“Amazing Food and Service.”
Review of Lola's Bistro

Lola's Bistro
Ranked #136 of 393 Restaurants in Key West
Description: A new Italian eclectic BYOB restaurant with a bohemian vibe.
Description: A new Italian eclectic BYOB restaurant with a bohemian vibe.
Reviewed February 3, 2020

Being that we always stay at the Gardens, we were very excited that a new restaurant had opened up in place of the old Deuce's Off the Hook restaurant. I read a lot of great reviews and wanted to try it. I called about a week or so before and was able to get a reservation. I knew it was a BYOB so we made sure we had a bottle of wine with us to bring. Once we walked in we noticed how different it was. The walls were lit with candles and the old bar area was now the chef's station. It was great to watch him prepare the meals as the orders came in. It was like watching a live show on the Food Network. The server presented us with 4 appetizer options and 4 entrees - no menus. I went with the scallops which were amazing and my husband had the gnocchi which were full of flavor. For our main course, I had the sea bass which was fresh and a very generous portion. My husband had the rib eye which was also amazing. We were too full for dessert but I am sure they were delicious. If you have an opportunity to dine here, definitely make a reservation.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (123)

Reviewed February 2, 2020

This is not just a restaurant it is an experience! An experience that integrates dining with the chef's process and his wife's generous and warm presence. My husband and I enjoy the local vibe of Key West and the locals agree this place is the bomb.

Study up before you head over..bring some cash and some good bottles of wine to accompany your meal..then sit back relax and take it all in. Just trust me you can't go wrong in what you order. To begin with I had the artichokes sauteed in delicate lemon/butter sauce and my husband the fennel sausage with a tomato sauce; both excellent. For our entrees I had the Chilean Sea Bass and it was like eating a delicious cloud of fish...light and airy...my husband enjoyed the swordfish topped with shrimp. Desserts were...awesome.
Let me just share I grew up working in my family restaurant..so I know how difficult the restaurant business is.. To continue to put out consistently good product is extremely difficult. NOW do this in front of people nightly and it must be like walking a tightrope. I would imagine a real adrenal high for the chef...but you can tell it is a labor of love. I wish Lola's all the best and I appreciate their willingness to set a high bar for the restaurant scene in Key West. Cheers!

Date of visit: January 2020
melaniepG8454DB, General Manager at Lola's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2020

Thank you for the wonderful review! Cheers!

Reviewed January 31, 2020

Call several days ahead for reservations; this new restaurant is small, popular and is fantastic. The Chef works within plain view of the diners. BYOB, water is the only beverage served. The five of us were simply wowed by the phenomenal food. Lamb chops, ravioli, fish, artichoke appetizer, scallops, etc. Everything was superior. Menu changes daily. Cash only, and figure about 40$ for entree, 20$ for appetizer, $10 for dessert. More than we usually like to pay, but well worth it!!!

1  Thank lossow
Reviewed January 30, 2020

Make your reservations now, before you go to Key West. Lola's seats about 36 +/- They don't take plastic so bring cash or a check. BYOB, also. And there is no menu--you'll have a choice of three or four apps and the same number of entrees. The chef creates based on what looks like the best selections that day or the previous one. And creation is the key word--be prepared for unique presentations and taste combinations. The sauteed artichoke hearts came in threes, shaped like chicken drumsticks. I would have been happy with that as my meal. Then came the entree: mine was the veal medallions served on broccoli rabe raviolis. Best I've ever had. Companion's was similarly out of this world. Be forewarned: food this good comes at a price. But it's a treat well worth it.

Reviewed January 28, 2020

We kind of "fell into" learning about Lola's when we arrived in Key West. They don't have a reservation system or even a website - you call/text them and they let you know if they have any tables available. We ended up telling them the nights we were in town, and were lucky enough to score a reservation one of those nights. The place is small. Like really small - maybe about a dozen tables and they go right up to the entry door so if you're early, you'll be waiting outside on the sidewalk. It's also BYOB in the extreme sense - you'll get tap water only - anything else (sparkling water, sodas, wine, beer, etc. you need to bring yourself). Finally, it's cash-only, so be sure to hit the ATM before you go (plan $50-$60 per person on average and you'll be good. Menu's are not pre-published, but we were told that there's typically a meat, a seafood and maybe a pasta or risotto and found that to be true. Our server gave us the menu verbally. The food is prepared in a completely open kitchen in a corner of the room. Preparations are simple, which we love. Unpretentious food created at a high level of execution with a few quality ingredients. Yes, please! Desserts are homemade and tasty. This isn't FINE dining. It's come-as-you-are, well-prepared food, casual and unfussy servers and you'll leave satisfied and glad you came.