“Great location in a quieter part of the island”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Great location in a quieter part of the island”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

First off, I wish to say that Ronda on reception totally rocks! She gave us such a warm welcome to this resort and nothing was too much trouble for her. She gave us insider information on where to hang with the locals and was always smiling. If you come to this resort look out for her, she's super!

If you don't want to be near Duval St/ Mallory Square, this is a great property. Rooms are on the smaller side and the maids could do with leaving more amenities when two or more people are sharing the room (we had one bottle of shampoo and conditioner to share between 3). However, we're not meant to be spending vast amounts of time in the room when there is so much to do in Key West, so the room size isn't a big deal. We overlooked the pool and had a balcony so everything was fine.

The free shuttle to the heart of the action is a welcome benefit as it means you can have a nice alcoholic drink when you're down there and not have to pay for a cab back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boynton Beach fl, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Hotel full of Ants in rooms, Staff is terrible...seems they are doing you a Favor!! The only people seemed to care were the Waiters in Restaurant. Front Desk Personnel should be cleaning the rooms. Maybe then they would learn how to talk to Guest and Look at them.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Robert K
WeCareInKeyWest, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
We took corrective action through our internal Guest Satisfaction Program prior to the posting of this comment on Trip Advisor, but we apologize again for the inconvenience.
Peabody, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel was very nice but the room had a strange smell to it. I liked the pool area it was very clean and updated. I was very upset with the restaurant on the property. My cousin had sent my husband and I a $50.00 voucher toward food at the doubletree for our honeymoon. When we were finished with breakfast I gave the voucher towards the $30.00 bill. When the waiter came back he told me sorry we can't give you cash back. I was so upset he told me no credit either. I don't understand this policy when my family paid cash for this gift certificate for us. I would like to hear back from management on this. This was handled very poorly. Not to mention two omelets and a mimosa cost 30.00. Unexceptable way of treating customers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This property is far from the crowd, but just an easy complementary shuttle ride away...the best of both worlds! Everyone on staff was great...especially Bob the shuttle driver with his entertaining Key West historical tales and chocolate chip cookie rewards!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 2012UWMom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I just returned from my 2nd stay at this hotel. It is located on the opposite end of the island, which was great. The hotel offers a free shuttle that runs hourly to the two main spots in town. From that point, you are within walking distance to most main attractions on & off Duval.The drivers are very friendly & knowledgable. They give great advice & feedback on the best places to go. The rooms are super clean, (other than the recliners & pullout sleepers) and very comfy. The pool is gorgeous (a little cold if the sun isn't out). The restaurant is delicious, very quiet, convenient, yet slightly over priced. They do, however, give you very large portions. My suggestion would be to cut the price & portion in half. I hated that I had to waste 3/4 of my pasta dish. The bar is also very relaxing, convenient, but also a little over priced. $9 for a weak pina colada. They seem to close whenever they want, my last night there I walked up to get a drink, and although there was a bar full of people, we were told they were closed. I found it very rude, as I had planned on taking the drink back to the room anyway. Otherwise, the employees were helpful, friendly, and go out of their way to do what they can to make your stay great. Housekeeping was amazing...checked with us to see if we needed anything while passing in the hall since we had the "do not disturb" sign on the doo to sleep in. Downfall...we filled out the card on the door to order breakfast, which said it must be on the door by midnight. No one picked it up the first night (was on the door by 7pm), the second day they removed it, but no one ever delivered breakfast the next morning. All in all, great hotel. We plan on going back again.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank DreamsOfMusic
Franconia, Virginia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The rooms look something like a beach rental from the 80s but are generally clean and the staff is pretty nice. The pool/bar area are nicer than usual though the water was a little bath water temps (but hey, it's Key West). The room freezer definitely needed to be defrosted and the air conditioner is real loud on start up and will wake you up if you aren't a sound sleeper.

Otherwise it was much better than I was expected based on my initial look at the room and some of the other reviews. They had a little plackard where you can write what time (2 h window) you would like the room cleaned...never seen that before. The TV had a decent amount of chanels in HD. The breakfast eggs/sausage and stuff was actually warm. It's been a long time since I've had anything but luke warm food at a Hilton property buffet.

Had a first floor room that opened up to the pool and had a couple rocking chairs by my sliding door...nice touch. The convenience of the shuttle was nice and they would run extra vehicles when they were full. Overall I really liked the pool scene with wait service poolside.

Fish tacos were ok in a pinch. Wings were probably a little better. If you feel a little adventurous (and have a car or will take a cab), try the Hogfish Bar & Grill about 3 miles away on Stone Island (fantastic food).

Watch where you park your car in the lot because I saw a large coconut sitting in a parking space on the end. Being from the north, I wouldn't have thought to look up before parking there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BigMo_28
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The smell of cigarette smoke coming in through our ac vent woke me up every morning. The AC was broken. The maids where extremely loud in the morning, it was more than a subtle hint to get out. The location isn't great if you are into going to Duval Street every night.
On the up side, the beds were comfortable and bathrooms are spacious. The pool area is nice. For the money, you can do better. Just sayin.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
WeCareInKeyWest, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear about the unpleasant smoke smell that you encountered and our maintenance team is checking the vents to pinpoint the issue. We've also reminded our staff to be more mindful of guest comfort when conducting daily operations. We hope you'll reconsider giving us another chance to serve you for a much better stay.