“Not downtown good value”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West
Ranked #36 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
Harwich, Massachusetts
“Not downtown good value”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Key West hotels can get very pricey this is a good for the budget finder. Old hotel that's been cleaned up but still needs some minor work. The staff was extremely helpful, although they were from England. Construction along Roosevelt blvd makes it difficult to get in & out, the work has been going on for 2 years I was told. Key West has a shortage of rooms in prime season I'm glad I found this place.

• Stayed February 2014
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for responding.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Czech first
Knoxville
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by the ambience at the Fairfield Inn. The construction on Roosevelt Blvd is a nuisance in front of the hotel but is almost completed. They were working on the sidewalk the day we were there at the end if January. The rooms face a lovely courtyard with a large pool and fountains spraying into pool. A very nice breakfast was served in the veranda at the pool. It is on a busy street but the Old Time Trolley stops in front of the hotel and takes you directly to Mallory Square. Tickets can be purchased at the front desk. The bike path is on the opposite side of the street and there are bikes for rent at the hotel. We had a king suite which was very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on back or sides because Roosevelt Blvd can be noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. We hope to see you next time you're in town.
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Room was an average size and quality but the pool facility and breakfast were very good. Close enough to the center of town to get a taxi for about $10. Its on the main road so lots of facilities around. Staff were great and offered good advice. Would recommend it as palace to stay for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Would recommend pool view room rather than back of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michael m
Thank you for the detailed response. Your feedback is appreciated.
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This time my daughter-in-law chose our hotel for overnight. I taught her well. Even though our room was small with tile flooring which felt cold, it was nice and our balcony overlooked a fantastic pool! We were not close to Duval or Mallory Square, but driving and parking was easy so we could see the sun set at the bottom of Florida and eventually returned to swim in the pool before bedtime. I was able to do my laps; we all had a cocktail at the pool bar and in the morning, a fantastic complete complimentary breakfast was eaten by everyone. We were treated so well, that we stayed as long as we could including swimming again in the morning.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room overlooking the pool and above the first floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank nanceb1439
Glad you had fun! See you next visit!
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

This is probably an old motel that has been remodeled. Rooms are small and the air conditioner was extremely loud. If I were to stay there again, I would ask for a room that faced the pool area. Aside from a better view, I would feel safer with a room that did not open over a back parking lot. The breakfast was one of the better "free" hotel breakfasts I have experienced and their dining area was very nice. The shuttle worked well for us and the front desk was ver helpful.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
I am sorry that we didn't leave you with a better impression. Thank you very much for the detailed response. We appreciate your time and input.
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Fairfield in was a great place to stay. The breakfast was excellent.

The front desk staff were extremely helpful and the bar tenders, Lisa and Wink, offered excellent advice and discount coupons that saved us a few bucks.

It'll be the only place I stay in Key West from now on.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
We think Lisa and Wink are superstars too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! See you next visit!
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Based on other reviews, it seems people either love or hate this place. I loved it. I stayed in room 236 on Saturday, February 1, 2014.

I first want to make note of a nice employee. Veronice checked me in – she was very sweet. As soon as I went in my room, a smoke alarm malfunctioned and started beeping. I called down to her and immediately, I mean within seconds, a guy knocked on the door and fixed it. That night I found a note in my room from Veronice apologizing for the inconvenience (it SO wasn’t any inconvenience at all) and tix for free drinks at the Tiki Bar there in the hotel. Even though the alarm issue was really a non-issue for me, I thought she was so nice to apologize for it.

I will begin with all that is great about this hotel. For starters, I love the Key West feel to it. They keep the décor very Key Westy – love it. The rooms are painted cool colors, and have “shutter-type” windows that are very nice touches. My room had 2 double beds (double, not queen). The beds were very comfortable, and the sheets were crisp and clean. One thing in particular I liked was that the room was tiled, instead of carpeted – never saw that before. To me, tile seems so much cleaner than carpet. The vanity area is outside of the toilet/shower area and the countertops were also tiled - I LOVED that tile; it gave the room very nice character (see my photos). There was a little cubby hole for extra towels and the coffee pot. The bathroom was super-clean, and I say that because the shower had glass doors that were spotless! I liked the glass doors rather than a shower curtain. There were plenty of fresh, big towels. My room also had a microwave and a frig. Even though it was February, it was still hot outside – but, the A/C was very efficient and kept the room very comfortable.

The breakfast area is by the pool and is big, and airy, with nice fans and, again, the Key West-type, laid-back décor. The breakfast on Sunday was till 11am - I LOVED THAT. In most hotels, it’s only till 9:30am, sometimes 10am. It’s a huge breakfast buffet with anything you could want. You can eat under the open-air shelter, or out by the pool. Whichever you choose, it is relaxing and beautiful. The people who run the breakfast are just so nice (as was everyone at this hotel who I came into contact with). They are helpful, keep the place clean, and were pleasant and nice. Great staff!

Now that pool. The pool here is something you would see in a resort. It is HUGE, with fountains, and lots of beautiful palm trees and foliage. There were a lot of people at the pool, but it didn’t seem crowded because the pool is so big. Right by the pool is the breakfast / eating area, and a Tiki Bar that opens at noon. There are also very nicely-kept restrooms right by the pool. The pool area, even if you don’t go in the pool, is really such a beautiful area to relax and chill-out.

The parking for this hotel is free. There is a LOT of covered parking, but if that is full (it never was for me), then there is plenty of regular parking. Wifi is also free here, and it is really good wifi. It was speedy in my room, and by the pool and bar.

The hotel does have a couple negatives. One is that the rooms open to outdoor corridors – like old style. Normally, I don’t like that, but my room opened to a view of the magnificent pool, so I was okay with it. Another negative is the room was very small. With the 2 beds, a tiny table, and the dresser with the TV, there wasn’t much move-around space. It was comfortable for 2 people, but would be tight for 4. And, the bathroom was really, really small; yet, the shower was very roomy – if that makes sense. Try and get a pool view room; otherwise, you overlook the parking lot – NOT a nice view. The biggest negative is the price. This hotel is expensive! It was over $200 a night (Feb. 2014), so I opted to use my Marriott points. When I normally use 10,000 or 15,000 points – this hotel was 35,000 points. That’s New York expensive! But, in all fairness to the hotel, I shopped around for cheaper and that was the going rate! Key West is just an expensive place to stay!

The location is decent, less than 2 miles from downtown Key West. I noticed that there were a lot of bicycles (and scooters) in the covered parking area, so I think you can rent a bike/scooter from the hotel – which would be an excellent choice. Key West is small and with a bike or a scooter you can get all over the island in minimal time and not have to look for parking downtown (downtown street parking was $2 an hour). You won’t have a problem walking or biking around Key West – it is very laid back and even though there is traffic, the streets are small and it is very pedestrian and bicycle-friendly.

I liked the hotel and would most definitely stay here again. The laid-back feel, the décor and the friendly employees really made it a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Definitely get a pool-side view. The parking lot view is NOT pretty!
Green Features: I love that they used paper plates and cups in the breakfast area, instead of Styrofoam. While real dishes would be better, paper is a good start and better for landfills.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank tczig
Thank you very much! I honestly beleieve that this is the most detailed review that I have ever receieved! I certainly appreciate the time and thought that you put into your response. We value your opinion and plan to share your experience with our team. It is the most powerful tool that we have at our disposal to continue to learn, grow, and improve. Thanks again!