“Great ships tour”

U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Ingham Maritime Museum
Ranked #11 of 180 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: 327 Foot museum ship from WWII and Viet Nam. It is a National Historic Landmark. INGHAM served our country from 1936 to 1988 and in 1985 was the most decorated ship in United States Service as noted in a letter from President Ronald Reagan in the exhibit room. It is the last American Warship afloat to have sunk a German U-Boat (626) in WWII. It served as the Flagship for the seaside operation of General MacArthur's return to Corrigedor in the Philippines. She served from 1936 to 1988.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Very nice tour of a Coast Guard cutter which saw 52 years of active service, and is the most decorated naval vessel still afloat. it had a crew of 240 so it's not the typical small cutter you might have in mind. if you like militaria you will love this!

1  Thank geifried09

Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Ingham is very well kept by a very nice group of volunteers. The boat is a piece of history that you can walk through and see a snapshot of life for our service men in the 1940s. This should be a must-see for children when in Key West.

1  Thank Keith35094
Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you have 1 hour (you will want to stay more I am sure) to visit this old girl, she will almost make you cry. She is one of the most heroic naval (not Navy) vessles to ever hit the seas in war and in peace. You can pretty much see every part of the ship, and you will learn first hand her storied and historic history form some very experienced Coasties who are also the "volunteers" who are maintaining her, and running these tours to fund her dockage and refittment.

I promise you that if you were ever in the military, or even have any military pride inside of you, you will want to find the Ingram and learn all about her.

1  Thank Bob D
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I took the family to see this historic ship and they were quite pleased. I didn't think my teenage girls would enjoy it that much but they did. They have kept the boat intact from it's last assignment, including personal items left on desks by the last crew. You can have a good experience here in an hour and although the fee isn't cheap it's going to a good cause of preserving the history of this fine ship.

1  Thank caryon1
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This boat is impressive. I never knew that the US coast guard came before the navy. I did not realize that the US coast guard is involved in wars. I was told they are currently deployed to Afganistan.

This boat is highly decorated. It shot down a U- boat in WWII. This boat was decommissioned in 1988. It is furnished with 1970 furniture that reminded me of growing up. It is froze in time.

I spent so long touring the boat that they almost sent out a search party for me. I can not imagine being confined is these spaces with others. The engines were impressive. In different parts of touring boats there were audio segments that explained what you were seeing. I really like that.

The museum at the end of the tour was humbling. I was most struck by the paintings done by an artist that went along to document what appeared to me to be WWII. The terror on the faces of the men, the rough seas, the destruction blew me away more than the black and white photos that were excellent too.

When I visited early in morning I did not see anyone else as I explored the ship. It was wonderful to learn so much and have space to explore without the mounds of people at most attractions. I highly recommend this. It is also close to Eco Discovery center and the fort Zachery state park so easy to see 3 things in the same area.