DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West
$364
$350
$329
  • Pool
Havana Cabana Key West(Key West)(Great Value!)
$277
$175
Travelocity
Sunset Key Cottages(Key West)
$1,019
$330
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
3,847 results
All reviewsdouble treeshuttle servicewarm cookiesevery hourfree shuttleduval streetbreakfast buffetpool areaalways on timehotel shuttleclose to the airportsmathers beachthe hotel offersoutdoor barnice poolnice resortrental car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 9, 2006

After staying at the Double Tree in Naples we were looking forward to our two nights at Key West. Lovely foyer and check in not a problem, upon getting to our room the mini-bar cupboard lock was broken and when I looked inside food was open and strewn across the draws. Also this room was located close to the laundry or staff areas and even walking to the room we had to pass numerous cleaning trolleys and bags of linen (at after 3.00pm). We went back to reception and complained, they gave us another room.
The hotel is great for families, the pool area was lovely and also the fact you could eat outside the restaurant on the terrace overlooking the pool was very enjoyable. The Buffett breakfast was reasonable. They provided free shuttle into Key West and complimentary drink vouchers for a bar on the water in Key West. Wonderful service from the driver.
Really enjoyed the fact that they gave you access to their beach club. The shuttle bus took you down to the beach (More like a lake) and complimentary deck chairs, umbrellas and towels were provided. Really lovely touch and we enjoyed it. Concerciege service was exceptional as well, they recommended restaurants and also boat cruises, depending on budgets and time frames.
Also enjoyed the complimentary cookies again on arrival. This would be a great hotel for families or people who dont mind staying in a hotel with a lot of kids, that run through the hotel and make a lot of noise around the pool. Housekeeping staff quite rude and would not move out of your way in hallways and constantly over the two days the housekeeping trolleys and laundry trolleys were in the hotel.
Would not stay here again.

5  Thank Sheryll
A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed June 8, 2006

My mom and I stayed at this hotel for five days over Mother's Day weekend. The room was large, the beds and bedding very comfortable, the air conditioning worked well. The downside was that our room faced the pool and we were immediately above the sound system for the weddings on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. There were not any other rooms available so it was very noisy until after 11 each night.
It also made it difficult to go to the pool because you have to walk through the terrace where the wedding reception is being held to access the pool.
We found the shuttle service to Key West very handy, the staff at the desk and drivers were great. The hotel is OK, the exercise facility very worn, broken equipment and not well maintained.
It was definitely not worth the $225/night we paid.
We were never offered any information about their beach club at Smather's Beach and the shuttle didn't stop there on any of the runs we were on.
Restaurant staff are very nice, pool bar staff bordered on rude.
We would not stay there again unless the price was incredibly lower.
There is nothing within walking distance from this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 8, 2006

We recently returned from Key West, Florida where we stayed at the DoubleTree Grand Key Resort. The hotel grounds, pool, lobby, restaurant were clean and well maintained.

However, the nice surroundings couldn't make up for their staff's attitude of indifference, no service at all and in one case rudeness.
Upon our arrival in the late afternoon, there was no one to help with baggage because a wedding party was about to depart on a bus. The front desk told us that all staff was busy with the wedding and we could either wait or bring it in ourselves. I was unable to carry the luggage up the flight of stairs to the lobby so I had to wait. I do want to mention that the young man who did eventually help us after 30 minutes did apologize and refused to accept a tip. He was definitely the exception at this hotel.

A card is left on your bed asking what time you want your room cleaned and it will be picked up during the night. The room did not get cleaned until 5pm. So the next two days I left the card asking for 9am service. The housekeeper tells me on the 3rd day that she realizes that I am leaving the card for early service but that she doesn't see the card until she gets there at 5pm. That leaves us without clean towels to shower with after being at the pool or beach. The housekeeper was in the room around 4:30 - 5pm every day when we expected to be showering and getting ready to go out to dinner. The card is a joke. I've never stayed at hotel when my room was cleaned at 5pm. To make it worse, the housekeepers were in 1 room next to ours all day almost every day. It made us wonder why it took so long for that one room or if they waited there all day and then rushed doing the rooms at the end of the day. We were without towels twice, because they were behind in the laundry and we had to come back in the late evening to the desk to get some.

Our room reservation was also incorrect. When I made the reservations, I was quoted a price for a King room with a balcony overlooking the pool. When I arrived, I received two doubles overlooking the parking lot and the rate was $5 higher. I only had a reservation number and nothing in writing from the hotel so I could not prove what had been told to me over the phone. So this was my fault and was willing to accept it, but when I asked to them to at least honor the rate the desk clerk called someone from the back out who said "you are on your own". She said this several times after each time I explained why I was quoted that rate. This was in reference to the group rate we had for a wedding we were there for. I knew that my personal rate was my responsibility and not the brides but when I booked the room for extra days they gave me the same rate since we were with the wedding party. Yes it was only $5/day difference and was not that big of a deal. But as a customer service measure, it would not have hurt this hotel to give me a $30 credit rather than argue with me rudely in the lobby. So I didn't get the room I booked and paid more money than I thought. You know I could have spent that $30 in the restaurant or bar but she wasn't going to bend an inch.

Several wedding groups were there the same week as we were. A notice in the lobby was posted welcoming each group except ours. The only difference I knew of was that our reception was at a restaurant in town instead of the hotel. Again, this small gesture of welcoming our group wouldn't have cost them a thing and would have made everyone feel special.

Also on two occasions in the restaurant we couldn't find anyone for more than 20 min. Once we waited 20 minutes after eating to pay our bill. The 2nd time after waiting 20 minutes for our bill we got up and left and went to our room to get a few things before going out. We stopped back by the restaurant to try to pay our bill and they hadn't even realized we left without paying. Our waitress did apologize after we explained that we had left without paying for 2 bagels and a coffee.

Noise level in adjoining rooms was poor, we could hear what people were saying and they had young children who cried and ran through the room.

The front desk staff acted as if they didn't care if we were there or not. When you go to a resort you are usually paying a premium for the hotel and expect good to great service. This hotel is in need of some serious Customer Service Training and then it would be worth staying there. I would not stay here again. I very rarely complain but felt compelled to tell others my of my experience here.

5  Thank J5MOM
Reviewed June 5, 2006

My girlfriend booked the "sweet romance" package for this hotel for the Memorial Day weekend. We looked forward to the "deluxe" room and all the other perks she paid for. Let me tell you, I was totally heartbroken for her when I saw what she had paid for. The "deluxe" room was a room with no balcony, just a sliding glass door with a rail two inches beond the door. The "sparkling wine" promised upon arrival was in the room, but it smelled and tasted like skunk urine! The package also offered room service breakfast, but when we checked in we received coupons for breakfast in the restaurant. On top af all of that, she has requested a "smoking" room. After arriving in the room there were no ashtrays. We called the front desk and they said they didn't have "smoking" rooms. Also...one of the perks was " come early, stay late" on the last day we requested the 5PM checkout which we were willing to pay $75 for but was told that there was no availability .
You will also see that they offer an exlusive "beach club". After a 10 minute ride by shuttle to the "club" where we had been promised chairs, towels and an umbrella, we found ourselves at a public beach. We did get towels and chairs...but guess what NO UMBRELLAS! And if you miss the shuttle downtown...expect a $17 cab ride both ways.
We were to fly out at 5:45 and wanted the room to freshen up in before the flight. When we arrived at the airport we found that our flight was canceled. The airline offered accomodations for the night, guess where! The Doubletree. We went back to the hotel and guess what type room we got.... a "SMOKING" room, you remember, one that they didn't have? And what about availibilty for late check out...we got back to an empty room after 7PM.
This place is crap, the staff could care less and I wouldn't accept a FREE trip to this place. We saw these reviews and just thought that maybe a few unhappy people had bothered to write, but from now on WE BELIEVE...DO NOT PAY TO STAY HERE!

Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank JLink
Reviewed June 5, 2006

For $155 in Key West, I thought the Doubletree represented an excellent value. The property was in pristine condition inside and out. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool and hottub area was first rate, as was the food. Refrigerators come in every room, which is nice if you like to drink a lot of soda or beer. They also provide complimentary copies USA Today. Overall, I enjoyed our stay at this very well run property.

The downside to this facility is the location, which is on the far south end of the island. The hotel is a 10 to 15 minute shuttle from Duval St. and perhaps 5 minutes from Smathers beach, on which the Doubletree has a small "beach club." The Doubletree operates an hourly shuttle, beginning at 9 a.m. to both the beach and both ends of Duval St. and ending at 5pm for the beach and 11pm for Duval. Twice and hour shuttles would have been better, but once an hour was sufficient if slightly inconvenient at times.

While the Doubletree is highly recommendable and represents a very fair value, if we return to Key West we would probably stay at one the hotels on the south end of Duval where it is quiet but much closer to Duval and on the ocean.

• Stayed: June 2006