“Really fun”

The Flaming Buoy Filet Co.
Ranked #17 of 459 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: An "only in Key West" restaurant, The Flaming Buoy Filet Co. makes a statement on the hushed stage of a residential neighborhood. It is one part retro supper club, one part sassy corner bistro, and one part highly personal whim. Fred Isch, self-proclaimed Air Force Brat, grew up in every geographic segment of the country with a mother who loved cooking and collecting recipes. His partner, Scot Forste, grew up on the farm where his mother, bored of city life, spontaneously relocated to get back to the land, breed horses, and grow fresh, healthy food. Every recipe on the Flaming Buoy menu is an interpretation of something Fred or Scot ate at their respective family tables. Local additions, like seafood, tropical fruits, and Cuban flavors reinterpret the nostalgia, and the result grabbed the attention of the New York Times in 2011. Whether from a porch seat next to pots of herbs, or inside a white dining room accented in orange, dining the Flaming Buoy way is delicious and fun.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Great food, and fantastic service...Brian was the bomb.....funny, attentive and just plain great as was the food.....really loved it here...will definitely be back

Write a ReviewReviews (1,627)

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Great little place, with REALLY lovely food, unusual combinations, wonderful scallops, and my daughters Chilli was beautifully spiced and enriched with chocolate, best chilli I have ever tasted.
Go if you love great food and unpretentious friendly staff.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The three piece appetizer of grilled shrimp, caprese salad, and lobster mac and cheese was the highlight of a delicious meal and should not be missed. Memory of the lobster mac and cheese resulted in it being the first stop for dinner on our next trip to Key West. Yes, it was that good. Funky, charming, old Key West home, friendly service, and romantic evening.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

On a recent visit to Key West (a first for both my husband and I) we made a reservation at the Flaming Buoy after reading some reviews and we were not disappointed at all. In fact, we loved the experience so much we went back a few days later before heading home to New York (and I am still the mayor of the Flaming Buoy on Foursquare!). The Flaming Buoy isn't just a great restaurant, it's like having dinner at your best friends house. The first night, our server Brian sat down at our table to take us through the menu. Throughout the meal he topped up our wine glasses and even did a shot with us at the end of the night! We tried all of his suggestions. No visit to the Flaming Buoy is complete without the Lobster Mac & Cheese. We started with the trio of appetizers including the Lobster Mac, marinated local shrimp and a little salad. For our mains, I had the Hogfish with banana salsa, which I LOVED and my husband had the Chicken and waffles. The portions were so generous I nearly struggled to finish my Hogfish, but it was SO good I cleaned the plate (ok, except for the broccoli muffin which I did not love). That night, we demolished the spicy chocolate quesadillas and skipped down the street back to our hotel. As I said, it was so good, we went back two nights later and we both had the Chicken and waffles. I don't know what they do to make the chicken so amazing, but the spicy syrup is something else! That night Alberto was our server and if you see him, you must ask him about his pants. Bottom line, this place is an experience, it's off the beaten path and I highly recommend. This is a slice of old Key West.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

In theory this shouldn't work, but the results are amazing. Tender beer battered chicken, waffles with just enough spice, a side of maple syrup with broccoli & sweet potato mash. Washed down with a couple of bottles of Banks beer. Terrific service from Fred, great atmosphere, cool sounds in the background from Joy Division & The Cure & , and some mashed up tunes too.

Will be back someday to try the Chili with chocolate too.

It's more than worth the very short walk from Duval Street.... go on, see for yourself.