“Another Outstanding Experience with Lost Reef Adventures!!”

Lost Reef Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Looking to experience diving or snorkeling in the Keys? We offer two daily diving and snorkeling excursions, all PADI scuba instruction, as well as a full line of scuba equipment for sale and rent. Just Curious about diving? Try our Discover Scuba course. Dive in a day! Contact us today and book your next Adventure!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 30, 2013

If you want a safe and professionally run dive shop, this is the place. I have been traveling to Key West for over a dozen years and have dived throughout the Caribbean and Hawaii. The crew at Lost Reef is second to none! Captains, DM's and instructors are all top-notch. Safety is a priority, and the crew is always there to work through any issues both on the boat and below the surface. Dive briefings are thorough with suggested profiles to avoid deco. Be sure to dive the Vandenberg - its a dive of a lifetime. Hire a guide if you're reluctant, as they know the ship inside and out (literally), and will work you through a multi-level profile to enjoy your dive. Don't forget the Cayman Salvagemaster and Joe's tug. These are a couple smaller wrecks that give you a chance for some diversity. The reefs are teaming with life also. We had 85 foot viz blow into the reefs last week with manageable current. Reminded me of the viz in the Caymans a few months ago! Lots to see and do at all dive sites.

Make sure you remember to tip these guys (and gals). They work great together as a team to make your dives seamless - all with a smile. Been on the "Dream" dozens of time, and never seen or had a careless or unprofessional event. Again, this crew is second to none!

Gas fills, including Nitrox, were all 3k+. Never had a short fill here.

Planning on heading back in the fall. I would suggest you do the same. You won't regret it.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I called three (3) times during the month of May and spoke to Nick each time about reservations for Monday June 24th through Wednesday, June 26th. The last time I spoke to him on May 30th, he confirmed that we were signed up for two reef dives Monday afternoon, double dives on the Vandenberg Tuesday morning, and a wreck/reef dive for Wednesday morning. When we arrived in Key West on Sunday, we decided to look for the dive shop. They happened to be open so we stopped to touch base with them about our dives. At that time, we were told that we had NO RESERVATIONS for the next day - Monday afternoon. When I explained to the clerk that I spoke to Nick three (3) times, he was very pleasant, but informed us that the boat was full and there was nothing that could be done. He also mentioned that this happens quite often. Needless to say, this upset us as we came to Key West only for the diving.

Although we had a bad experience with our reservations, we did dive with Lost Reef for two days and felt the Captain and crew were fantastic!!! Capt. Chris and Patrick were wonderful with their briefings, they were very friendly and professional as well.

2  Thank Jamie34288
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The GOOD:

The entire crew, from Captain to Dive Masters and Instructors were fantastic, and deserve a round of applause. Excellent dive briefings, helpful and smiling at all times, I can not say enough about the entire crew and I would have loved to leave a 5 STAR review!!

The BAD:

We arrived Sunday evening in Key West and immediately reported to the dive store in order to confirm (again and again and again) our Monday PM diving reservations that we made weeks ahead of time. Yes…you guessed it: they had no clue about our Monday reservation and thus wasted an entire day of our vacation. Apparently this is NOT an isolated incident and according to the staff that was helping us on that day this has been happening more and more often. This is totally unacceptable, especially since THE OWNER of the establishment was involved. Yes Nick, it was you. It's OK to smile once in a while.
I’m a Floridian and not one of those rich summer tourists from up north and every day of my hard earned vacation is important and valuable to me!! Never heard an apology or an attempt to make it right! Live and learn!!

My advice:

Check, re-check and double check your reservations and then check it again!!
Good luck!!

You can store your gear in the dive store and let it dry in an outside shed. Bring your own hangers!!

You will have to pay for parking (by the hour)…….in the long run NOT cheap!!

Happy Diving! :)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

If you're a "real" Scuba Diver this is the shop for you. No frills here however, so if your looking for the Big Pink fluffy towel when you get out of the water you'll need to bring it your self. What they do have is a great crew of seasoned divers, a nice boat with all the amenities, reasonable competitive rates and the BEST little Dive Instructor in the Keys, Cheryl McDermid she took me through my AOW Cert without flaw and by the PADI book. We reviewed each aspect in the pertinent chapters of the manual prior to the dives. She clearly stated the objectives we were to be involved with for each dive independently and followed through on each. I couldn't have felt safer or in better hands. Our boat captain Adam, great sense of humor but no nonsense when it comes to the safety of his guests and crew as shown when we were to dive Joe's Tug and the current was too much for a safe dive. The first mate on that dive was Peter (another member of this outstanding team of divers) who after jumping in to "test the waters" came up with a head shake and saying I don't think so. Adam took Peter's professional opinion and made the call to scrub the dive there and moved us to a better location for a reef dive. It couldn't have been better. The dives on the Vandenberg were amazing, the top side briefing by Adam and Peter was delivered susinctly and were exact in there nature with only the information pertinent to the dive disseminated. Cherly provided the information required for my first "Deep Water Dive" and "Wreck Dive" with precision so I new exactly what to expect and felt comfortable in the process. Her underwater Navigation and equipment skills are top notch and (Bonus) she knows all the best places to eat and drink in town too. From Adrian to Nic (the owner) and all the rest of the crew I've mentioned, I felt I was in competent hands with seasoned veterans from the on set. The only thing that may improved my experience upon my inevitable return, because this will be the only dive shop I do business with when I go back to Key West, is if Nic bucks up for a little AC for the shop. Like I said no frills, just the real deal. With that said, the crew did have Orange slices and cold water to drink after the dives for your surface interval and yes the boat had a head. The shop is equipped with first rate rental equipment including "Dive Computers" and retail items to purchase. There's a dunk tank to rinse your equipment in at the end your dive and a storage closet to dry your gear in if your returning the following day,.. and allll the bottled air you can breath! I don't know what else a SUBA Diver could want. This was a "Top Shelf" experience all the way around...

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We dove with lost reef 4 days last week and they were great. The price was very reasonable and the boat and shop crew were the best I have had the pleasure of doing business with/diving with, and as a dive master I have been on many different charters. The dive master on the boat Patrick was also extremely helpful and attentive. It was a real pleasure to dive with lost reef and when we return to key west we will book all our dives with these guys again. I would recommend them to any diver no matter what their certification level was. Thanks again Patrick and the staff of lost reef adventures.