“Highlight of my Key West trip”

Key West Seaplane Adventures
Ranked #10 of 304 Outdoor Activities in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: As the only air-service, we are by far the most exciting and convenient way to reach the Dry Tortugas, one of North America's most inaccessible National Parks. The Park lies in the blue-green waters of the Gulf of Mexico, 70 miles due west of Key West, FL. Low altitude sightseeing flight, great snorkeling, pristine beaches, tour Fort Jefferson & bird watching. Morning, Afternoon & full day tours.
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Enjoyed the trip very much. The pilot was so helpful and informative, and the scenery was breathtaking. The island is beautiful, and the whole experience was outstanding. The flight was smooth and comfortable. Can't say enough about the staff. You will certainly enjoy this! The first flight of the morning is fantastic, since there is no one else on the island until the ferry arrives much later.

1  Thank oldbroadJasper

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just got back from a trip to the Keys and this was the highlight!
The staff were really helpful - even showing us nightlife places to check out after the trip. The flight itself was about the right length, not too long and not too short. It was a great feeling taking off and landing on water. The snorkeling wasnt quite as good as I had expected it to be, but still, we saw a couple of parrot fish and spiney urchins. Would certainly do this experience again on a trip to Key West.

Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

A short plane ride takes only ten out to the dry tortugas. There is a beautiful fort that was used as a prison during the civil war surrounded by crystal blue water. The water changes from beautiful emerald green to a deep blue to a crystal blue and then to white. You are secluded on this beautiful island covered with coral sand and absolutely gorgeous views. The absolute best snorkeling in the world. This is a must.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had an amazing time on this trip. We are glad we splurged and took the plane vs the boat. Our pilot was super nice, and it was so neat to ride in that sea plane. I get motion sickness and I was perfectly fine. The flight was beautiful in and out, from the views of Key West to the Dry Tortugas themselves.
We found the fort to be very interesting to tour and we even snorkeled for a bit. Although we didn't have much luck seeing too many fish, I don't think we went our far enough, that part was just average.
All in all it was a great time, I would DEF recommend it. Plus, we didn't get motion sickness from the boat ride!

2  Thank storm96441
Reviewed September 4, 2012

You can either take the ferry or the plane. I am so glad we took the plane. It was amazing from start to finish. Here is a crash course (no pun intended).

You arrive 30 minutes prior to your flight. Parking is free. They give you a quick intro and then fill up a cooler with drinks for you. They also provide you with snorkel gear if you don't have your own.

Board the plan! If possible try to sit in the back two seats or co-pilot seat. Those offer the best view and remove the wingspan from any photos. The plane holds a total of 10 people and everyone gets a window seat. No seat is a bad seat!

The plane takes off and you begin seeing some really magnificent sites from the air including: sand dunes, ship wrecks, political refugee boats, smaller keys, turtles, dolphins and a ton of sharks! Your pilot is also a tour guide and has everyone hook-up to the head sets so he can talk to you while flying.

You make your approach into Fort Jefferson about 35 minutes after taking off. This was one of the smoothest landings I have ever experienced and it was on water!!!!!!!

They give you 2.5 hours to explore the fort and snorkel. This is plenty of time. The island is real small and you can walk it in about 20 minutes. Spend the rest of the time snorkeling and taking photos. If you want you can leave some of your belongings on the plane however you can not get them again until take-off. Keep in mind the facilities on this island are very limited. They have a bathroom, changing room and small air-conditioned museum. We did not find this to be a problem at all! It's not like your imprisoned there like Dr. Mudd.

My only recommendation is to avoid taking this trip a few days after a hurricane has passed. On the way back and even while snorkeling you could tell the water was still stirred up. This made water visibility somewhat of a challenge but not awful.

This was an incredible trip and I plan to do this every time I am back in Key West.

For those with a fear of flying, you are only 500 feet above the water. The plane ride is very safe and smooth. I normally hate flying and found myself to love this! The take-off from the airport and landing in the water are incredibly smooth! I would say more-so than a commercial airline! The take-off in the water was a little bumpy. It is very similar to going fast in a speed boat. It was nothing to be scared of.

2  Thank Firemansta151