“Okay resort needs some work” 3 of 5 bubbles

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
CT
“Okay resort needs some work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2007

My wife and I just visited the hotel for a family wedding. Hotel had acceptable rooms and we were upgraded due to my diamond status with Hilton. The suite we were given was a little cramped due to the hotel stuffing it with so much furniture. If it was more than my wife and I, we would have had no room to move around at all.

The pool area was clean but the service was terrible. The waitress at the pool was lost any time the order grew past 4 drinks. She was extremely rude and nothing is her fault, either you confuse her or she just delivers the drinks she doesn't make them. So if you don't like it or it takes too long go talk to them.

After 2 days it actually became amusing. The 3rd day, the bar tender the first 2 days was the pool server and it was much better. Friendly, attentive and it actually seemed she cared.

The holel overall looked like it could use some updating but if your looking for a place to stay and go into town at night it will meet your needs.

They run a shuttle every hour to downtown (not every 30 minutes as their website says).

The hotel is not on the water, if your looking for that, look into either the courtyard or the westin.

• Liked — easy drive to airport
  • Disliked — waitress service at the pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MauiMarkCT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2007

It's all about what week you go. My husband and I were there from Sept. 23rd thru Sept. 28th, and had just missed the bike week. Thanks goodness because the place was virtually deserted. At most there were 15 people at the pool. So it's prudent to ask what events are going on; I just got lucky! The hotel is nice, not great but it was fine. We did not want to be downtown so this was fine. Remember that this island is only 2 miles by 4 miles, and the hotel runs hourly shuttles downtown and to the nearby beach. Overall our experience was great, but again, our timing was perfect!

• Liked — The pool staff and service was great! The food prices are reasonable for a resort.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kerwin0959
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

We didn’t know that our reservations coincided with the 35th Annual Cycle Poker Run where thousands of motorcycle riders converged on Key West. The hotel was jammed
and noisy. At the reservation desk we asked for a quiet room…it was directly over the pool. The next room was directly across from the elevator. The third room was over the pool but higher up. The only other option was a room over the parking lot where the cycles were roaring in and out. We ended up with that third room. The breakfast buffet scrambled eggs were kind of runny.
There is a great little deli “Seaside Grocery and Deli” within 75 feet of the hotel. They made great sandwiches and had a small bakery.
What we learned…..next time when I will confirm reservations I will ask about any special events and avoid the Poker Run.

• Stayed September 2007
6 Thank MarJan6861
Milan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2007

The hotel is great. We liked our room, it was big and very clean. The bed was very confortable. THe bathroom was nice and clean, with lots of samples from Neutrogena.
The swimming pool was very nice and clean.
The hotel is not in the center or key West or near the beach, but they have a nice shuttle service taking you to the beach and to the center every hour.
I would certainly reccommend this hotel.

• Liked — The room was very clean and roomy
  • Disliked — The hotel is not close to the beach nor the center.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MATOA
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Key West and staying at the Double Tree. It was extremely relaxing and enjoyable.

For all people who have visited Key West this hotel located closer to "old town" near Ft. Zachary park, local beaches, and away from the craziness Duvall Street entails.

The hotel conviently offers on the hour shuttle service to two seperate downtown locations which is extremely convient. If you ever need to know local history or questions about "Robert the Doll" the shuttle chauffer is more than happy to answer questions and provide local history. It was awesome esp since I wanted to get away from all the crazy drunks on Duvalle and this resort def offered a relaxing atmosphere.

Our room was very comfy and clean as well as plenty of Neurogena products stocked in the room. The pool was warm, relaxing and very inviting. The cocktail waitresses were so sweet and nice bringing drinks pool side as well as yummy appetizers.

The only complaint I have is the breakfast service. ATROCIOUS! The staff serving breakfast seemed rude and could'nt be bothered coming back to refill coffee or water. He served my meal and never came back, I waited a half hour for the check to finally arrive. I got so frustrated I told the hostess to bill my room. I think the staff needs to work on being more friendly towards the guests.

Bar was super cheap and it made it inexpensive to have a good time down there.

I would more than likely come back.

• Liked — comfy room
  • Disliked — rude breakfast staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Kiki12345
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2007

Our stay at the doubletree was pretty decent; we were on points, so perhaps this helps. We were upgraded to a suite which was nice. The room was excellent, no complaints.

Breakfast was a real let down and really the only thing we can complain about; we recieved the free breakfast tickets (as all reward stays do) which usually includes a hot breakfast and/or a DECENT continental breakfast. Well this time the continental breakfast was dismal; 5 cereals to choose from, and 3 fruits. NO yoghurts, breads, muffins, etc!! Very dissapointing.

I can understand why people might be dissapointed that theres no beach on site (its a bus jouney away) however we knew in advance that this was going to be the case; from the shear fact that Key West has no beaches, apart from a few man made ones and those who are rich enough to afford a privat eproperty with one! However, the bus jouney is really not that much of an inconvienience, it only takes 10-15 mins and runs at least once per hour from 8am to about 5pm.

The shuttle into town is also fine, the previous guy may not have been aware that the shuttle makes 2 stops, and infact stops at Duval Square which requires a one block walk to Duval Street. If you miss the bus, a taxi past midnight costs about $15+tip.

Paking is tricky, we drove in a couple of times, it can be anywhere up to $25 for 15 minutes so make sure you have quarters ready. I wouldnt even try parking during high season (winter).

The beach is really nothing to write home about, but then again, you should know if you are coming to KW that beaches are not the main attraction. The snorkle trip to the reef is absolutley worth it, parrot fish, nurse sharks, etc Its great!

• Liked — pool, room, regular bus service to beach/town
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michelle_car
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

I was very disappointed with my stay at the Doubletree Grand Key West.

My first disappointment was upon check in, when I discovered that there was no beach on the property, when the web site clearly described a “Beach Club” with the following “Our "Beach Club" offers complimentary lounge chairs, umbrellas and beach towels. Sailing, snorkeling, parasailing and many other beachside activities available for nominal fee.”

This was a business trip for me, and my wife and children accompanied me on the trip. I booked this hotel strictly on the fact that the web site implied there was a beach on property. I consider this to be deceptive trade practices.

Secondly, there is a shuttle from the hotel to Duval Street and my family was told they would be dropped off between Duvall and Front Street. However, the shuttle actually drops everyone off 12 blocks from there!

The final disappointment came at check out. There was an invalid charge from July 12 for $11.68 on my bill. I told the front desk that the bill was fine, except for the $11.68 charge and asked them to remove it. They told me that they felt the charge was valid and gave me a manila envelope which contained all restaurants and bar receipts from July 12 and told me to find the charge in question. I found the receipt in question and it was supposed to be charged to room 364. I was in room 344.

When I complained to the manager that my check out was delayed by 30 minutes to dispute an $11.68 charge, his response was that “It is our policy and there is nothing I can do.”

Double tree is the only hotel I have ever visited that does not empower its front desk personnel to handle a small discrepancy on a bill.

It will now be my policy to never make the mistake again of staying a Doubletree and I will forever be reluctant to stay at a Hilton property again.

• Liked — The food was OK
  • Disliked — The location and staff were the worst I have experienced in a long time
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business