The staff was fine I guess....now that I think about it I didnt really see them too much. The location was perfect. We walked everywhere. We rented scooters to go across town to a beach but other than that we walked to the rest of the trip and I am not really in shape! :) The pool was fine but it was small. The only bad thing I can say bad about this place is that the food is soooooo expensive. It was good but pricey at both the rest. and the bar.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple