“2nd Stay Good as the First”
Check Availability

Reviews from our community

Any
Alan W
Yukon, OK
“2nd Stay Good as the First”
Reviewed December 8, 2013 for a stay in November 2013
person found this review helpful

This was our second stay at the Watson House. First was in November, 2010. We were very pleased to see the owners had done extensive remodeling to the property. Every bedroom had its own bath. Was not the case before. We had a very large group and the Watson House is really good for that as we could see everyone when we wanted or have our privacy when we wanted. Very convenient location to everything in Key West. We were on foot and had no problems. It is a beautiful place and we would stay there again.

Traveling group: Large Group
ART9099
Farmington, Connecticut
“Disappointed at first but worked out ok.”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 for a stay in May 2013
person found this review helpful

The house is beautiful. Large home with spacious deck and in-ground pool. The interior of the home as been recently upgraded. The location to Duval Street is perfect. We were a group of seven couples (ages 39-49). We wanted a house instead of a hotel so we had common space to hang out instead of hanging out in each other's hotel rooms. This home is ideal for that.
When I originally viewed the website, it advertised the main home (The Watson House), the adjoining art-deco cottage (Grande Dame), the in-ground pool and a hot tub. Because we didn't want to share the property with others for the 5 day weekend, our group was interested in booking both the Watson House and the Grand Dame. Apparently, in the three week span between viewing the website and signing the contract, the owners decided to renovate the property and redesign their website. The two housing areas are now separate and there is no longer a hot tub. The name of the large home is now called...Grande Dame Key West - 'The Watson House'. So, I was unaware when signing the contract that I was not reserving both units. When I called to "check-in" prior to our arrival, I asked how I was to get access into the cottage. The woman I spoke with told me that there would be keys left in the main home for the cottage. Upon arrival, we noticed that the hot tub was missing and that none of the keys opened the cottage doors. I phoned the rental agency and was told that the renovations had occurred and that we had only rented the main house. She said that she wasn't sure how I could have know that there used to be a hot tub or that the art-deco cottage used to be part of the property. I told her that I saw it on their website. I then pulled up the website on my phone and saw a whole different website. The hot tub and the cottage were no longer part of the site. I asked to speak to the owner of the company but he could not be reached until after our stay.
Thankfully, one of the seven couples is on the shorter side. They took the top floor room because everyone else was too tall. We couldn't believe that even they had to duck in the shower. It wasn't what they had expected for their "vacation suite" especially compared to the other rooms/bathrooms. However, they were good sports and didn't complain. I don't think the people who ended up renting the cottage next to us were too happy. There is only a partial wall and door that didn't close very well between the two pool areas. Fourteen people laughing and talking by the pool all day couldn't be all that relaxing to those guests. We really tried to avoid this by renting both units. They never complained but we did feel bad for them. We even asked if they wanted to join us.
When we arrived home, the owner did contact me via email. Basically, he just apologized for the miscommunication and hoped that we had a pleasant stay. Our group wasn't happy with the "miscommunication". We did miss not having the extra cottage and having to share the property. Two of the toilets in the home had to be flushed by sticking your hand in the tank to adjust the mechanics. Other than that, the home is very nice and clean. There were a lot of positive aspects to staying in this property. If it weren't for the rental issues, I would have given the property 4 out of 5 stars.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The size of the home.
Liked least: Not getting what we thought we were paying for.
Traveling group: Large Group
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
Aug 1, 2013
Apparently this customer saw the property before it was renovated and the information on the website updated. However there was no way we could have known that. Our records show that at the time we were contacted the website was reflecting the property updates. We also emailed a link to the website description when the quote was sent to the customer. It is unfortunate that there was confusion about the layout, however the renovated house still accommodated the same amount of people.
As far as the minor maintenance issues - we do have a maintenance line in case of any problems at the house.
We are sorry to hear the customer was disappointed at first but happy that they enjoyed their overall stay and the new layout of the property worked out for them.
JulieRush
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Beautiful Property and Incredible Location”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 for a stay in December 2012
people found this review helpful

We stayed at the Grande Dame in December for the Key West Film Festival. Our group consisted of three couples and 5 single guys, so we occupied the main house and carriage house. The home is beautiful inside and very true to the photos. There is a full kitchen on every level which came in handy for snacks. The bedrooms vary in size and some of them do not have a closet. There is also a large bedroom on the second floor that requires you to walk through a smaller bedroom unless you are accessing it from the outside porch which is what we did. The third floor is like a bachelor pad with a big screen TV, but the bed is a strange futon and the shower is very small. The pool and extra large hot tub are fabulous, but sun worshippers beware... the back yard got sun for a very small amount of time. Now this may be due to the time of year. I'm not a weatherman.

The location is fantastic!! We walked to all of the hot spots... Hemingway's House, the Southern Most Point, Blue Heaven, and of course Duval St. The guys all rented scooters for the week and they road them once. ONCE. There is a fantastic breakfast / lunch spot directly across the street called Sarabeth's. We started almost every morning there with omelets and mimosas.

Without question, we would stay here again. Typing this review makes me want to rally the troops very soon. Enjoy your stay!!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location....it could not have been better.
Liked least: Lack of sun
Traveling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
NYHokie
Annapolis, Maryland
“Exceeded Expectations - Great Vacation Rental!”
Reviewed November 15, 2011 for a stay in October 2011

I stayed at the Grande Dame in Key West, Florida in mid October with 11 other late 20 something guys for a bachelors weekend. The house exceeded the high expectations we had going into the weekend. Before booking we utilized the Grande Dame's website. The website provided us a virtual tour aided by photos of the massive complex, the pictures were very nice, but after being in the house, the pictures didn't do it justice.

There was a guest house behind the main house adjacent to the pool and hot tub. There were three stories of rooms/bathrooms/kitchens - all of which were clean and spacious. There was a laundry unit in the second floor which was conveient.

The house sits just a block away from the world famous Duval Street. The Bahama village is within walking distance. The southernmost point of the U.S. and Hemingway's house are walkable - but rather far from this location.

If I were to go to Key West again with a large group of people - I would do everything I could to return to this house.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: With Friends
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
NJ
Reviewed October 17, 2011 for a stay in October 2011

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk
Liked best: It was conveniently located.
Liked least: There wasn't really anything I disliked.
Your age range 45-54
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Young singles Friends getaway
Families with teenagers Tourists
Large groups Luxury-minded travelers
Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
$1,590
Night
Week
Make Inquiry
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing