“AWESOME!”

Key West Seaplane Adventures
Ranked #10 of 299 Outdoor Activities in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: As the only air-service, we are by far the most exciting and convenient way to reach the Dry Tortugas, one of North America's most inaccessible National Parks. The Park lies in the blue-green waters of the Gulf of Mexico, 70 miles due west of Key West, FL. Low altitude sightseeing flight, great snorkeling, pristine beaches, tour Fort Jefferson & bird watching. Morning, Afternoon & full day tours.
New York
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“AWESOME!”
Reviewed February 25, 2011

When I booked this, I gagged a bit on how much it was going to cost....but trust me, it was worth every penny!!!! How many of you out there can say you've been on a seaplane? My kids will remember this for a lifetime. Sharks, shipwrecks, sea turtles, and Fort Jefferson.....check it out! You will not regret it.

Visited February 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cleveland, Ohio
“Adventure you won't want to do just once!”
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Trip starts from the moment you lift of the ground. Lou plays music and then gives a wonderful tour as you fly over the beautiful water. As you look down you can see shipwrecks, turtles, sharks and much more. Then arriving at the Fort you get another outstanding tour of the history of the Fort. After the tour everyone gets a chance to walk around or go snorkeling. I chose to snorkel and it was amazing. I can only suggest that you take the seaplane adventure from key west like I did. It is something you will remember for a life time and go home telling all your friends about. Thanks Key West Seaplane Adventures for the best time ever. I plan on coming back again, I have more friends that I want to see the Fort.

Visited January 2011
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Memorable way to see the dry tourtogas”
Reviewed January 6, 2011

This seaplane ride was so much fun. It was one of the most memorable parts of our trip. If you want to go to the Dry Tourtogas and want to do something different, this is for you.

We took the 10am flight to the national park. The flight over was nice. Lou, the pilot, pointed out all of the sites along the way. The views were great. If you are offered the option and no one else wants it, be sure to take the co-pilot’s seat, you will have the best unobstructed views.

Once we got to the island, Lou gave us a brief tour of the fort, which was a nice bonus you won’t get if you take the shuttle over. The fort itself was pretty simple, in line with other national parks.

After the tour, we went snorkeling for an hour or so. The snorkeling gear was included as part of the flight. The water was pretty cold considering it was January, so we only snorkeled for a little while. The snorkeling was good, but not great – perhaps we were in the wrong location, however.

The tour company also included drinks and a cooler. It would have been a better value if they offer a meal or a snack, but they didn’t. Be sure to pack something for yourself.

Also, as I recall, the seaplane ride was only slightly more expensive (~$50-$100) than the ferry, and it was worth the extra money to have a fun, different experience.
Overall, it was a fun experience (I had never been on a seaplane before) and the sites and views on the way out and back were great.

Visited January 2011
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Epic - Do Not Miss”
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Take the 8 am flight, get to the fort early in the day and enjoy the quiet. The flight over is 30 min vs a 2 hour choppy, crowded boat ride. The pilot, Evan, is wonderful. Personable, not pushy, friendly and easy going. He points out all the sights on the flight over and and generally will just give interesting and current infromation about the area without rambling on and on. This is worth every penny and was the highlight of our trip.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“YOU MUST DO THIS!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Met up with Evan (our Pilot) at the KW Airport for the first flight out. They give you snorkle gear along with free soda and water with your own cooler to put it in. I brought some beers and they iced them down for me as well. We took off and got a great view of KW!! You wear a headset so you can hear Evan point out the shipwrecks, islands, and wildlife along the way. You also get to listen to some tunes when he's not talking. The view is breathtaking, unlike anything most of us ever get to see. The ride was as smooth as smooth could be. We landed at the fort and Evan gave us a free tour of the Fort and then turned us loose to go to the beach or to sightsee some more. We happened to be lucky enough to witness 7 cuban refugees make landfall just before we got there. Evan was also happy to show us their "raft" and explain to us the procedures that the rangers would take with them. We hit the beach with the beautiful white sand and blue waters for awhile. You can also see Loggerhead Key and the lighthouse off in the distance. Then he loaded all of our gear and took us back the same way we came in. If you sit on the same side of the plane as you did going out, you get to see some things you might have missed. Every seat is a window seat, and if you get lucky as I did, you can sit up front with Evan. I can not say enough about this trip. We have always said we would do it, but never did. Spend the money and do it! When you get back, you'll say that it was worth every penny! This will be the first thing I do when we return next year.