“Fun with Steph on bike tour” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Key Lime Bike Tours

Key Lime Bike Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Upon arriving at the bike shop, you'll be fitted with your bicycle and begin your approximately three-hour pedal through town. You will see the highlights of Key West, of which there are many. Pass Simonton Street Beach, the Green Parrot Bar, Key West Cemetery, Higgs Beach and the Southernmost Point of the United States, just 90 miles north of Cuba. Of particular note is the Customs House, which presides over historic Mallory Square. Dating to 1891, the faithfully restored, four-story architectural gem was originally home to the island's customs office, postal service and district courts. "Old 91" is today a national landmark and headquarters of the Key West Art & Historical Society. Another slice of local history unfolds as you approach the Presidential Gates of the Harry S. Truman Little White House. Built in 1890 as the first officer's quarters on the submarine base naval station, the abode served as Harry S. Truman's base of presidential operations during his 11 visits to Key West. Of course, Key West also is known as the home of Ernest Hemingway. During your bike ride, you will see the residence located at 907 Whitehead Street, across from the Key West lighthouse, where the famed writer lived from 1931 to 1939. One of Hemingway's legendary haunts was Sloppy Joe's Bar. Founded in 1933, the bar was located on Greene Street, just off Duval Street, during Hemingway's day. The bar has since moved to its current location on Duval Street, taking with it its storied connections to Hemingway, who suggested the name for the establishment. Other landmarks on today's roster include Dog Beach, Flagler Train Depot, Jimmy Buffet's first house, and Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, the Duval Street watering hole that embodies the laid-back lyrics of the beloved singer/songwriter. After returning to the bike shop you will finish with a slice of Key Lime pie, a refreshing must-taste here in Key West.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Carteret, New Jersey
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Fun with Steph on bike tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

He was a very nice and informative guy about Key West. It rained, but did not at all dampen our fun. Steph was a great fun guide. WE LOVED EVERY MINUTE!, thank you, from Cathy,Donald,Sarah.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank benko
Christopher E, Owner at Key Lime Bike Tours, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thanks for the great review! Nothing we can do about the rain, but I'm glad that it didn't dampen your enthusiasm. Steph takes a lot of pride in his tours, and I'll make sure he sees this review. Please come back to Key West soon!

Sonoma, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great way to see and learn about Key West”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had a really fun time with Chris on an early Sunday morning tour of Key West. He is well informed and very dilligent about getting his facts right and the tour is very thorough. It was only suppposed to last 2 1/2 hours but Chris gets so involved he could go on forever. The ending was sweet with free frozen key lime pie on a stick for everyone. I highly recommend it!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Francesca95476
Christopher E, Owner at Key Lime Bike Tours, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thanks for the great review! You're right, I can go on for hours about Key West, and sometimes do. I'm glad you enjoyed our tour, and hope you come back to Key West soon!
Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Very informative and enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been on many walking/bike tours and this is one of the best. Christopher was very well versed on Key West and answered all of our questions. I appreciated his humor and laid back style, but I guess that's what you would expect in Key West. Christopher covered a wide range of topics, but he picked up on our interest in architecture and provided some extra information on that topic. I really think he could/would provide a customized tour if the group could come to a consensus on what they wanted to hear/see.

1 Thank anaveragejoe
So glad you enjoyed our tour! I'm happy to talk about the architecture of Key West as that was what made me fall in love with this island in the first place. Thanks for taking the time to give us such a great review!
Detroit, Michigan
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“good, but could be better....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

So we (wife and I) were cruising with RCL and stopped in Key West...having been here on foot many times we decided to book the bike tour thru the cruise. Very easy to find the guys waiting as we exited the gangway. We had a short walk to the warehouse which was fine, our guide gave some nice historical commentary on the walk over. When we arrived, the bikes were not "ready"....I think it would have been nice had they all been out with helmets and someone had been there to help the guest make necessary adjustments quickly. The group off the ship was quite large, so it felt like we wasted some time just getting ready to go that could easily had been cut in half.

Anyway, the group was split in three I think....ours being the last to leave, which in itself seemed fine. But there were 15 bikers in our group, and the other two only had 5. This proved to be a real bummer because at each "stop" it took much longer to accomplish the information and objective (bathroom breaks, photo ops, snack stop)...and often you couldn't hear the guide because he was always up front...and we often rode single file....lots of pandering to all the different issues of people. At our very first stop we noticed the other group from our cruise ship with only 5 in them. The smaller group would have been much more intimate.

Now, all that being said, the tour was still a great way to see MORE of Key West than we had on our prior 3 one day visits. It was very good and informative, our guide was good....I will say for about 1/2 the tour it felt like it was really an "ode to Hemingway"...which was a little overkill. I would say they should offer a special tour focused on just Hemingway for those who want it...not sure if that was just our guide, or if that's the flavor of this tour. But the other stops were great, informative, fun, neat to see and learn about the history....and it was an easy ride.

The back brakes were tough to get used to as I hadn't had that on my bike since I was 12...but, the bikes were very comfortable and easy to ride. The brakes and the size of our group caused a couple mishaps with some minor collisions, but no one was hurt real bad..... Our guide also gave us some good tips on where to get inexpensive t-shirts and other knick knacks, which was helpful.

So all in all, I would say it was a fair value. I would suggest that if you book, you request a group no larger than maybe 6. In talking with the others, it seemed that made a lot of difference. I would do this tour again, with that being the only change......

Visited March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and your critiques are duly noted. We do try to make all of the tours an even number of people, but sometimes things happen that makes the groups unequal size. I will be more diligent in keeping the groups an even amount. As far as the tour being all about Hemingway, each guide tells the story of Key West in their own way. One of our guides is more into the animals and plants, another more of the famous people who've lived here, another is into the music scene, and I'm all about the timeline of the history of the island. Ultimately you said you would recommend the tour, and for that I thank you!
West Des Moines, Iowa
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Activity, Great Guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

First trip to Key West and wanted to see the area, we find bike trips are a great way to do this. Our guide was Steph and he was great. He took us to all of the places we were hoping and then some. He also gave us options on what to see in the amount of time we had available. He is a great story teller. Key West is an easy place to ride bikes as it is very flat. Overall a great experience.

1 Thank 412stevew
Thanks for the great review! Steph is a natural storyteller, and he tries to tailor his trips to do some different things and things that might be appealing to each particular group, so thanks for noticing and mentioning that. Come back and see us in Key West again!