“Incredible experience and customer service at Silver Palms”
Review of Silver Palms Inn

Silver Palms Inn
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I live in central Florida and travel to the Keys several times throughout the year. We first stayed at Silver Palms Inn back in March for my husband's birthday and had a fabulous experience then. The difference this time is we booked the hotel on Wednesday afternoon last minute for the 4th of July long weekend. The hotel was sold out for Friday night but open for Thursday and Saturday. So we took a risk and booked the two nights and said we would just figure out Friday night's hotel once we arrived. I called and received the 10% discount by booking directly and only took a minute since we were returning customers (all of my contact info was still in their system). The staff member, Kelvin was so friendly and put me on a waiting list just in case something opened Friday. Parking is free at the hotel but we had a trailer and jetski that we pulled down. We checked in and found out there is a grassy lot gated in next to the parking garage off of Margaret st where we were able to park our truck and trailer...again for free. This place just keeps getting better and better! Friday morning I called the front desk and staff member Peter said they had a room that opened and they were just waiting for my phone call because I was number one on the waiting list. We had to move rooms so he said just pack up your stuff, go jet skiing and when we get back all of our belongings will be in the new room! Sure enough we get back later in the afternoon, I picked up the new keys from Kelvin and walked right into our new room. Never have we had such an amazing experience with a hotel anywhere. This place is modern, clean and conveniently located three blocks from Duval. The breakfast is complimentary every morning and the pool area is trendily like a South Beach resort. We will absolutely come back to Silver Palms and highly recommend to anyone traveling to Key West! Thanks for such a fabulous experience and see you soon! -Kathleen O.

• Stayed: July 2013
Jennifer S, General Manager at Silver Palms Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Katodowd0304:

Thank you for the incredible review! We're so happy you came back to visit us again for the holiday weekend. Kelvin and Peter were more than happy to be able to assist you with extending your stay. We truly appreciate our guests at the Silver Palms Inn. We also appreciate your future recommendations. Make sure you come back and visit us soon and don't forget the jet skis!

There are newer reviews for Silver Palms Inn

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My family and I rented out a good portion of the hotel for my sisters wedding. We received a nice discount for booking so many rooms. I however later learned that comes with a bit of a price. Lets start with the good though. The hotel was extremely clean and located near the quiet, in my opinion nice part of Duvall. I'm not much of a bar goer anymore so I like the wine bars and such more so than sloppy joes. However waking down towards the end of Duvall is a lot of fun and I recommend it. The water is so beautiful. Anyways, the hotel was very nice. The rooms were a decent size and everyone has their own little balcony which I thought was kinda cool. The pool was kinda small but very well maintained. The waterfall is sold as relaxing yet its actually kinda loud and is hard to talk over when hanging out in the pool. The beach chairs are fantastic. Super comfy and there are great umbrellas to lay under once you've had enough sun. They have bikes your can rent and you can park your car out of the sun too which is great. Parking and wi-fi are free which are great perks if you ask me. There is also a fridge in the room if you wanna bring some stuff back to the room. There is a CVS close and several liquor stores. Now for the treatment. When I checked in with my dad all is well. Same for my grandma, my aunt, my uncle and my aunt, and several close family friends. My dad and I drove down. My boyfriend was flying down on Wednesday. Let me state for the record as well that I am 30 years old and I pay my own way for everything. My parents are great people but I do not take their money. From the moment my boyfriend arrived we were given the run around about our room. We watched other people check in early and get rooms with no issue. People in my sisters wedding party were also given the run around. Funny that they are around my age too. All of us were forced to change rooms several times. So much so that on over a weeks vacation I was never able to actually unpack. I had to live out of my suitcase. I had my boyfriend even go and try to figure this out since he has a few years on me but he was given some excuse that the cheap rate forced us to get moved around. Yet no one else in my whole family were forced to move. Despite all the pluses it really drives me crazy to get pushed around simply because I'm younger. Paying $1,100 for my rooms I think warrants me some better respect than that. It is a shame because other than that I would totally stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't use a group rate
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer S, General Manager at Silver Palms Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Maura S:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us. We are pleased that your sister chose the Silver Palms Inn for everyone's accommodations for her special day. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the time spent here in Key West however, I did want to clarify the issue that you had with having to move rooms during your stay. We know that you had arrived early and upon checking in, the room was not ready. Please understand that we try our very best to accommodate guests by checking them in before 3pm, which is normal check-in. It is unfortunate that sometimes things arise where we can't always do so. This was one of those instances for your reservation. We did apologize and in order to accommodate you, we did get you into an upgraded room at no additional charge right away. We knew it was important to get you into a room quickly because you had to get to the rehearsal dinner for your sister's wedding and we wanted to help any way that we could. Upon switching you to this room, we fully explained that the room that we switched you to was only available for the one night and that we would assist you in switching rooms the next day. Both you and your boyfriend were fine with this so it is disappointing to hear that it upset you. We only wish that you had come down to talk with us. When I personally spoke with your boyfriend the next morning he was very nice and understanding of the situation. Please know that your age was not a factor in your room being moved. We would never treat anyone differently due to their age or for any other reason for that matter. We really hope that this hasn't left a sour taste in your mouth about the Silver Palms Inn and that maybe one day in the future you'll give us another chance.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed at the Silver Palms Inn f6/27-6/30/13. The whole experience was WONDERFUL, from booking right up unitl Check out. The rooms are clean, spacious and very nicely decorated. The beds are probably one of the most comfortable hotel beds I ever slept in. The continental breakfast that they place out every morning has a huge selection, cereal, oatmeal, granola, yogurt, hb eggs, cheese, bagels, pastries. The staff, it was like being in Disney World, everybody had a smile and a pleasant attitude. The pool area is also very nice. I seen people complaining about the size of the pool.....the pool maybe smaller....but so is the hotel. The location is perfectm, close enough to walk to just about everything and they have FREE PARKING. Now that I have Keys DIsease, I will be taking advantage of their returning guest discount each year!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kathy B
Jennifer S, General Manager at Silver Palms Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Kathy B:

We are so happy to hear that we helped to make your Key West experience wonderful! You've made the staff's heads so puffed up by comparing them to the staff at Disney! That is truly a great compliment and we all appreciate it. When guests go out of their way to recognize our hard work, it really means a lot to us. Although we always are looking for a cure, let's hope that there is never one for your 'Keys Disease" because we'd love to see you back here...SOON!!!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights. We wanted something clean and reliable and maybe a little newer without paying the major brand name prices. We found the right place. The Silver Palms is on Truman (US-1) just a couple blocks from the quieter end of Duval Street. The hotel staff is a friendly as they get. They honored requests, made suggestions and we couldn’t ask for more in the Keys. The rooms seem new and very clean. They are decorated in Key West colors and furnishings right down to the plantation blinds (that don’t exactly black out the room for your late morning sleepers). The photos on the hotel web page are accurate. You should know the hotel and grounds are very straight forward. There is a massive courtyard for parking and where the pool area is located. There is no restaurant and no bar but your steps away from all that anyway. Nothing fancy but we didn’t go to hang out at the hotel. They do charge a $15 a night “service fee” that we can never seem to avoid in the Keys. I noted earlier that the hotel is within walking distance from the “quiet” end of Duval. This means that the sunset, Sloppy Joes, Mallory Square type places are a bit of a walk – a little over a mile. But if you like wandering the shops and are in no hurry, the walk isn’t bad. The other option is a cab. Just about every cab in KW charges $3 per passenger to go anywhere. Overall we liked this location a lot and we will return provided the rates stay competitive. We stayed in a Bed and Breakfast when we left this place and actually wished we had stayed at the Silver Palms the additional night. If you stay, make sure to check out the Green Parrott for an off the path great KW bar and we ate at “Better than Sex” dessert restaurant a block away. Check out my review for that one!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GatorTraveler2011

Dear GatorTraveler2011:

Thank you for choosing the Silver Palms Inn for your accommodations for you and your wife's trip to Key West! We are pleased to hear that you found so many aspects of your stay to your liking. We truly appreciate such passionate travelers staying with us. We noticed your comment about staying with us again providing our rates stay competitive. We promise that our rates will always be competitive with other lodging establishments in the Old Town area. For added value, please don't forget to mention our returning guest promotion when making your future reservations. It's our way of saying 'thank you' to our repeat guests. Hurry back and visit us soon! Paradise is waiting!

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We choose this hotel based on advertised price and amenities. I did not disappoint! The room was VERY clean and VERY well decorated. The room was large and had everything we needed comfortable stay. The pool are was nice and the hotel staff we very polite and responsive.

If you are traveling to Key West to be close to Devaul Street action this is not the place to stay. However, if you are like us....wanting to be a little distant from that kind of action but close enough for a short scooter ride to that area, stay at Silver Palms.

Two moped rental places close. One will pick you up for the rental. A few good restaurants are close enough to walk to (Cuban and seafood). We will stay here again! Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear blacklister1:

It's wonderful to hear that your thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at the Silver Palms Inn! The excellent review and your future recommendations are much appreciated. Many guests like yourselves like our location because we are within walking distance of everything but far enough away from the hustle and bustle. We'll be looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great hotel in a perfectly quiet location but only a few blocks walk to all of the hustle and bustle of sightseeing and restaurants. It looks to be newly renovated and everything was clean and spacious enough for a family of 4. Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear YaleJ:

Thank you for the excellent review! We are delighted that our new rooms were comfortable for you and your family. We took much consideration into the design and the size of the rooms when coming up with the plans for the hotel. We hope you come back and stay with us again the next time you visit Key West!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here for three nights on our fourth visit to Key West.We have stayed other places before but this was the best we had found. The location is only three blocks to Duval Street and 5-6 short blocks to the beaches.There was ample covered and non covered parking.We had a nice ride from Miami to Key west but long. We were greeted by the most friendliest front desk staff upon entering.The check in was quick and they gave us complimentry cold water bottles. We were guided about the location of our room and how to use the key card system.
The rooms have contemporary tropical theme and testfully furnished with the microwave, safe deposit box and refrigerator.The rooms are extraordinary clean. the breakfast was added bonus with the pastry from local bakery. The swimming pool area had plenty nice lounge chairs.
We will not stay any other place except the Silver Palms Inn during our visit to Key West.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Bhikhupatel:

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your three night stay in one of our tropical rooms! Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor. We make it a priority that all of our guests are treated kindly and that we accommodate them as best as we can. We appreciate you noticing our hard work. It means a lot to us. We hope to see you again in the near future at your new home away from home!