Banana Bay Resort - Key West
$269
$348
$297
  • Pool
Havana Cabana at Key West(Key West)
$242
$181
Sunset Key Cottages(Key West)
$923
  • Pool
All reviewsbagelsbeach areaduval streetwater viewnice poolpool and hot tubroom was largeice machinemini fridgecoffee makertoplessgulf
Reviewed September 22, 2010

on arrival we were met by a dirty room, rubbish left in the cupboards and filthy room, this is not what we expected in this beautiful location. went to reception to see if we could upgarde to a sea view, NOWAY for you was our response, apprently they checked the room the next day for extra cleaning and there was no change, we lived with someone elses empty mcdonlads box all week. No replacement coffee, no clean towles, room stank, no way of getting any ventilation yuk. Supposed to be fresh fruit, crossiants etc for breakfast, turned out breakfast! in a room off reception that had random chairs, half jug of coffee, stale bread, crumbs and jam on table, NO WAY were we staying in there. Staff attitude is appaling how they are in the customer service industry I dont know. Only saving grace was the sun set view from the beach! which would squeeze about four people on but if you got there first you had it to yourself.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Stayed in hotel during week day and was not expecting much during a quick stay in Key West but it was really poor. The grounds of the property were in bad shape with no signs of any staff or any manager on duty.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Excellent and Fabulous. Banana Bay is PET FRIENDLY (we booked on bringfido.com) and it exceeded expectations (based on other tourist towns like Daytona and Miami). It was clean and well accomodating. The room was quaint with netting on beds. The beach was only so-so because of rock protections - you can get in water, but with difficulty. the resort faces the gulf and a couple nearby tiny keys. the water is crystal clear with abundant seagrass, fish and crabs visible, seabirds are plenty (no annoying seagulls). there are even a few rabbits that seem to be semi-domestic. The staff keeps the place tidy. The pools was hot (as expected in September). the only negative was the hot tub was not so much at times (hot tub gets some shade). The pool area is clothing optional and everyone was well mannered. the pool was visited by the 25-65 age; apparently the resort doesnt allow under 16. the clothing (less) and kid-less are big benefits. there is several large shopping across the street. the tour trams stop across street at Fairfield. no bugs - which extremely surprsing for mid-summer. the tiki bar was closed. however, I spent more on Duval per night than I did for the room (maybe I should not admit that). Nothing to complain about. We have had much less satisfying stays in Daytona and Miami ("better" more costly hotels). We will be back.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Some people are just never happy. Having said that, the term "resort" has changed somewhat over time. Back in the day, if your Florida motel had some acreage, a pool and some palm trees it was called a "resort." Now of course the word has a different meaning. The Banana Bay is certainly not on a par with a 5-star luxury hotel with all the amenities, but it is a fine place to stay if you're not Mick Jagger, and you don't want to spend a fortune on a place where you're basically just going to sleep.

My buddy and I took a trip on our motorcycles to Key West. We *could* have stayed at the Casa Marina, but didn't want that. We arrived on a weekday. The Banana Bay is out-of-the-way, and separate from all the other typical chain hotel/motels you find when you first get into KW. The staff was friendly, the place was clean - it got us wondering if the people who wrote bad reviews even stayed at the same place?

Yes, yes, the carpeting in the rooms should be replaced with tile. Other than that, the room was fine, and had the usual microwave/refrigerator/iron/hair dryer that we've come to expect. We liked the ceiling fan - nice touch! It's the tropics, after all. And we liked the little balcony with table and chairs.

The pool area was nice and clean and well-maintained. All in all, a very nice hotel! By the way, the Banana Bay had the most comfortable bed/pillows of any hotel I've stayed at recently, which has been mainly Holiday Inn Expresses and the like.

As for the breakfast... As hotels get more competitive, they offer bigger and bigger breakfast bars, to include eggs and waffles and stuff. It gets silly. You want a big breakfast? There's a Waffle House right up the street. The Banana Bay advertises and provides a continental breakfast of cereals, bagels, and muffins, with plenty of coffee and juice. What part of "continental breakfast" do people not understand? It was fine for us. Oh, there was no fresh fruit, boo-hoo. Like I said, some people are never happy.

You could eat your breakfast outside under the palm trees on a little patio by the water, which we did. Marvelous! Nice way to start off your day. Alternatively there is another patio with tables that overlooks the pool/jacuzzi.

We liked the tropical setting of the place. Yes, it was on the water but no, it had no beach. Big deal. Being right on the water is a BIG plus in my book. Few hotels in KW are actually *on* the water.

There is no wireless internet in the room, although the breakfast room is a wireless hotspot and has a desktop computer for guests to use. No problem for me, as I left *my* computer home (we were supposed to be on vacation!). My riding buddy brought his, and got online in the room through his cellphone, which worked fine.

Whatever problems this hotel may have had in the past, they seem to be corrected as of August of 2010. We had a great time staying there, and when I go back to Key West, I'm going to stay there again. Can you do better in Key West than stay at the Banana Bay? Not for the money you can't. But you can do a LOT worse. (By the way, I'm not an employee or shill - contact me at BH206bB3@juno.com if you want to know more.)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed here last July without any issues, and we decided to stay here again from July 29--August 1. Our room was clean, the front desk (Molly) was awesome, and parking was plentiful. We also enjoyed walking around town near the resort at dusk. We could even walk to Pizza Hut :)

We like this resort because you must be 16 or older to stay here...makes for a nice stay :)
I was also pleased to see the rabbit (s?) was still there. I LOVE RABBITS! So sweet!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple