“The bomb”

Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I eat here at least once a week its by far the best cuban on the island however if you want a real cuban order it with out lettuce tomato and mayo. Then you have the best cuban in keywest!

1  Thank moveswithwater

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We went to Sandy's last night for an after dinner snack after a highly disappointing carry out from Daddy Bones BBQ (by far the worst restaurant food I've ever attempted to put in my mouth). I liked the ambiance of Sandy's as its just s fast, friendly, cafe. The gentleman who took my order as well as the gentleman who served my sandwich were both very friendly and smiling. We live in Tampa and have awesome Cuban sandwiches there. This was okay. It wasn't pressed and I found that odd. I think I may have lived it had it been pressed. It was just unusual eating it on soft Cuban bread rather than crunchy. Next time we visit I will try Sandy's again, but I'll try a different dish.

Be forewarned that they are cash only. I had to run into the pizza place across the road to grab some cash from the ATM.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stopped here for lunch after a few hours of biking because there was a small line outside. We met Skip O'Niel, the unofficial ambassador of Key West (as designated by the Mayor). With his walker he does about 5 miles a day and hence he knows everyone. Fascinating local who used to fly jets for the air force. He recommended the Sandy, which is their flavor of the classic Cuban. The sandwich was great and fulling. The only improvement is that I would use a traditional roll instead of the soft role that they used.

Stop here is you want a taste of local flavor.

First Today

1  Thank Beach2007
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This place also known as M&M Laundry, has a greasy spoon cafe attached to a laundry mat. I have been going there for years because its open all hours and they have strong coffee.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am ashamed to admit that I lived here for a year before finally trying Sandy's. Yes, I'd heard about all the hype about how great their Cuban sandwich is. I live not far from here and have passed it hundreds of times before I finally gave in and decided to give it a try. I am SO glad I did.
This truly IS the definitive Cuban sandwich. The portions are huge - one sandwich is truly enough for two people -unless you are REALLY REALLY hungry. The meat is fresh and the pork is tender and delicious. Living in Key West, I've had my share of Cuban mixes and I've had some where the pork is fatty and tough - yuk. That is not the case here. I could eat here every week but I do try to limit myself to maybe once every other week :) By the way, as a hint for those who've never had a Cuban sandwich, It is made with pork and ham if you go somewhere other than here and you order a Cuban sandwich and the ham is lunchmeat and the pork is not fresh shredded pulled pork, then you're not having a true Cuban mix. Spare yourself the heartbreak and go to Sandy's. If you don't like the beverage offerings, pop in across the street at Fausto's where you can pick up anything from your standard soda to much more high end cold beverages. ENJOY!!!

2  Thank John H