“Waiting to Dive a ship I served on.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 163 things to do in Key West
Little Torch Key, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Waiting to Dive a ship I served on.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I live in the Lower Keys and only 25 miles from Key West. I'm a certified diver, however I have not dived on the Vandenberg yet.

I worked for the Military Sealift Command (MSC), and worked on a number of ships at Port Canaveral back in the early 90's. I served on the Vandenberg.

Since it was used as missile tracking ship, we used to carry many VIP's out to watch Shuttle launches. While I was aboard, I saw a 3:00 am launch of a shuttle from 2.5 miles off the Cape. What an exciting thing it was. When the engines fired, it was like air being sucked out of my lungs. It also became daylight for a few minutes. What a view for many minutes.

I am very much looking forward to when I can stand on the deck where I stood for the shuttle launch about 33 years ago.

If you are a diver, this is a must do dive. Perhaps I'll join you.

3 Thank GoneTropical

Cherokee, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fantastic wreck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This wreck gets better every year. A must see for serious divers. Be sure you go on a low current day for an easier dive.

2 Thank tricor43
Laurel, Maryland, United States
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“You Gotta See It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a great wreck to dive. There are lots of rooms to go in and out of and multiple places to swim through.

New Windsor, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing wreck dive!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was the most amazing wreck dive I have ever done! It was deep, adventurous, visibility was great! Never experienced such an amazing sense of the surreal. Highly recommend this dive to both all divers!!!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Karen M
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Huge Ship With Lots to Do”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family recently took a dive on the Vandenberg and had a great time. We used Lost Reef Adventures and had a fabulous experience. The dive crew was awesome and shared a lot of helpful information about the VB dive site.

The dive itself had both good and bad points. The vis was limited on our first dive (10-15 feet) and improved but not great on our second (15-20 feet). The ship is enormous and for slower than average divers, it could take a dozen dives to see the whole thing safely. For divers who love photography, even with the limited vis outside the ship, there are several neat places within the ship that provide excellent photo opportunities.

I am definitely looking forward to a return trip but maybe later in the spring or summer to catch better conditions. I am amazed that someone had a 100+ feet of vis during December this year. However, I hope to return at a time that I can have a similar experience.

1 Thank checht96