“Good tour of the area with an informative guide”

Key Lime Bike Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Upon arriving at the bike shop, you'll be fitted with your bicycle and begin your approximately three-hour pedal through town. You will see the highlights of Key West, of which there are many. Pass Simonton Street Beach, the Green Parrot Bar, Key West Cemetery, Higgs Beach and the Southernmost Point of the United States, just 90 miles north of Cuba. Of particular note is the Customs House, which presides over historic Mallory Square. Dating to 1891, the faithfully restored, four-story architectural gem was originally home to the island's customs office, postal service and district courts. "Old 91" is today a national landmark and headquarters of the Key West Art & Historical Society. Another slice of local history unfolds as you approach the Presidential Gates of the Harry S. Truman Little White House. Built in 1890 as the first officer's quarters on the submarine base naval station, the abode served as Harry S. Truman's base of presidential operations during his 11 visits to Key West. Of course, Key West also is known as the home of Ernest Hemingway. During your bike ride, you will see the residence located at 907 Whitehead Street, across from the Key West lighthouse, where the famed writer lived from 1931 to 1939. One of Hemingway's legendary haunts was Sloppy Joe's Bar. Founded in 1933, the bar was located on Greene Street, just off Duval Street, during Hemingway's day. The bar has since moved to its current location on Duval Street, taking with it its storied connections to Hemingway, who suggested the name for the establishment. Other landmarks on today's roster include Dog Beach, Flagler Train Depot, Jimmy Buffet's first house, and Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, the Duval Street watering hole that embodies the laid-back lyrics of the beloved singer/songwriter. After returning to the bike shop you will finish with a slice of Key Lime pie, a refreshing must-taste here in Key West.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This was a well-run bike tour. Mainly, they could probably have canceled our scheduled tour since no cruise passengers booked it that day, but they went ahead with it even with such a small group.

Our guide, Sarah, was very knowledgeable about the area and obviously enjoys showing it to visitors. She also made a point of giving us some options so we could be sure to see certain things and skip what we weren't interested in.

We finished in the allotted time after going through both the busy downtown parts of the island as well as some of the quieter streets and parks and along the beaches. It was well worth our time to have done this on our first full day on the island!

Christopher E, Owner at Key Lime Bike Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Thanks Doug! I'm glad you enjoyed the tour. I try to get people to take the tour first thing when they get here so that way they know what they might want to go back to and explore in depth. Sarah loves this island and it's history and it shows in her tour. She also can give you some great tips on restaurants and happy hours!

Hope to see you in our little slice of paradise again! Thanks for taking the time write such a nice review!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

There are many choices for tours in Key West. This is the one you shouldn't miss. The Bike Ride itself is awesome, you get to see so many things. On top of that, the history and stories told in a way that is in no way boring, it is interesting the whole time. Try to take it when you first get to Key West, it will help you with the layout of the island, and you can plan your time much better.

Christopher E, Owner at Key Lime Bike Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thanks so much for the great review! I agree with you that it's best to take our tour the first thing when you arrive. That way you not only get the lay of the land, but can decide where you may want to revisit and explore in even more depth. Of course there's all of the recommendations that myself and my guides will give you for restaurants and happy hours!

Thanks again for taking the time to write!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We had both Kim and Chris take us on this tour. They were both friendly and very knowledgeable about Key West. The tour is a nice leisurely pace and takes in all the important parts of Key West. This is the BEST way to see all of Key West and we were so lucky to have Chris and Kim's expert knowledge of their home and their amazing humour. We cant wait to come back to Key West and take the tour again. Thank you again guys from England.

Christopher E, Owner at Key Lime Bike Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thanks so much for the great review! Every now and then I'll ride along with my guides to see how their tour has evolved, as we all keep picking up tidbits about Key West every now and then and incorporate those into our individual stories. Kim's tour is great in and of itself, but it's nice to get the added bonus of the guide and the owner on the same tour!

I hope you do make it back to Key West and take our tour again, but even if you don't take the tour please look us up for a drink at happy hour! We both enjoyed taking you around Key West and hope to see you again!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We had Chris/the owner of the company lead us around the island. Very informative and so much fun. He is a great guy and fun to see the island with. I would say this is must on your first day on Key West. He was also very good with all kinds of things to do reccomendations!

Christopher E, Owner at Key Lime Bike Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

I'm glad you enjoyed the tour! As you can tell I love living here and it's great that I get to ride around this island every day! I'm glad you liked my recommendations. I spend hours and hours at happy hours around town just so I can keep my guests informed! Maybe I should be writing off the receipts?
Thanks for taking the time to review us, and come back to Key West soon!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

What a great day!! We shared our tour with a lovely couple from England and were lucky enough to have Kim as our tour guide. Her love of Key West was evident as she shared her knowledge of the history, architecture, colorful plant life, folklore and "flavor" of the island. Joining us was owner, Chris (self-proclaimed "old guy with the ponytail")...sharing his love and knowledge of the island as well as he filling us in on great Happy Hours and restaurants that we sampled during the week.The tour was leisurely paced with time for questions, photos and a delicious stop at Kermit's Key Lime Shoppe for tasty treats.
Welcome Home Hippie Chick - see you next year!!

1  Thank 12trish_t
Christopher E, Owner at Key Lime Bike Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thanks for the great review! I always have fun on tours but that day was especially fun because I could make jokes at Kim's expense! I'm happy you took some of my suggestions for happy hours and the like, I'm just surprised that I didn't run into you at one of them!

Can't wait to see you both back in Key West in week 42 of 2014!