“lumpy mattress, but great staff!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West
Ranked #36 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tokyo, Japan
“lumpy mattress, but great staff!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed here for four nights, complimentary breakfast was helpful and staff was just great. I requested for a box of tissue and initially got declined because it was late at night and there was no one else but her at the reception. She called me back and said "I'm coming to deliver your kleenex!" Showed up at my door in matters of 60sec. Very impressive.

Only bad thing about this place was the pull out sofa bed that I slept in.
the mattress was old and lumpy, I could see springs sticking out on the surface of the bed.
I had hard time sleeping and woke up several times each night, but there wasn't any other room available for us to move.
Also, the sofa bed was never made by the house keeper for some reason.
I specifically asked the housekeeper to put sheets on it, and make it but guess she didn't understand me. (she spoke very limited english)

Construction could be annoying, but requested the far room from the road helped, and we barely heard any noise at night.

I'd come back if I had a chance, but will make sure to not to stay in the one bedroom suite next time with the horrible mattress. :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
jjdru429, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel! I am very sorry that the housekeeper misunderstood you and that mattress was uncomfortable. The hotel is going through a complete renovation in July which includes new sofabeds.

The road constrcution has been going on for over 2 years, but is schedule to be completed by end of July. The Island is ready for the construction to be done.

I do hope the next time you are back in Key West you will come and check out our beautiful new hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Czech first
Key West, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Heavy Road Constitution work going on right in front of the Hotel. Work goes on all night. It is almost impossible to sleep, because of notice from heavy equipment. There was nö information about this in advance. When we complained, we were told that the situation excists since 2012.
Horrible, unbareable

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 46Vielreisende
FFIKEYWESTMgmt, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
I am very sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced by construction happening. The project currently encompasses all of N. Roosevelt Blvd and yes it has been going on for a while now. The good news is that the construction is almost over. Thank you for your review.
Ohio
Reviewed May 7, 2014

First of all those looking for the amenities that the Ritz or a Conrad Hotel offers then don't book here. You will be disappointed. If you are like us and like to travel a lot and must stay on a budget this is your place. I had read other reviews when we booked this room so was a little leery what we may find. What we found was exactly what we were looking for, a clean room and well maintained property in an island paradise. Now we did have a problem with the air conditioning in our room when we first checked in. We went to the front desk and the maintenance man almost beat us back to the room. He couldn't fix it so we were given another room which though smaller (they had upgraded us as we are Marriott rewards members) was just fine for us it's Key West why does it matter how big the room is you shouldn't do anything there but sleep!! The next day at check out the manager informed us that they had added bonus points to our rewards card (Yay! Free night in Denver next month thank you). We were happy just getting a nice room with a/c that worked. That exceeded our expectations. The pool area is VERY nice and the gentleman working the tiki bar was very friendly. Wish I could remember names. If you want a decent place to lay your head at night with a friendly staff at a good cost don't be led astray by these other negative comments. It is not a 5 star hotel but then again neither is the price. Go stay and enjoy Key West with a few extra bucks to spend on Duval St.

Room Tip: If you like second floor rooms and have a lot of luggage ask for room in building that has an elevat...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
I am very excited that we were able to exceed your expectations!! I am very sorry that your AC stopped working but i am glad to hear we were able to fix the problem fast and get you settled into a new room with out interrupting your vacation. Thank you for the great comments about our bartenders they truly make the experience when your lounging by the pool. We can't wait until we see you again next year!!
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I was really hoping to give this hotel a good review, but little by little things got worse. The worst of it was when we received our invoice the day of check out. When I booked online through Marriott's website, I booked $309 for the first night and $229 for the second and third nights. When I got my invoice, it showed $309 for the first 2 nights and $229 for the last night, an increase of $80 to me. You can't tell me that with today's technology, and the fact that I booked directly through Marriott, that it was an accident. I'm wondering if this happens more often than people realize.

The breakfast was good, but it was the same food everyday. I was hoping they would change it up a little, but they never did. The short lady refilling the food was pushy. I was standing waiting for my bagel to toast when she wanted to fill the bagels. She literally pushed on me to move. She couldn't wait 30 seconds???? Carlos in the breakfast was wonderful though. He knew it was our first day and asked out plans. He suggested we go to Duval Street and Mallory Square. He wasn't trying to sell us anything.

I realize it's an older building, so I understand the outdated tile and such. However, the door panels on the bathroom door had not been dusted in months, there was rust in the doorways, and you could tell there had been water damage at some time in the bathroom. The bed was not very comfortable, but he studio room was quite large.

The exterior of the building is real cute, and the pool area is beautiful. The work out room is small, but ok. They don't have the free 'cheap' ear buds for the tv's on the machines though. There is construction in the area, which we knew ahead of time. It's not very convenient to the tourist areas, but we were ok with that.

All in all, the staff was very friendly, which is why I wanted to give this hotel a better review. But, when they tried to overcharge me, I was very disappointed. Hotels in Key West are very expensive, they don't need to charge any extra.

Green Features: They need to have a recycle basket in each room, as well as more baskets centrally located.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry that there was a mistake with your bill. The mistake was not intentional it was simply an error. The error was fixed immediately when you brought this to the attention of the front desk. I am also sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with one our team members at breakfast. I am sure you feel also that is not the norm as you commented on how friendly everyone was during your stay. We value your comments and feed back. Thank you for your review.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 3, 2014

From the first day we arrived our hotel a/c didn't go below 77 degrees. I called maintenance everyday, sometimes twice a day and they kept telling me they fixed it. They never fixed it. On the last night of our one week stay the manager offered us a different room and a fan. A little late I think.
On our second day someone used rotten milk to make the scrambled eggs on the breakfast buffet. When I advised them the eggs tasted like rotten milk they said "sorry you don't like them".
The bed was an old spring bed. It was awful. The pillows were flat. The blankets were more like a top sheet but we couldn't use them anyway because our room was so hot.
For over $200 a night this hotel should be ashamed of themselves. I've had much better quality for half the price.
I would recommend the Best Western Key Ambassador which is where we switched to on our 7th night. The breakfast buffet was great, the beds were comfy, the a/c worked, they had an airport shuttle , and the staff was nice. Slightly more money but well worth it and we had an oceanfront room.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Darkego
FFIKEYWESTMgmt, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a great stay. I do understand that you had some AC issues in your room and i will defiantly be looking into this to make sure we do not have further issues in the future. As for your breakfast experience I apology if you had eggs that were unsatisfactory. Thank for your review.
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Facility was clean, and the price was very reasonable. Room was very small, but we hadn't planned to spend much time in it anyway. Pool, bar, and bike rental were all very convenient and nice. It was a little far (not walking distance) from all of the Key West Attractions, relatively speaking, but we didn't mind the exercise on our rented bikes. The road construction made biking a little challenging, but we made it work. We would stay there again for a budget-friendly trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tiffanyshasta
jjdru429, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your review! I'm glad you were able to enjoy our facilities. The road construction is schedule to be finished in July and we are excited about that. Look forward to your next visit with us.
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was very suitable for our one night trip to the keys, however I was quite insulted to be given Plastic disposable cutlery for breakfast, I do not expect this in any hotel never mind a Marriott.
Why do Hotel was very suitable for our one night trip to the keys, however I was quite insulted to be given Plastic disposable cutlery for breakfast, I do not expect this in any hotel never mind a Marriott the reviews have to be 200 words long?

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
I am extremely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our poolside breakfast. There is actually a Florida State law prohibiting glassware in pool enclosures. We use some disposable and some recyclable utensils in order to be more eco-friendly and still remain compliant with the laws. Again, I am sorry that this didn't meet your needs. We certainly apprecaite you taking the time to respond.