“The highlight of our trip to the Keys!”

Key West Seaplane Adventures
Ranked #10 of 304 Outdoor Activities in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: As the only air-service, we are by far the most exciting and convenient way to reach the Dry Tortugas, one of North America's most inaccessible National Parks. The Park lies in the blue-green waters of the Gulf of Mexico, 70 miles due west of Key West, FL. Low altitude sightseeing flight, great snorkeling, pristine beaches, tour Fort Jefferson & bird watching. Morning, Afternoon & full day tours.
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We booked our trip at the last minute and were really thrilled that we were able to fit this in. It ended up being the highlight of our entire week in the Keys! The flight was beautiful. The pilot was very friendly, and even took us on a private tour of Ft. Jefferson when we got to the Dry Tortugas (we were the only ones in the group that didn't want to snorkel, and mostly wanted to see the fort). We also spent time just hanging around the beach and enjoying the amazing view and crystan clear waters. I got so many fantastic pictures that I made them my backdrop on my laptop, computer, and iphone! The flight was 250.00 each, but very worth it. They give you a cooler of drinks (we requested water and diet Dr. Pepper) and we could have gotten snorkel gear if we wanted it. If you can spend the money it is really worth it!

Reviewed September 13, 2010

We took the Sea Plane to the Dry Tortugas and it was amazing! The color of the water, sea turtles, ship wrecks, snorkeling and adventure were life changing. I've lived in Florida for 8 years now and I wanted a new experience. This was the most amazing thing I've done since I've lived here. If you love the ocean you MUST take this trip!

1  Thank luv2travel070801
Reviewed August 27, 2010

After carefully considering the catamarans to the Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson, I decided to take the seaplane. With a limited amount of time to see and do a lot; it made sense. It was quicker; a 30 minute flight with early am arrival on the island. A little more expensive, but definitely worth it. What a beautiful way to see the keys and the beautiful water. The crew was pleasant and professional but very relaxed. Great personal attention by Peter who checked to make sure I knew how to get there and to make sure I was coming. All passengers were given decent snorkeling gear and coolers with a choice of several bottles of water, juice or soft drinks. My pilot /guide, Evan was very knowledgeable and pointed out ship wrecks, sea life and particular islands during the short flight over. The tour of Fort Jefferson would be of particular interest to Civil War history buffs. Snorkeling around the old wooden pilings was fantastic. Extensive coral formations were present on each piling... purple fan coral, white "brain" coral and more. I saw needlefish, blue tangs, parrotfish, and even a jellyfish. 5-6 ft long silvery tarpon slipped past and tunnels of tiny silver fish encircled me as I floated in the pristine turquoise water. It was relaxation heaven.
My fellow passengers and I experienced our own private island for a couple hours before the larger cats filled with passengers began to arrive. I boarded the de Havilland Otter at 8 am, enjoyed the tour and snorkeling at a relaxed pace and returned at 1 pm with a whole day ahead of me! What a lovely way to see this seldom seen island.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

A visit to KW, just isn't complete with out taking the seaplane out to Fort Jefferson! The entire experince was amazing. My wife and I took the 8 am flight and boarded the plane along with 7 other passengers-everyone gets a window seat! You take off from the KW airport, make a senic circle over KW and start head out over the the crystal clear blueish green waters. Each passenger gets a head set, and music and pilot narrarated comments are piped over so that youu can enjoy the very short (ours was about 30 mins) flight. Along the way you see a couple of ship wrecks, various secluded islands, sea life ( I saw flying fish and a turtle) all while flying fairly low to the water. The water landing was very smooth. After a brief guided tour of the fort we headed off to snorkel around the outside of the fort. The water was crystal clear, and a variety of sea life could be spotted easily.
My only complaint, is that I wish we had more time on and around the island. The 2 1/2 hours we were there flew by!
Snorkel gear, sodas and water in a cooler are provided.
This trip, the flight, the tour, the snorkeling, should be rated much higher than it is. It was the highlight of our trip-period.

1  Thank chrmer30
Reviewed July 11, 2010

My husband and I visited Key West for a late honeymoon. We decided to take the seaplane to the Dry Tortugas Island instead of the long ferry ride. Boy are we glad we made that decision. It was amazing. The pilot flew low so that we got a good view of the beautiful water. He pointed out the shipwrecks, sharks, and stingrays. We enjoyed the plane ride almost more than the actual island!