“Great vacation house for a family with young kids”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Diamondfi...
Westerville, Ohio
“Great vacation house for a family with young kids”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 for a stay in July 2012
people found this review helpful

We stayed in the Down Island Diggs in July of 2012. Overall the house was small but very accommodating for my myself, wife and children (7 and 9). I'll list out some of the pro's and con's we experienced about our stay.

Checkin: Very easy. The management company sent me a code and the key was in a lock box on the front porch. We never used the management company throughout the week (which is a good thing) so I can't say if they're responsive or not.

Location: The location was PERFECT. Close enough to Duval to take a quick stroll, but away from the noise and hustle and bustle. Truly felt like you were away from the action. One great part about the location is the proximity to Fausto's grocery store (literally walk out the front door and you're 50 feet from it). We shopped there 20X during our week vacation. I saw reviews about noise from the grocery store, but our children stayed in the front of the house and they never heard anything. There are a few restaurants very close by as well for some quick subs/pizza, etc. Overall, the location doesn't get much better.

Outdoors:

I'll start with the outside since the house's main attraction is the pool.

Pool: I must say, I looked at the pictures and the pool seemed very small, but if you have younger children, it is absolutely perfect. The worst part of the pool was getting them out of it. They ate their breakfast with their feet in the water and loved playing on the steps with their toys. It gets to about ~6 feet deep but there is about 6-8' of pool where my 7 year old could stand and bounce around. The one downside to the pool is the amount of leaves that fall into it throughout the day that you'll need to use the net to get out. Not a big deal, but a little bit of a pain. Hint: Go to Kmart and buy pool toys, rafts, snorkel gear, etc. You'll save a ton of $$.

Backyard - The back yard was very nice. We spent 90% of our time around the pool and felt very secluded. The tree's and high fencing (20') kept the neighbors from seeing inside. We used the hammock a few times which was nice and cozy. My wife and I rearranged the chairs/tables in the back, sat around surfing the internet on our iPads while the kids played. There is a grill in the back (which we never used) but is nice.

House- Overall the house was nice, but is small and has no central air. The front of the house has 1 large bedroom and bathroom with a ~queen size bed and a couch with a pullout bed. My 7 year old used the couch/bed (the mattress is thin so ann adult wouldn't be comfortable). There is a TV in that room that worked well. The AC unit in the front bedroom worked really well and cooled off easily. The back of the house has another bedroom overlooking the pool with a 3/4 wall to the ceiling (i.e. not an enclosed bedroom). There is an AC unit in the front room, but with the open room, the air wasn't contained and the room felt warm at times. The ceiling fan in the "living room" helped to keep it cool. We never felt overly warm (even in July) but were never overly cool either. I went to Kmart on the island and bought a fan to put at the foot of the bed to keep us cooler at night. In the back bedroom is the washer/dryer which worked well. The kitchen was very nice and had everything we needed.

Other amenities: The parking space was about a 50' walk to the house. It was caddy corner in a parking lot with a sign for the house. We had a Camry and had no issues (other than someone in the house next door parking in our spot 1 time). The internet in the house was very fast (15mbps). We had no issues connecting 5 devices and had all bars around the house and yard.

Overall I would definitely recommend this house to friends and family. Great location, great pool, and hey, it's in Key West.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and Pool
Liked least: No Central Air
Traveling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
CFDgrunt
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very nice place, but very very small!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012 for a stay in February 2011

We rented Down Island Digs about a year and a half ago with some friend of ours.Very beautiful home. Nice heated pool. Fantastic yard. Grocery store right across the street. Close to all the action of Duval St. The management folks were GREAT to deal with... But, the house is very very small for two couples for a week..For the couple that gets the room off the living room, there is no privacy. The wall that separates the BR from the living room doesn't go all the way to the ceiling, and you can hear a pin drop in the kitchen and living room. I have to admit I was a little disappointed by the end of my stay with how cramped it truely was.

You can't beat how close it is to everything, including the grocery store right across the street. And like it states on the info page, the attention to detail in the yard is spectacular.

Overall It's a Beautiful Cottage, and I gave 3 stars because I thought it was a little to small and pricey. But, that's my personal opinion, and isn't that what tripadvisor is for.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The outside seating area
Liked least: To Small
Traveling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing