For what you pay, I think this is as good as it gets in Key West. Comfortable, spacious room (just as big or bigger than our friend's room at the Waldorf), clean facilities, free parking and breakfast, and #1 selling point--you are perfectly located halfway between beach and Duval St buzz. Keep in mind it's not supposed to be the Ritz, and you'll be happy :)
My boyfriend and I decided to go here last-minute trip for a friend's wedding. We didn't want to spend too much on the hotel because we knew we wouldn't be in the room hardly at all. This was my boyfriend's first trip to Key West so I wanted him to have easy, WALKABLE access to the activity of Duval St and also to our friends' hotel on the beach at the Waldorf Reach resort. This was halfway between the two--maybe a bit closer to Duval buzz. So, this was absolutely perfect for our purposes.
1. Location. SInce it was my boyfriend's first time to Key West and I knew he'd love the mix of party and relaxation, I wanted him to easily experience it ALL in the short amount of time we had...and I did it! This hotel was within walking distance to both Duval Street activity and the beach. Specifically, for us it was perfect because our friends were staying at the Waldorf Reach resort, so we were able to hang out with them there on the resort beach which was great. Otherwise, the "walk" to Smathers Beach would have been a bit longer, but do-able.
2. Price. Key West accommodations can be moderately expensive, especially the closer you are to Duval St area. Some "nicer" places are a bit old and show it. Our basic "king city view balcony" room at Silver Palms was clean, spacious, and well-kept. You can get a hotel just as cheap or cheaper further away from Duval but I've done that and you end up paying the difference cab fare or parking anyway BUT you aren't in the middle of it all. No thanks. Plus there's free simple breakfast here, so that's money saved too.
Leaves Much to be Desired:
1. Neighborhood. Eek. During the day, a tad sketchy but seemed safe and walkable from Duvall St area. After dusk--no thanka. I was with a big, strong boyfriend so felt safe. But we literally walked past either a drug deal or a prostitution planning session, lol. So there is crime and where there is crime statistically you don't want to walk amongst it. Don't walk it alone, especially if you are a female. I wouldn't.
Mitigation: On slightly-sketchy neighborhood, no big deal, at night just take a cab or as I would suggest--a pedi cab! We had a super cool pedi-cab driver, er...peddler...from Serbia. Said he lives part of the year in Key West and part in his home, Serbia. Cost about $10-15 from Duvall St to our hotel w/tip.
2. Pool. If I'm at a beach location, I prefer a pool by the beach. This pool is in the middle of the parking lot. The pool itself is ok, but we didn't use it.
Mitigation: We hung out at our friends' hotel pool at the Waldorf. You can also just go to the beach--it's within walking distance.
3. Coffee. Sucked. Period.
Mitigation: Bring your own--there is a regular coffee maker in your room so you can just make your own. OR go to the coffee shop just a block away on your walk to Duvall St--I didn't try it, so not sure how it is. OR grab something at Starbucks on Duval--walkable distance.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Silver Palms Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silver Palms Hotel Key West