“Could have been much better...”

The Inn at Key West
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Room wasn't ready when we arrived and the air was out in another. The pool area was nice which you better like if you go now because the city has erected a large barricade that blocks the view into the bay. That is really OK because the one way road that is a disaster to try to get on is right out front. We were moved after our first night to an upstairs room that was poor, had a view blocked by too much greenery and an AC unit that barely kept up. I used reviews to help make my decision but would not even let someone I don't like stay here. Screwed up our entire trip and WAY over priced. This is an honest review...

Room Tip: Make sure its a second floor and away from the bar. Upstairs towards the bay is best but you'll...
1  Thank Walt1967
Jon H, General Manager at The Inn at Key West, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time in providing us with your feedback. It would be greatly appreciated if you could reach out to me and let me know your room number and when you stayed here at the hotel. I appreciate honest feedback and would like to get that PTAC unit fixed.

There are newer reviews for The Inn at Key West

Reviewed February 13, 2013

but still disappointing. We booked through Expedia. It looks to be a renovated motel (rooms are all a bit small and doors are outside off a walkway, which I'm not crazy about). The room was nice enough, but housekeeping was lacking. Bed was never made (we would fold the sheet over but it wouldn't be made when we got back), ice bucket wasn't cleaned, cups weren't replaced, bathroom tub and sink weren't cleaned. All that was done daily was new towels and the garbage was emptied. My biggest pet peeve was the refrigerator was on some sort of timer, so it kept turning off, which made me crazy. The pool was gorgeous.

The other issue was it's not close to anything, but we knew that going in. We rented a car and drove near Duval Street and found street parking most days. I'm not sure how well that would work during high season but it was fine for us.

1  Thank terithecook

Thank you for taking the time and providing us with your valuable feedback. Please reach out to me with your room number and when you stayed so I can have our Executive Housekeeper take corrective action so we can improve our cleaning process.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a gorgeous property but it seems like they renovated it and then don't have the money to do the upkeep. We had a room in the main part of the hotel overlooking the GORGEOUS pool area for three nights. The last night, our power went out at 10:30 p.m. and didn't come back on until I saw the maintenance guy at 6:30 a.m. the next morning. The front desk was good about it, though, and comped our room. Overall, a great experience, though, for the money. Be sure to stop by and meet Sunny at the pool bar area - she's as sunny as her name! This hotel is a bit far from everything on Duval Street so if you want prime location, this isn't the place to be. There is a Publix grocery store and IHop right next door to the hotel so that was convenient for breakfast and groceries/drinks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool area
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon H, General Manager at The Inn at Key West, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and responding with your feedback. I appreciate the kind comments about Sunny. I am glad to hear that the Front Desk staff helped you out with the problem you had within your room.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband & I booked at this hotel for 3 nites from 28 to 31 of Jan 2013. The hotel charges were on our credit card statement 3 weeks before we even arrived. We were celebrating our anniversary & decided to splurge and book the Superior room overlooking the ocean. We were looking so forward to our first trip to Key West. My husband had spoken to someone at the hotel previously to ensure that there would be a refrigerator, microwave and safe in our room. He was reassured by hotel staff that there would be. While we were waiting to check in we observed many hotel guests smoking on their balconies! We were not impressed with this as the ad for this hotel clearly states a completely non-smoking establishment!!

Upon checking in our room we could smell smoke...but thought it was from perhaps the patio door being open and smoking from someone else's balcony drifting in...we turned on the A/C and hoped it would be ok. The room itself lacked the microwave/safety deposit box that we were promised and the view was of the very overgrown and smoke ridden pool area. My husband went to front desk and the woman behind the counter (who had a difficult time taking her eyes off her cellphone to tell him that the microwaves & safes were in the lobby). When my husband tried to get back into our room our room key would not work so another trip to the lobby and you guessed it he interrupted the hotel staff member texting on her cellphone and he had to "bother" her again. I checked the sheets and they appeared clean however when I moved them around some pennies dropped to the floor!

We decided to go to the pool to unwind after our 6 1/2 hr drive to the Keys. What met us as we entered the pool area was the heavy blanket of smoke in that area! The pool itself from what we could observe is large enough but all the overgrown foliage/trees keep any sunlight from shining in on anyone as well as letting the over hanging smoke escape upwards. We thought we would have a quick swim and leave but discovered that the pool area was disgusting...strofoam cups/lids floating in & around the pool, dirty pool towels left half-hazardly on tables, chairs/ground as well as cigarette butts lying around. People were in the hot-tub, and pool and smoking everywhere. We looked for pool towels and discovered the towels that guests were to use were these threadbare ones. I, in fact use better old rags at home for cleaning! Just as we were deciding to stay or not we observed a child blowing her nose in the pool! That did it and we returned to our room to discover that our room key was not working again. Another trip to lobby...another cellphone interruption...this time an "employee" came up to let us in. He had no hotel identification on him so I can only assume he was an employee of the hotel. He said that we were shoving our room key in too fast that is why it wasn't working.

We left hotel to go to dinner...arrived back and again couldn't get into our room...another trip to lobby (by this time we had enough)...again cellphone interruptions with the "texting" employee...sent same unidentified employee up...admitted that someone on weekends had messed up programming key cards and that is why everyone was having problems with them! Room still smells like smoke...crank up A/C more...try to turn on light at desk...won't work...discover no bulb in it!

After a rough nite of health issues (because of smoke & I have asthma and severe allergies) we decide that we cannot stay here the other two nites. We ask for refund and are told at front desk that they cannot do that and must phone Venere to get our refund. We phone Venere and are told that there is no refund. We paid well over $200.00 a nite, were charged for 3 nites and only stayed 1 nite. What a complete waste of $$, our anniversary was not the celebration we thought it would be and I have been sick ever since from the smoke!!

The Inn at Key West and its employees should be ashamed of themselves. Poor quality, terrible service, dishonest advertisement and least of all charging their customers for accomodations that they did not use!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Marie S
Jon H, General Manager at The Inn at Key West, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and sharing with us your feedback regarding your stay here at the Inn. I would truly appreciate an opportunity to speak to you and clarify a few things. We have had a key/lock issue here at the hotel and we now have new hardware in place that will read the cards properly. More specific details regarding the staff you encountered will help me coach and counsel our team and improve our service here at the hotel.

305-294-5541

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Made the reservation through Expedia, where the photos shown were great. Front desk staff friendly at first. The inside of the room (two queen beds) was nice, but the big problem was the door, it would not shut properly! It was secure, we could lock it, but there was a gap on the side and at the bottom, like it wasn't built to fit the frame. We could hear everything going on outside the room! I told the lady at the front desk, who sent a maintenance guy over, and he agreed with us, that the door had a problem. When the front desk person called me, he said the maintenance guy told her there was no problem with the door! We asked to change room, but since they had no other left, we had to stay in this one. We didn't use the pool, but I have to say that it looked great. Seemed to have a nice restaurant also, but I would surely never return there.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mpcar21

Thank you for taking the time in responding with your valuable feedback. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel so we can fix the issue with the door. We appreciate your business.

305-294-5541

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Really enjoyed my week at the hotel, particularly around the beautifully landscaped pool. ?The floating pillows in the pool are heavenly once you can get up on one!! I could have stayed on one forever. Restaurant and bar staff were very friendly and helpful. Room cleanliness could be improved--a bandaid wrapper stayed on the floor the entire week despite daily "cleaning". Concierge a little pushy about booking everything through her and was annoyed I had booked my own bicycle before arriving. Unfortunately Roosevelt Blvd. is going to be torn up outside for the next two years, so it's not easy to get to the oceanside bike and walking path. The bike ride downtown was reasonable for anyone who is used to riding, it took about about 20-30 minutes. The ride along the water down the east side was particularly beautiful in the morning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time in responding and sharing your feedback. I will use your feedback as a training tool within our housekeeping department. We appreciate your business!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at the Inn at Key West in January 2013. The hotel is conveniently located off the US 1 Hwy and a walking distance from IHOP. The rooms are spacious, it was the first time we had a French door in the bathroom, it makes it feel very "presidential " when you exit the facility<G> The beds were very comfortable, so were the pillows of different softness/firmness. The selling feature of this hotel for us was the swimming pool - it is huge, like an oasis with the floating padsthat you can lay on and relax. It is surrounded by Palm trees and beautifully lit at night. Hot tub is very nice and there are little oisier gazeboes around the pool to have your drinks or chill out in the shade. The Tikki bar has happy hour from 4-6 and drinks were awesome. Staff is pleasant and accommodating, any issues get resolved quickly and efficiently.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank fun2be

Thank you for taking the time and providing us with your valuable feedback. We appreciate your business!