“Made for a Tough "Babymoon"”
Review of Tropical Inn

Tropical Inn
Ranked #11 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Made for a Tough "Babymoon"”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Being a young couple, 7 months pregnant with our first, my husband and I decided to take one last vacation with just the two of us. (The new term for this is a "babymoon".) We chose Key West, as it seemed both relaxing, and a short distance from our home in New Orleans.

After scouring the internet for the perfect place to stay, we came upon the Tropical Inn. It was centrally located, offered tons of privacy with it's exclusive cabin rooms, and was an "adult only" resort. How relaxing! I called and spoke with Brandi, who helped me find one of the two rooms with parking. The room was $298 a night. We booked 5 nights.

We knew that parking on the isle was scared, but wanted to have a vehicle in case of exhaustion, emergency, or on the chance that we would find a spot near places of interest. We booked a rental car, and even wrote the Tropical Inn, this time speaking with Jane, to ensure that we had a parking space. AT NO TIME was I told that we would be blocked in during the entirety of our stay.

On our first full day there, my husband and I decided to try out the beach. It was only a mile, and since we were blocked in, we'd just walk there. Being so pregnant, I was in pretty bad shape by the time we reached our destination. I was quickly overheating, and breathing heavily, had a red face, and was sweating profusely. After walking me to the shade, my husband ran the mile back to the Tropical Inn to get the car, but of course, was blocked in. He went inside to find the owners, but couldn't find EITHER. By the time he had run across the street, paid $95 to rent a two person scooter, and drove out to get me, I was in tears, trying to waddle back home myself. As he drove me back, I became hysterical. I asked my husband to go and talk to them about this, to ask the owners if we'd be blocked in each day and to tell them about the rental we had to pay for. Their response? "Oh you can just come get us when you have to get in and out." NO mention of refunding us any amount to cover the scooter.

At this point, I wanted to cancel our reservation and go home. I couldn't go out in the heat and NOT have a backup plan to get back to the room if need be. However, we checked the cancellation policy, and there were no refunds!! We were stuck.

The next day we decided to take the car out early, go to a different beach altogether, off of the isle. When the owner moved his truck to let us out, he had the nerve to ask "How long do you think you'll be?" I responded, "Well, I'm 7 months pregnant. We could potentially be coming and going all day." His response? "Well, I'll just take your spot. Come and get me when you get back." I almost lost it. How courteous would we be to not block HIM in.

The rest of the days, we just walked to the nearest places and hung out by the pool. What else could we do? By Friday, I had relaxed and was not feeling so trapped. However, we were soon greeted by a 12 year old chasing the resident iguana up a nearby tree.

Great. Let's go back to the room. Again.

Here's the thing. There were other cabin-type rooms at Tropical Inn which did not include parking. They were half the price. We could have gone with that option and simply paid the $20 parking fee for the lot down the street. OR, we could have gone to a bigger resort, and had known ahead of time what to expect. We travel often, and are now seriously reconsidering our usual B&B approach.

4 Thank spunkygirl14
, Owner at Tropical Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
As this guest accurately points out, scarcity of parking is one of the minor aggravations that accompanies the popularity of our vacation destination. The upside of that is that pretty much everything is accessible by foot within the square mile that Old Town (the historic tourist district) occupies. In fact, as pointed out in numerous reviews on this site, the strategic location of the Tropical Inn places it within one-half mile of the farthest reaches of all Key West attractions; hence, the availability of guest parking is more a feature of storage convenience than one of transportation necessity.

Indeed, owing to the acknowledged parking issues, we do “double park” our own vehicle in the driveway accessing the Pineapple Lane Cottage during office hours. But we must take issue with this guest’s report that she and her husband were “blocked in for the entirely of our stay”. When checking a guest into either of the two garden suites that are affected, we advise that at no time whatsoever will an unattended vehicle impede their access; a simple call to the front desk, on a moment’s notice, will result in prompt ingress and egress.

It always surprises us when couples choose Key West – a walking and partying town – for vacations while anticipating the birth of a child – a recent phenomenon known as “babymoon”. Not surprisingly, this guest experienced issues related to her physical condition which, unfortunately for all, was exacerbated by her failure to make us aware – both in advance of her stay and during it -- of the importance of her having unimpeded access to her vehicle. If she had, we most certainly would have assured that she had it. One can only wonder why she waited until her return home and chose this forum to express her requirements.

We respectfully submit that this young woman’s complaints may be the result of hormonal irregularities common to pregnancy, thus her exaggerated responses to minor inconveniences that would be entirely manageable at another time. To become “hysterical” over a half-mile return from the beach when a simple call for a taxi would have provided a quick and economical solution is a bit dramatic. Also, the implication that we should have paid for her solution to the problem – a scooter rental that would have taken at least an hour to access, arrange, and been denied altogether had the rental company been aware of her pregnancy – seems extreme. We find it particularly interesting that she would mention this here because, at no time during her visit were we made aware that she and her husband had a scooter, nor was one evident in the parking area.

This guest further complains of “a 12 year old chasing the resident iguana up a nearby tree”. Iguanas and children are commonplace on our island, such oddities contributing to the quirky charm that distinguishes Key West. We regret that what we can only guess would have been one of our neighbors playing in the lane that accesses this guest’s accommodation was cause for such distress as to provoke self-imposed exile.

Ironically, the “other half” of the Pineapple Lane Cottage was concurrently occupied by a seasoned traveler celebrating, with his wife, their 32nd. wedding anniversary. As a study in contrast of how different one’s perception can be of quite similar environments, we hope the review he submitted -- coincidentally, right after the one this response addresses -- will stand as representative of the typical guest experience at the Tropical Inn.

We respectfully submit that, had the young expectant woman had the opportunity to meet these particular guests, she might have been given pause to reconsider the profundity of the inconveniences that accompany the entirely natural condition of pregnancy. The cheerful gentleman of this delightful duo required a mobility scooter for his enjoyment of the island – an unfortunate condition that both he and his wife gracefully take in stride. We found their outlook and deportment to be nothing short of inspirational. At no point in their stay did they allow their challenges to be a source of impediment or cause for special treatment. And, as evidenced by the 31 Tripadvisor contributions “Ft_MyersFrankieC” has to his credit on this site, this must be typical.

We wish our young guests every happiness with their new baby and hope that their experience in Key West will prove, in retrospect, to have been enrichment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed 5 nights at the Tropical Inn. We could not have asked for more. Brandi and the rest of the staff were fantastic and full of helpful hints and information. Our room was clean, quite and a wonderful place to go to and relax after a day of site seeing. The pool area was gorgeous and very tropical. We plan on going back and would not stay anywhere else!

Benton, LA, USA
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Tropical Inn in celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary. This was our first, but not last, trip to Key West, and we were absolutely delighted with our stay at the Tropical Inn. Upon our arrival, we received a warm and gracious welcome from Brandi and Allen. I cannot say enough about the hospitality and the willingness to assist us with suggestions for entertainment and restaurants. We felt as though we were visiting friends.
The pool/garden area is an oasis in the middle of town. It is lush, tropical, and a quiet haven to return to after the day's activities. Whether you choose to sit quietly, visit with other guests, take a dip in the pool, relax in the hot tub, read, or take a nap, you will find this area soothing and relaxing.
Our room was the Gecco Cottage, and it surpassed our expectations. This cottage is secluded from the main house. It was roomy, spacious, and quiet with a very comfortable king size bed. The bath area easily accommodated both of us, and had spa amenities. A special treat every evening was the enjoyment of the private patio with the dipping pool. We are trying to figure out a spot at our home to recreate this special retreat!!
The continental breakfast served on the back porch of the main house every morning was a perfect start to each day. The grounds and rooms were beautifully kept by the staff.We hope to get the opportunity to return to Key West again, and we will look no further than the Tropical Inn for a great place to stay!!

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Tropical Inn was great, perfect distance away from the party corner of Duval but close enough to walk "home" in about 10 minutes. The staff is very welcoming down to the cleaning ladies. I stayed in 3 different rooms and each one was perfect. The backyard pool area is like stepping into your private oasis. The bike rentals were so convenient and the best way to get around Key West. As long as they have vacancy I'll be staying at the Tropical Inn every time I visit Key West. I never write reviews but I felt like I really owed this one to Tropical Inn.

Evergreen Park, Illinois
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed at the Inn for our wedding anniversary. We spent a lot of time reviewing places to stay in Key West. Tropical Inn was perfect: right on Duval, quiet, beautiful grounds, pool, hot tub, lovely rooms, affordable, friendly and fabulous owners. We will stay there whenever we go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Coconut Cabana...it was the least expensive, but did not feel that way at all.
Bonaire, Georgia
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Well, I will start with the owners. Jane, Allen and Brandy could not have been better host/hostesses. They were so friendly, kind and helpful. You can tell they have put their heart and souls into making Tropical Inn a paradise retreat. From the moment we arrived we knew we had made a great choice in choosing their inn. Next,our room (the conch courtyard) was beautiful and private,we even had our own little area outside to have drinks or breakfast. The bedding was high quality(I am very picky about my sheets always pack my own, did not have to use). The bath products were wonderful as well. The private pool and courtyard were kept spotless. (sometimes you feel like you are the only people there)The breakfasts were simple but delicious.(loved the chocolate chip banana bread). the only thing that we regret is not knowing about the love locks sooner(you must ask about the cage in courtyard) i had not seen it on the website and did not hear the story until our last night. We will defiantly do a love lock next anniversary. We will sing the praises of this wonderful inn to everyone we know. Book here, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get one of the rooms in the courtyard,worth it.
1 Thank mobga
Queens, NY
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I picked this B&B based on its reviews here on Trip Advisor, and I have to say that I wasn't disappointed. My partner and I really enjoyed our time at Tropical Inn. You almost feel like you're the only person staying there as everything is pretty tranquil and private. We stayed in one of their newer rooms, the coconut cabana, which has an amazing shower, and is located outside of the main house with its own entrance. The room was quaint and comfortable. Breakfast is served right outside and around the corner from this room so it was pretty convenient in the mornings, the homemade breads and treats were good. Everyone was very friendly. The jacuzzi is nice to sit in and relax for a bit, and we even had a surprise visitor one day when an iguana came strolling through the grounds. The location is great, right on Duvall where it's all happening. Overall it was a nice experience and I would recommend this property for future visitors.