“Great step back in time”

U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Ingham Maritime Museum
Ranked #11 of 180 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: 327 Foot museum ship from WWII and Viet Nam. It is a National Historic Landmark. INGHAM served our country from 1936 to 1988 and in 1985 was the most decorated ship in United States Service as noted in a letter from President Ronald Reagan in the exhibit room. It is the last American Warship afloat to have sunk a German U-Boat (626) in WWII. It served as the Flagship for the seaside operation of General MacArthur's return to Corrigedor in the Philippines. She served from 1936 to 1988.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We toured this ship while in Key West on a cruise The ship was easy to find, being right across from where our ship docked. The self-guided tour was educational and well laid out. The ship appears ready to sail at any moment, just needs a crew. Speaking with the lady who took our admission, I was surprised to learn that the Coast Guard has no connection to the ship now, and a very small group of people are responsible for the upkeep and care of the ship. I highly recommend the tour to anyone who is interested in World War II history, as the ship played a big part in the war, both as an escort ship and in invasions. Go to see her, and help these dedicated volunteers preserve a valiant warrior from our past.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My daughter and I took this self-guided tour. Even though I'm not much of a plaque reader, but I found the tour very interesting. There was a very helpful retired Coast Guard officer who gave us some introductory information, and his voice was recognizable on many of the audio recordings throughout the tour. One caution - the stairs between decks are very steep. We found descending to be easier when facing the stairs, like one would do while descending a ladder. Very worthwhile.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We toured the ship and were amazed at the complexity of the systems below decks. Quite an engineering feat to make it all work. The tour leads you through the interior of the ship. You have to descend and then climb a number of ladders so if you have any problem with ladders, this probably is not the attraction for you. It was interesting seeing how the officers and enlisted men lived on the ship and also learning a bit about the ship's history. Gave us a better appreciation of life at sea aboard a fighting vessel. Well worth the $10.00 per person admission fee.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

If you have even the smallest bit of interest of what it must be like to serve aboard a large ship them it is worth the time to explore this museum. The entrance fee is $10 and you will walk out with a much greater appreciation of what it is like to live on a ship like this for an extended period.

I have toured other ship/museums but what makes this one unique is, as others have mentioned, the ship and its effects were left largely intact once it docked for the last time. That gives you an excellent idea of what life was like on an everyday basis. From duty schedules still posted to crockery and tools right where the ought to be, you can imagine yourself right aboard. I got a kick out of the Christmas menu posted in the eating hall. My only disappointment was not being able to get a better look at the steam engines.

The ship itself has quite a history, the ship was heavily decorated having served in several wars. There is a small museum with effects, photos and paintings along with interpretative placards. I spent nearly as much time in the museum as I did touring the ship. Everything is well done and well put together. I walked out of the ship impressed. The self guided tour took us about 1.5 hours to complete as we were very thorough. The experience is not full of frills, the attraction is the boat itself and that was more than enough for me.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

The ship saw action including in WW II and Vietnam. Its great and extensive history well preserved and explained. Entrance fee is very much worth it.