“A Key West Must Try!”

The Flaming Buoy Filet Co.
Ranked #19 of 451 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: An "only in Key West" restaurant, The Flaming Buoy Filet Co. makes a statement on the hushed stage of a residential neighborhood. It is one part retro supper club, one part sassy corner bistro, and one part highly personal whim. Fred Isch, self-proclaimed Air Force Brat, grew up in every geographic segment of the country with a mother who loved cooking and collecting recipes. His partner, Scot Forste, grew up on the farm where his mother, bored of city life, spontaneously relocated to get back to the land, breed horses, and grow fresh, healthy food. Every recipe on the Flaming Buoy menu is an interpretation of something Fred or Scot ate at their respective family tables. Local additions, like seafood, tropical fruits, and Cuban flavors reinterpret the nostalgia, and the result grabbed the attention of the New York Times in 2011. Whether from a porch seat next to pots of herbs, or inside a white dining room accented in orange, dining the Flaming Buoy way is delicious and fun.
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

What a great meal and dinner experience! Loved our fun wait staff, Stuart Brian and Tiny Dancer!! The Lobster Mac and Cheese appetizer was two thumbs up!!!Brain suggested we try the Waffles and Chicken since he had 6 times that week. Reluctantly, I did (I don't care for waffles) and this was the most amazing combination!! So glad I followed his suggestion! My hubby had the Hogfish daily catch and it was delicious!! This is a great place and you can have fun with the staff! This is no stuffy restaurant, let your hair down and enjoy the experience! We will be back on our next trip down!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,574)

Reviewed February 22, 2014

One of the best meals we had in Key West. We also had grilled fish -- Hog Fish and Mahi Mahi. The appetizer trio was just short of heaven - Lobster Mac& Cheese and the Grilled Shrimp especially memorable. Plus the spicy chocolate quesadilla is not to be missed -- a true taste treat. The owners go all out to make the dining experience extra special. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Went here with family. Book ahead and book early as there are maybe 15 tables in this place. All enjoyed their meals. Be sure to get the stuffed lobster, it was one of the best meals I've had in a while. The turf portion of my meal was good too. Grilled fish was amazing. Desserts were so so, but service was great. Will definitely go back if ever in Key West again.

1  Thank GeauxTiguhs
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Brian was our waiter and he was wonderful, so fun and described the dishes beautifully. We all loved our food and had: catch of the day, lobster Thermidor, stir fry, lobster Mac n cheese, chicken and waffles, ribs, all fantastic. If we would change anything, we would add more beer selections, and while the chicken was out of this world, the waffles left a bit to be desired.

1  Thank Ann C
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Asked concierge at our hotel to suggest a restaurant for dinner. Could not arrange our first choice...but not to worry because we ended up at The Flaming Buoy Filet Company. Although off the beaten path, it was worth a cab ride to the restaurant. The restaurant is a converted home. It is very intimate and small. We chose to sit on the front porch. If it is cool, you may choose to sit inside or bring a jacket. It was cool so our waiter brought me his jacket to put over my shoulders...personal service!

We ordered on the recommendation of the waiter (Brian...cannot say enough good things about this young man. Funny, personable, knowledgeable, entertaining. He made us feel like we were the only two people at the restaurant. Even served us from the other side of the railing by standing in the bushes...still makes me laugh.). Although this establishment does not have liquor they do have beer and wine.

On Brian's suggestion we had a Bahamian beer called Kalik. Not too bad. We had the lobster mac & cheese as an appetizer which was the BEST I've ever eaten. Creamy with chunks of lobster and parmesan cheese shredded on top. My husband ordered the Filet Company Three Way. The ingredients sound blah, but the results are outstanding! It's chili served over spaghetti...YUM! I had the Lobster Thermador special. Lobster partially cooked in the shell, removed and cut up, put back into the shell after being mixed with mushrooms and sherry. The dish was served with ginger julienned carrots, real mashed potatoes and a spicy broccoli muffin. Lots of food for the money. Excellent value. My husband and I should have split an entree.

If you do have the opportunity to try FBFC, ask for Brian as your waiter. You will NOT regret it. I don't have many waiters hug my neck when I leave.