“Fabulous!”

The Flaming Buoy Filet Co.
Ranked #20 of 449 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: An "only in Key West" restaurant, The Flaming Buoy Filet Co. makes a statement on the hushed stage of a residential neighborhood. It is one part retro supper club, one part sassy corner bistro, and one part highly personal whim. Fred Isch, self-proclaimed Air Force Brat, grew up in every geographic segment of the country with a mother who loved cooking and collecting recipes. His partner, Scot Forste, grew up on the farm where his mother, bored of city life, spontaneously relocated to get back to the land, breed horses, and grow fresh, healthy food. Every recipe on the Flaming Buoy menu is an interpretation of something Fred or Scot ate at their respective family tables. Local additions, like seafood, tropical fruits, and Cuban flavors reinterpret the nostalgia, and the result grabbed the attention of the New York Times in 2011. Whether from a porch seat next to pots of herbs, or inside a white dining room accented in orange, dining the Flaming Buoy way is delicious and fun.
Reviewed July 10, 2014

In my top ten dining experiences. It's intimate, a great atmosphere and from start to finish the service was wonderful. As for the food - it's was sublime. We had the bacon wrapped scallops (delicious), chicken and waffles, and the tropical stir fry. Wonderful, well thought out dishes which didn't need the lovely presentation they had to shine through.

Ten out of ten - will definitely be visiting again next time we are in town!

Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Alberto really knows his stuff. Convinced me to do the entree dinner trio and they're the perfect sizes.

Extremely knowledgeable of wines and absolute confidence in his kitchen staff.

This Agro-American grouper is the business.

Dined outside with my dog and didn't once feel like I was an inconvenience. He made sure of that.

1  Thank drapeto
Reviewed July 8, 2014

The food was awesome especially the trio starter with the lobster mac and cheese . This was by far the best meal we had during the week we spent in Key West .
Book in advance to ensure you get to try this wonderful resturant .
Would go back it was amazing .

Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Off the beaten path for sure but SO worth it! Amazing food and lovely service from Mikah. She had great knowledge of the menu, specials and wine too! Quiet and romantic. I would say the best mac N cheese in the world!!!!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our party of 8 had reservations at this restaurant. About that reservation...they actually had to have our credit card number to secure the reservation. A little strange, but ok, I guess I can understand why since it is a very small place and we were actually taking up quite a large bit of it with our group. The restaurant was located in a residential area, so it is definitely off the beaten path. A very nice, quaint little place, but a little dark. Our table was ready when we arrived. When we were all seated, our server (one of them, as we actually never did figure out who our server was), came to our table. Before she even greeted us, she made some sarcastic remark to one of our party, I think she was trying to be comical. Throughout the course of the dinner, these "comical" remarks kept coming, not only from her, but from the other server. At one point during the evening, I asked where the ladies' room was. The female server told me they didn't have one, I could use the pot plant that was sitting near our table! I did not find this amusing, nor did anyone at our table, or the entire restaurant for that fact. Their behavior was inappropriate for such a lovely little restaurant. Now, about the food...it really was pretty good. We had appetizers, entrees', dessert, wine and beer. No complaints about any of it by anyone in our party. I even asked our server if he could send the chef to our table. The server got a very peculiar look on his face and asked if something was wrong with the food! I told him no, that I would just like to compliment him on the delicious meal. After a few minutes, someone (definitely not the chef) came to our table. He said that the chef did not want to come out because he was "hot and sweaty". It was all just a little strange to me. My only complaint was the sarcastic demeanor of the staff. Our table spent well over $500 for dinner, drinks, etc. We expected a little more courtesy from the wait staff.

3  Thank jshw