“Charming hotel!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Charming hotel!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked a trip to Key West two weeks in advance, so hotel options were limited. The Fairfield Inn and Suites was great! The pool area is absolutely beautiful, with swaying palms and lush vegetation flanking a beautiful (heated!)pool that's about 4.5 feet deep at the deepest part. If the spoils of Duval street weren't so tempting I could've stayed in that pool the whole trip! If only they'd get rid of a few lounge chairs and throw in a hot tub it'd be perfect ;)

We had a King Suite which was very spacious and beautifully decorated. The bed was divine, and the bathroom pretty and spotless. There was no tub though, although that wasn't a problem for me. The room included a balcony overlooking the pool.

The tiki bar was great - too bad it has to close at 8pm. We made friends with a bartender who called himself "Wink" and hooked me up with a ridiculously delicious mango daiquiri. Thanks Wink!

The included breakfast buffet was as expected - biscuits, bagels, cereal, fruit, yogurt, make-your-own waffles, etc. Don't expect, say, salmon benedict, but it's enough to fill the hole. Breakfast is served poolside, which is bliss.

It's on the far end of Key West from Duval St, but it was only a $10ish cab ride each way, and a peaceful retreat after a night of soaking up the nightlife.

Even the act of writing this review from snowy Canada makes me ache for this place. We'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shooting_star32
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I am sorry to hear that the tiki bar closed to early for you. It is surrounded in close proximity by our sleeping rooms so we try to keep it quiet and comfortable. I am glad that Wink helped you to enjoy your visit. He is a great tour guide and a valuable member of our team. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Czech first
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

If it wasn't for sales director Nick at breakfast check on me Every day to make sure i was Having a grandiose time. I think I'd rate the hotel differently.  I do have to say,  "i went from the pool to the front desk and  I stepped in a pile of bird droppings with my bare feet- I was appalled!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Mainetourists
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for the great review. Nick is truly an asset to the team. We are very lucky to have him in our corner. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit!
Alpharetta, GA USA
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Beautiful tropic property, free breakfast daily, wonderful staff. No hotel shuttle means you take a cab, or rent a scooter or bike - both available at on site rental counter.
Small fridge in room, rooms open to outside and a view of the pool with fountains.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank jonk73
Thank you for the detailed response. In addition to the modes of transportation that you mentioned we are also a stop on the Old Town Trolley tour. Tickets are available at our desk and are good for two days. I certainly hope that you were not inconvenienced. Best regards.
Midwest
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Overall, we had a very nice trip. I would stay again.
PROS
The hotel staff was VERY friendly
The hotel lobby and rooms were very clean.
FREE breakfast every morning! Waffles, egg sandwiches, fruit, cereal, bagels and much more, all was very good.
The pool and poolside bar are very nice. No problems getting a seat at the pool.
We had a room with the small living space with pull out sofa which was nice.
In room fridge and microwave.

CONS
The beds are REALLY uncomfortable, in fact the pull out sofa was more comfortable than the beds...sad! If you have a bad back consider staying at the Marriott instead, the Fairfield beds are not to typical Marriott standards.
The hotel is too far from the attractions to walk, we had to cab it every day which got expensive. We should have rented a car. The hotel is in a "not so desirable" part of town, pretty much were the "locals" live and a little run down looking.
Walking space in rooms are pretty small.
Bathroom is very small.
Only one mirror in room which is tough with 3 or more people that need a mirror in morning.

Room Tip: If you can afford to stay closer to Duvall area then do so.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
I am really sorry that you didn't like your bed. They are Sealy Pillow Tops which is the Marriott standard. Again, I am sorry if you didnt find them comfortable. We certainly appreciate your time and your feedback. Best regards.
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We just spent the weekend in Key West. I hadn't been there in over 25 years. The English gal at the front desk at the Fairfield Inn named Stephanie expertly guided us around the island and we all had a great time. The hotel was very nice, nice breakfast, nice staff, nice pool, nice room, nice poolside bar but the highlight of our experience was being steered around the island with Stephanie's help and knowledge. Jet Ski and Parasailing were lots of fun. Ghost Tour was not my cup tea.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Stephanie truly is a superstar. We are very lucky to have her on the team. Thanks for the kind words. We will pass them on to the team.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Great location, Great Staff, good Breakfast. The rooms are very comfortable nothing to fancy but VERY clean. A little pricey but all the hotels are expensive in Key West in February. I was met at the front desk with a cup of the drink of the day and 3 Very nice ladies that bent over backwards to make sure I had everything I needed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm glad to hear that our team helped to make your experience. We look forward to your return visit.
Annville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were so friendly, upbeat, and welcoming. I loved receiving a frozen drink at check-in and having drinks and fruit available in the lobby around the clock was great. Loved our room. I would suggest, however, that the staff use a steam mop. After walking around for even one minute, our socks were heavily soiled. Everything was well cleaned each day except for the shower. The sand we got in there the first day stayed there all week. We appreciated being able to rent bikes right on-site. The pool area was dreamy! Also loved the tiki bar and Wink the bartendar was a lot of fun. We used the fitness center nearly every day. I would suggest that the hotel get some kind of mats to enable guests to do floor work; and put up a blind so people eating breakfast are not watching guests work out. The breakfast was the best. I love how a friendly face greeted me right away and handed me a tray. The selection was amazing and then having someone pick up me afterwards is unheard of at a complimentary breakfast. Again, the staff here is what makes this place. You can't beat the price. We highly recommend.

Room Tip: We had a king size bed with a frig and microwave.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I am very glad that you enjoyed your visit. I will certainly review your cleaning suggestions with our Housekeeping team. Thank you very much for your input.