“Best Lobster Roll south of Kennibunkport Maine”
Review of DJ's Clam Shack

DJ's Clam Shack
Ranked #16 of 449 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed November 19, 2012

35 years ago I had the perfect lobster roll on the coast of Maine. I just had one better. Lobster rolls are pretty simple. Take a toasted white bun, add some celery and mayo, then add some lobster. Yet time and again I have been disappointed. My wife and I were in Key West and for some reason walked across Duval Street to DJ's Clam Shack. We read the menu and both ordered the Lobster Roll. While we waited another customer talked us into a cup of clam chowder. It was heaven. Loaded with clam and onion and potatoes, seasoned perfectly in the New England creamy style. When the Lobster Rolls came they were stuffed with Lobster. At the first bite we tasted ambrosia. Truly the best Lobster Roll in at least 35 years. The guy next to us was from Poipu, Kauai, Hawaii where they make good fish tacos and he said his fish taco was excellent so perhaps everything is this good here. If you're in Key West walk up to 629 Duval Street and treat yourself to the Clam Chowder and the Lobster Roll. Prepare to be amazed.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I summer in Maine, and this is an amazing take on the real ME lobster roll. The lobster is fresh and the roll is the real thing. Even the sweet potato fries were spot on. You can eat on the porch and people watch Duval St or take out.

I highly recommend. Makes for a great take out to your fancy hotel room. Wine shop is just few blocks up. Cuddle up with the lobster roll and remote.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We ordered one sort of clams, got recommended another, tried various. For a quick meal on the run this is a fun place to snack. Stools overlooking Duval Street for ideal people watching and a really interesting New Yorker at the counter full of helpful tips and advice.

1  Thank escapeecam
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The lobster roll here is superb. The service was great. The clams were fresh and well prepared. Eat out back for a special atmosphere.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We ordered mozzerella sticks, a fried mahi-mahi sandwich, and chicken tacos. I didn't try the tacos, which my husband says were very good, but the mozz sticks (which only came as an entree, something i found strange) and the fish sandwich were both kind of meh. For one thing, they were cold (we ordered delivery, and it took 40 minutes for our food to arrive). The bread used for the sandwich was good, and the key lime mustard that came with the mozz sticks was fantastic. The fries were very thin and crunchy, which I didn't care for. We'll probably give this place another chance and actually dine in, but so far, not impressed.