“Happily, 2nd time same as the 1st stay!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Happily, 2nd time same as the 1st stay!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We stayed here in 2011, and when we booked this trip in early March, we hoped for the same type of experience we had back then and were not disappointed. I must mention that we paid a lot more money this time which concerned me for a Fairfield property, but the prices were high across the island (I think b/c of the bad weather we've had in the US, everyone's gone to Key West!!) I had a bad experience at "paying less" at another KW property years ago and didn't want to make that mistake again so we booked here based on our 2011 trip. We were relieved and happy to find the same excellent service, clean property and overall reason to recommend this place.

We noticed that the front desk staff & breakfast staff genuinely greets all guests with a smile & hello--nothing is forced, and they make you feel that you are a valued guest throughout the entire say. Our first night, the air conditioning went out and when I called the next morning to report it, they had someone up to fix it in under 10 minutes from when I called. Our only "complaint" would be that the AC in our room was so loud that when it went on, we could not hear the TV (even on max volume) but since we weren't here to watch TV, I didn't even mention it.

The daily hot breakfast buffet did the trick & started our perfect daily routine: Get up, go to breakfast, grab the USA Today under the coconut by the bar (or local KW paper in the lobby), find 2 lounge chairs by the beautiful pool and swim and relax for hours! It was great. They also have a clean gym with 2 treadmills, an elliptical, (they had one other piece of cardio, but I forget what it is), TV's on cardio machines (so bring headphones or they do have TV above the machines as well), a workout bench & hand weights. I was in there 3 times and pretty much had it to myself.

This hotel is 1.8 miles from Duval St., but we welcomed the daily walk for exercise & cabbed it back each night (about $12-$15 w/tip). If you're looking for some great BBQ, Daddy Bones is a fantastic, rustic place literally right next door that you should not miss!!

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel if you don't mind walking or have a car. It's not the prettiest location on the island given it's right on N. Roosevelt, but we had a fantastic trip, met great people at our hotel-both staff & guests, and hope that when the Marriott opens the new Fairfield down the road later this year, that this current Fairfield will continue on the way they are now--a reliable, clean, friendly hotel. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool (vs. outside of hotel)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsLineaM
FFIKEYWESTMgmt, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
I am excited to hear you had such a great experience on your second visit to the hotel and that you had great interactions will all of our team members. Yes the weather has been great down here and it is a great way to start your day off by eating breakfast by the pool. We cannot wait until we see you again for your third visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Czech first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Pool was great, My four year old daughter had a Blast, We LOVED breakfast, Staff was very helpful and our Room was Cute and Comfortable. We rented bikes and everything was about 10 minutes away. We'll definitely stay again :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
I was really glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the pool and facilities. Thank you for sharing!
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed there during March break last month. I am not going to mention how much we spent, but I will mention our disappointment with the property. Of course, we knew prices would be higher, but it was simply outrageous to charge that much for so little in return.
The little glass of high-sugar juice they offer as a welcome drink do not make up for the motel feeling that this property offers.
We stayed in Marriott properties all over the world, but this one was less than average.
At least parking was free and convenient. So was express check out...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Guizzi123
FFIKEYWESTMgmt, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
I certainly apologize if we did not meet your expectations. We value your input and feedback. Thank you for your review.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Check in was efficient and pleasant. Jessica assured us we had free parking, free internet, free breakfast & 2 for 1 drinks at the Tiki bar. She was the best of the well trained staff (we frequently stay at the key largo Marriott resort, who utilize noticeably less experienced staff at front desk).
The room was a double double suite with a living room with 2 tables, fold out couch, & TV, single sink in bedroom, toilet in room with tub / shower,

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
FFIKEYWESTMgmt, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
I am glad Jessica was able to assist you with all of your needs she is an asset to the front desk team. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, thank you for the review.
Newbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I can't say we weren't forewarned as we had read some bad reviews, but we are partial to Marriott properties and figured a Marriott category 7 hotel can't be that bad. Well, we've stayed in many category 4's that are far superior. Is it a 7 being in Key West? Or the price? Someone had told us they thought it was a remodeling of a different chain (Best Western?) and it was reminiscent of 40 years ago with its outside walkways. Our "suite" was small and the furniture tired to say the least. The arm covers on the sofa were frayed and the room didn't feel clean, although I have to say in fairness we didn't give it a white glove test. Our bed was comfortable enough, and the lone saving grace was a very nice shower, so a poor rather than terrible rating. After first inspecting the room we canceled our reservation for the second night and found a much nicer room elsewhere and at a lesser rate. We left early the next morning, foregoing our "free" breakfast. This was one of four Marriott properties in which we stayed on the trip, the other three lower in category and far superior.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RHM-64
I certainly apologize if our rooms did not meet your expectations. We have operated as a Fairfield Inn and Suites since 1992. We value your input and feedback. Thank you for your review.
Reviewed April 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights and had an overall very good experience. The rooms are comfortable and clean. We were greeted at check-in by very friendly staff - Igor and Veronica - who gave us Mardi Gras beads and a delicious fruit drink. The staff continued to provide us lots of detail on the property and the Key West area.

We were upgraded to a King Suite right above the lobby due to our Marriott Rewards status (Silver Elite). The room was spacious and comfortable. You can tell the buildings are older, but they've been nicely updated and maintained. Our unit had a big walk-in shower, the kind we keep saying we'd like to build in our own house. Our unit had a balcony with partial views of the big pool.

My only complaint about the room was that it was between the pool and the road, so there was a decent amount of noise. We were both woken up a few times during each night. It wasn't excessive, though, a minor annoyance.

The pool is the highlight of the property, along with its tiki bar. The water is pretty warm (could be warmer) and the fountains drown out the road noise nicely. The bartender is very nice, and his drinks were delicious (but pricey). He's a Connecticut native, so we could relate on our hatred of cold winters.

My first complaint is that the breakfast was disappointing. Maybe its the Fairfield Inn standard, but the hot food was low quality. We have stayed at other Marriott properties that have higher quality hot food. We pretty much stuck to bagels and fresh fruit. For whatever reason, I'm guessing cost, the hot food felt like it was out of a Jimmy Dean frozen breakfast.

My second (and last) complaint is that the location isn't ideal for a Key West vacation. The resort doesn't offer a shuttle (unlike the other 2 Marriott properties on the island), so we had to pay a $10-$15 taxi fare each way to get to the Duval Street area. We knew this when we booked, so it wasn't a surprise, but it did start to feel excessive after a couple days. There's an island bus service which we thought we might use, but it is very infrequent and not too close to this hotel. The trolley tour service is pricey.

if the breakfast was bigger, and the transportation easier, I'd give this a 5 star review. When we return to Key West, we're going to explore other options that are closer to Duval Street, or provide transportation. Like I said above, the pool and the staff really helped make this experience enjoyable.

(One last note on that staff. I give them lots of credit for the way they handled a difficult situation while we were there. We observed on a couple occasions a family by the pool who had a member of their party display behaviors consistent with special needs. Observing from a distance, the staff seemed to bend over backwards to help them out and make their experience enjoyable. We didn't have any direct interactions in their situation, and were trying to respect their privacy, but we felt happy with what we observed.)

Room Tip: Our room above the lobby had a lot of street noise. The rooms further away from the street might be...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
I am glad you had a great experience and were able to relax by the pool! Thank you for your review.
London
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Unfortunately really disappointed with this establishment, we ended up moving down the road to the Marriott Beachside. Check in was ok, but after parking and walking up to the rooms we really felt this was a dive. There were people tearing around on motorbikes in the car park, others hanging around in the shadows and the place seemed dead and very scruffy.

The rooms would have been ok, in their day, but were dirty and did not appear looked after. Tiled floors, double bed, a table with two chairs, fridge, draws, rail with a few hangers on it, bathroom area was part of room, separate shower and toilet area. After attempting unpacking (there was no wardrobe), I sat down on a chair to find there was no actual seat in it and the cushion just pushed through and fell on the floor - frankly dangerous. Tried to call the front desk; phone didn't work. Sat down on the bed, crossed my legs and was appalled to see the accumulated filth on my feet from just walking around the room unpacking for 20 minutes (see photo). There was a very strange smell in the bathroom - a sort of ammonia rich drain aroma, not pleasant at all. The air conditioning unit sounded like a lawnmower, and was wholly inadequate - when set to 65'F the room stayed at around 80'F (see photo). After communicating our displeasure to the front desk, we were informed the manager had gone home and that there were only junior staff available - not good enough. The staff on the desk apologised and moved us to a different room; whilst the chair was still functioning the floors were filthy, the air con unit was just as loud and ineffectual, and the shower had a worse smell. The walls were very thin and whilst we lay on the bed in the hot, humid, dirty and smelly environment, we could hear neighbours in the next room give each other a jolly good time in to the small hours. All this added up to just about the worst night's sleep I've ever had; the rest of the party was similarly disgusted and we decided to move hotels.

Breakfast - was ok, would have been better if I was hungover. Decent fruit and cereal, but the sausages and eggs were greasy and tasted like they had been cooked and warmed up. The serving staff were, however, charming and very helpful - which was appreciated.

The pool was very nice, large and appeared well kept. Did not drink in the bar but it looked ok. One of our rooms was meant to be a "pool view" - in effect the view from the bedroom was on to an outdoor corridor/walkway with a very large tree entirely blocking the view to the pool (which also made the room very dark). The cleaning staff were nice and friendly, but used the same mop to clean every floor surface (reminded me of that scene from 'The Beach' when the cleaner is mopping the lightbulb) - the water in the bucket was black, which explained why the floors in the rooms were so grim.

The Fairfield Inn and Suites is perfect if you want to get hammered in the town and stagger back to your room in the dead of night, but NOT a place to go to relax or unwind on holiday. The hotel is well situated to the centre of Key West, with shuttle bus. The outdoor corridors don't give an air of security, as basically anyone could wander in off the street. For the price we expected a great deal more, will not be returning and would not recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I certainly apologize if our rooms and the breakfast buffet did not meet your expectations. We value your input and feedback. Thank you for your review.