“Could not fault the Doubletree Resort”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West
Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Could not fault the Doubletree Resort”
Reviewed March 5, 2008

Stayed for three days this February and really couldn't fault it.
Our room was clean and pleasant with all facilites we needed ( tea,coffee, ironing board, iron,safe etc). Bathroom was large with lots of fluffy towels and the beds were very comfortable.

There was a laundry room on our floor which was excellent and cheap, makes such a difference when hotels are practical.

The shuttle service is excellent so wouldn't recommend taking your car into town plus you can have a drink in one of the great bars in Key West! We prefered to be away from the noise of the town so for us this hotel was perfect. It lookes bigger than you think when you arrive but there are always beds available round the pool, which has a great waitress service, and there are lots of staff on the front desk, bars and restaurant.

• Liked — Clean room, comfortable beds,clean good quality sheets and towels. Tea & coffee in room.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Londonlady044

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
St Andrews, FIFE, UK
Reviewed February 15, 2008

The Doubletree Grand Key Resort was my base in Key West when I had a short visit in January. The choice of booking at the Doubletree was made as I found a great rate on their website - I figured being away from downtown was worth the saving on the room rate I made.

Having never stayed in a Doubletree hotel I was not sure what to expect. When I arrived at the property I wasn't disappointed. The exterior looked to be in good condition and there was ample car parking available close to the entrance. The checkin desk was well staffed, and the personnel very helpful in providing me with my welcome cookies, room key and some complimentary water.

I was given an upgraded room for my stay. This had a small balcony and a view of the pool deck. The room itself was a reasonable size, clean and had the usual selection of hotel literature and gadgets. One thing I did notice was that the decor in the room was a little tired in places - with a few scuff marks on the door and walls. The beds and furniture, however, were well presented.

Owing to the late arrival time, I opted to have dinner in the hotel restaurant which was pretty much empty at the time I visited (around 10pm). I don't recall what I had to eat, but it was reasonably well presented and seemed to offer good value for the price paid. The food wasn't outstanding, but it wasn't disappointing either.

The hotel shuttle service was excellent, and really made getting to the heart of Key West easy. The timing of the shuttles was also quite good, with hourly departures for much of the day. A word of warning - be careful to board the right shuttle - 1 goes downtown whilst the other goes to the beach club! I didn't realise this and ended up at the beach club on the first morning!

Overall I was pleased with my choice of accommodation for my trip to Key West. The Doubletree offered a good base to explore, but those who are looking to stay out past 11pm will need to find there own way back to the hotel. When I return, the Doubletree will certainly be on my list of places to consider.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — Distance from downtown
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
7 Thank K_Getchell
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I really have nothing bad to say about the double tree in Key West. The price was better than average, the rooms were all clean and the staff was great. This hotel is off the main strip, but the hotel offers a shuttle to and from the strip which is real user friendly. It does shut down around 10 or 11 and the cab ride is around $20. Also, one thing to keep in mind is when you get off your plan the double tree has a shuttle that will pick you up, I did not know this and paid for a cab. All in all I will be back. The only other place that I would consider staying is the ocean key resort, but it is much much more expensive.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank majoo7
Chicago, IL, USA
Reviewed January 27, 2008

I stayed here with a friend for two nights in mid-January. I booked using Hilton Honors Points so I'm not sure what the room rates were during that period.

We had a room overlooking the pool with a small balcony. Although the room was not large, per se, it was comfortable enough for us. The beds were great with plenty of nicer quality pillows.

The pool was a decent size. Drink service was a little slow and it took a while to get the server's attention (there was only one server for the entire pool area). However, once we got her attention, she checked in with us regularly and we had no problem getting drinks in a acceptably timely fashion.

The shuttle to downtown ran on time and was a nice convenience. We did wish it ran a later than 11pm though.

Breakfast was fine. Did not experience customer service issues like those mentioned in other reviews. I found the staff to be polite and hard working. When certain food items ran out, they were replaced soon afterward.

Overall, I would definitely return--just wish the hotel was closer to Duvall!

• Liked — Room was free with Hilton Honors points
  • Disliked — Not near Duval and nightlife
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank ChicagoAlli
NY
Reviewed January 23, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night visit...Could not have been happier! At check in, we were greeted by Alex who most certainly made us feel welcomed. He even arranged to have the mini bar emptied so that we could use the refridgerator.
Great room with a pool view. Very relaxing surroundings which is exactly what we needed. Waitress service around the pool was a nice touch.
Shuttle service into Key West was fast and a lot of fun.
Can't wait to return.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nyyaya
Netherlands
Reviewed January 17, 2008

After new years we spent one night at this hotel!
As we are members of the Hilton Honers membership we received an upgrade to the Junior Suite.
This was absolutely lovely! Great view on the pool, the beds were amazing and the hotel looked very pretty!

We wished we could spend an extra day here!

However...be warned for the personell at breakfast!
They are not fast and absolutely not friendly.
We as Dutch people are used to this, but even for our standards they are not friendly.
They won't apologize if they make a mess (they dropped a glas with orange juice..a person all over, and didn't even apologize!).
Also they roll their eyes if you ask where your toast is (after waiting 20 minutes) .
If you want to get something from the buffet is always empty!

But that aside.....the hotel is awesome!

It's not in downtown Key West, however we loved it as it only a 10 minute drive!

• Liked — The room!!
  • Disliked — The breakfast personell
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CindyBor
Tulsa
Reviewed January 4, 2008

The resort was nice, the rooms spacious and clean. Pool area beautiful. We took the shuttle into town every time and it was quick and easy. The property has a beach recommendation about a mile away. The service was terrible. For $400 a night, one would expect excellent
service. We would sit and wait on waitresses, the pool bar, ON new years eve was unattended for a while and several people waiting on drinks. Everyone was nice, just not attentive.

I would stay in this hotel again but not for the price.

• Stayed December 2007