“Key West Haven”

YARM ON TEES
“Key West Haven”
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Burkmeister, Yarm on Tees, United Kingdom
Where do I start, this place is a piece of heaven, my partner Maxine and I booked this place direct with the owners and they were more than helpful. Imagine my shock when we arrived and they were away themselves, leaving daughter Brandi in charge. Well I must say, Brandi you did em proud. So helpful at what could have been a stressful time for us, getting married 2nd day in Key West, needed a good florist, well done Brandi you sorted one for us. The room was a bit smaller than we expected from the web site but still very nice, the garden out back was a piece of heaven away from the hustle and bustle of Duval St and how ace was the pool after a long day up and down Duval taking in all the bars etc. As said in other reviews it is far enough away to not hear the noisier bars down Duval. We WILL be coming back, we got married 2nd July 2007 on Smathers Beach at sunset and I will never forget the most fantastic place that is Key West and the Tropical Inn.
Andy & Maxine Burkinshaw, U.K.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2007

We just spent our 10th anniv. at The Tropical Inn in Key West and just loved it!! The ambiance is refreshingly unique, tropical, and landscaping is lush. The decor is very tasteful and makes you feel like you are on some island getaway...which in a way you are. To top if off, the hosts are extremely warm and gracious. Their dog, Biscuit, is a sweetie and helps dog owners get their fix. Breakfasts were wonderful and especially nice to have poolside. The pool and grounds are gorgeous! Although the Tropical Inn is on Duval, it was very quiet. It's halfway between each end of Duval and was very convenient for everything we wanted to do. We've been to Key West many times and will defineately stay again at the Tropical Inn. Visit their website and check out the beautiful rooms. This is one special, special place and it shows. You can't go wrong with this one!

Sonja and Mark
Vero Beach, Fl.

• Liked — the hosts and overall feel
  • Disliked — shower was small and not much counter space around sink
Depends on the month
Reviewed April 29, 2007

My third stay at Tropical Inn, and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Everything is exactly as I like it and Jane, Allan & Brandy are the best!

It feels like home to me and my husband (who is NOT a B&B person) loved it too(his first trip to KW). TI is private yet centraly located, the courtyard is beautiful, the upstairs porch is a blast for people watching and if you don't see something you need-they will get it for you.

Make sure to rent bikes (cars are a pain in KW no matter where you would stay) and if you need a recommendation for anything (dinner, sight-seeing, boat rentals, shopping) these people know it ALL!!!

Only home 24 hours and I can't wait to go back, don't know when that will be but I do know where I will stay...the Tropical Inn!!!

• Liked — Hard to say: location and amenities tie.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
scotland
Reviewed April 8, 2007

My wife and I stayed at this B & B on 3rd. & 4th. April. We had stayed at another B&B on Duval Street the previous night but fortunately (!) it was full and we had to move on. Lucky for us, as we found this gem.
We paid a walk in rate of $199 plus tax. We also paid $15 a night for car parking. I would recommend this as I got a ticket at 08.12 in the morning, having parked outside the inn to pack the car for the journey home (ouch !)
Our room was comfortable and air conditioned although the bathroom could probably have done with some upgrading. Despite the biz of Duval Street, our room was quiet at night.
The garden area was a delight and a great place to hang out in the late afternoon after sightseeing.
The continental breakfast served in the garden was a nice touch with plenty of cereals, fresh fruit, bread and coffee.
The staff were friendly and helpful although I was surprised to find that there is no one on duty after 5.00pm so don't forget to go out without your key.
Hopefully we will return to Key West and if so we will definitley make for the Tropical Inn.

• Liked — The garden/pool area
  • Disliked — bathroom
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2007

My mom and I just returned from a trip to the Florida Keys. We were staying in the Upper Keys and took a day trip to Key West. We liked Key West so much that we decided to stay the night. While exploring the shops and restaurants on Duval, we happened upon the Tropical Inn, a little gem of a place. From the front it appears quaint, which is why we went inside in the first place. Looks are deceiving, however, because we never expected to find the lush little tropical garden in the back, complete with a small pool, lounge chairs, and a hot tub, which was a treat after a long day of walking. Although our room was not large, it was very clean and charming and more than adequate for our needs. The Innkeeper gave us a great restaurant recommendation for the night, and they served a very nice little breakfast the following morning. On our next trip to the Florida Keys, we will skip the rest and head to Key West and the Tropical Inn. One final note, after we checked out and had driven about 20 miles, we got a call from the Innkeeper informing us that we had mistakenly left some of our purchases in the room. She took my address and promptly shipped these items to me in Chicago; she also declined my offer to pay for shipping. Nice touch. Great little place in the heart of Key West.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank jmwspoon
Reviewed April 2, 2007

I was a little apprehensive about staying at a "B&B" after a bad experience years ago, but The Tropical Inn has changed my opinion! My husband & I were at the Inn for 6 nights and had a wonderful experience.

The innkeepers (Brandi, Jane and Alan) were so warm and helpful. They served as our concierges and offered great suggestions for outings and meals (loved the Danger Charters sailing excursion!).

The accommodations were a bit small (stayed in the Key Lime Loft), but large enough for us, as we didn't spend much time in the room. Plus, the private balcony provided space for lounging. The room's bathroom was clean and functional, but it could have been updated / improved (though this was not an issue for us).

My absolute favorite part was the courtyard - the beautiful lush foliage, the pool/waterfall, the spa, the breakfast, the friendly pets. We really enjoyed spending time in this beautiful, quiet backyard .... and then being able to walk out the front door to the crazy fun of Duval Street!

• Liked — small inn
  • Disliked — size of room
1 Thank kmaldrich
Ontario
Reviewed March 28, 2007

We contacted BedandBreakfast.com to make a reservation for two nights in Key West. One of the few spots available was the Tropical Inn. We reserved a room for $259 per night.

The room was very small (perhaps they have larger). The bed sagged to the centre. The bathroom fittings were corroded and decades old but not quaint. The bathroom door was two askew shutters.

They charge extra for parking.

Perhaps we do not understand Key West during break but we did not perceive good value.

The linens were very nice and clean if that is all one wants in a B&B.

BTW, the web site actively solicits reviews. There were none for this location. When I tried to submit the review, I needed to send them receipts to validate the stay. I threw them out. I did not want to keep them as information for others or any future stay.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank MollyBloomOntario
Tuckandbiskit, Owner at Tropical Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
We regret that this guest perceived poor value during their visit, but must object to the exaggerated description of their accommodations, as justification for complaint. Perhaps he/she did not understand the nature of historic bed and breakfasts in Key West, which usually have rooms smaller than typical hotel rooms. The rate that was paid may have seemed comparatively high to those not acquainted with the fact that Key West rates are the highest in the state at all times of the year. This guest visited at the peak of high season. All of our bedding was brand new during the time of this guests' visit, so I suspect he/she was confusing a plush pillowtop with sagging. The bathroom fixtures may not have been the newest of models, but they were certainly not corroded, and the door was not "two askew shutters", but rather a louvered variety often found in tropical regions such as ours. We take great pride in the condition and cleanliness of our inn and the comfort of our guests. We hope that readers will rely on the numerous reviews on this website bearing this out.