“I got ripped off at Barefoot Billy,s”
Review of Barefoot Billy's

Barefoot Billy's
Reviewed October 14, 2010

On Reach property there is a contractor that rents beachfront for a personal watercraft (PWC) tour company called Barefoot Billy's. On a rain (all day) forecast my family wanted to find out if the tour was going out or not. The short story is that we had no less than seven calls to the booking agent, Barefoot Billy's, the concierge (at our time share resort), and on line sources with no call back to answer our weather/tour questions. As it was we set out on our scooters in the rain on the chance that we would get a tour. We went on a tour around the island.
The damage to the PWC was my fault. I could fix the damage in my shop for $15. An eighth grader could fix it in fiberglass shop class in a class period. I was expecting a $20 to $50 "fine". They charged me the full $200 for the damage.
My wife's PWC rubbed up against mine at very low speed and put a one by eight inch hole in it. I pointed it out to the tour guide when we got back to the shack, I was honest and took responsibility for the damage, I was fined the full amount of the disclaimer.
My recommendation is to lie about it if you "blink " too. I had the opportunity to hide the damage until I got off of the property... I did not. I will not spend money there again and I do not recommend people do so. I had Barefoot Billy in my cell phone (of which no one answered) I will keep it in with the note not to call on these people for my PWC needs in the years to come.

3  Thank bgra317
Write a ReviewReviews (1,790)

Reviewed September 8, 2010

Tour guides were friendly and reassuring (to those who were new at wave running). The waivers were more strict than the actual practices (they did not make us wear wet suits, EG). Make sure you have sun screen on your back!!! Wear a hat WITH A CHIN STRAP if possible (or sunscreen your head). That sun is strong!

Reviewed August 31, 2010

I had never jet skiied solo but wanted to take the plunge while vacationing in Key West. The price for 2-hour tour was very affordable, and after witnessing the excitement and enthusiasm of others who were returning from the tour I was immediately sold.
We received a brief instruction on operating and safety procedures and then allowed to mount the Wave Runners. We then were encouraged to ride around 5-10 minutes in order to get acquainted and comfortable and set out on our journey. What a blast!! We circled the island in single file combined with brief informative stops of the island as well as to check in with the group, should we have any questions or requests. Later we took a free style 20 minute roaming session where we could get off an swim if we so chose. My husband and I just let loose and had the time of our lives - We were 50-year olds acting like we were still 20. The crew was great, very helpful and help make it a fantastic, memorable experience. I highly recommend Barefoot Billies!!!

Reviewed August 29, 2010

My husband and I took this "tour" last week. We've been to Key West many times but never toured the island from the water....and we still haven't! We could not keep up with the leader with the jet ski at full throttle. There were others that were able to keep up (better jet skis??) and seemed to want to race...which would have been fine if this was Barefoot Billy's Island Jet Ski Race!! Slamming the waves at 40 mph while keeping an eye out for other boaters and trying to stay on the machine doesn't leave any time for looking around. We did stop a few times to listen to the tour guide fly through a little island spiel (actually it was more like trying to listen to an auctioneer). I'm not afraid of the water or of speed but I can honestly say I had a few fearful moments. I would NEVER (EVER) recommend this to someone who would like to tour the island....or had never been on a jet ski. This was a testosterone driven race and should be advertised as such.

2  Thank TMG_2000
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I had only been on a jet ski once before and it was slower, on a Cancun snorkel tour. But this ride around the island was a great experience and lots of fun. I joined a group made up of one big family, from 40-something to the grandparents, maybe 70-75 yrs old, with others in-between. I am 67 and fit, but wondered if the older ones could stay aboard at the speeds we sometimes went. We all rode single (which is much better for control and more fun) except for the mother. She tried it with one middle-aged daughter but they were wobbly and slow so she moved to the Guide's ski at the first stop. Then we all did fine. I hung on tightly to the handlebars to stay onboard, esp at 65-75mph. We stopped several times to regroup and once to wade in shallow water. Near the end we all had 10 min to play in a wide area and zip around any way we wanted before heading back. I was impressed with how well we Seniors did at those fast speeds and bouncing over the wakes of others (no real ocean waves to deal with around this island). However I would not take any child under 16 on this trip (probably not permitted any way).