“Lovely place - one very minor negative”
Review of Heron House

Heron House
Ranked #55 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Note that there are two Heron House locations in Key West. This review is about the location on Simonton. We stayed in room 9 - a lovely, second floor room with a balcony overlooking Simonton. The room was spacious, with a king sized bed, a sofa, television, bar fridge. Gorgeous wood work on floor and the walls - imagine wood mosaic tile.

The balcony had two comfortable chairs to lounge in.

The property itself is stunning. It benefits from a privacy wall surrounding the property. The swimming pool is very inviting. The lounging area has comfortable sofas, newspapers, a waterfall. This is the kind of place that you imagine owning as a house.

The one minor negative: for such a lovely place, the showerhead was the cheapest thing going.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Heron House

Reviewed November 15, 2011

We returned back to the Heron House at the end of September. Everything was the way we remember it. We have been totally satisified with both times we stayed there. It is very quiet, and the surroundings are pleasant and refreshing. A nice place just to relax at the end of a busy day on Duval Street. People forget this place is a bread and breakfast and does not have the staffing a hotel has. At the end of the day, the staff leaves and only the guests remain to enjoy what the Heron House always offers you. The location is a plus. You are only one block away from Duval Street. Were planning our next trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I just returned from our stay at Heron House and I would have to stay that it wasn't what I had hoped for. We always try to stay at B&B type properties and this was on the list for one that we really wanted to try. Our room was adequate, not anything special. It was on the small side and there wasn't anywhere to be able to sit down other then the bed. The bathroom was something that I would never want to experience again. It was so small that only one of us could walk in at the same time. I know we didn't pick the property because of the bathrooom, but the pictures on line were a little deceiving. I would agree with steveblom in that the breakfast could use some improvement. My husband kept commenting on the fact that they could at least afford to buy new toasters because the ones provided didn't work. The property was clean and well maintained and I didn't have any problems with bugs or moldy smells that our reviewers had commented about. As far as location goes, this can't be beat. Heron House is only a block from Duval and about 4 blocks from the all of the places that we love to visit: Pepe's, Conch Republic, BO's, Schooner Wharf, Alonzo's. I would have to say that the location is probably one of the best things about this property. All in all I would give Heron House another try if I could pick a different room. We did ask if one was available but were told that the only thing available was a Honeymoom Suite and that wasn't really in our budget.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Our stay at Heron House was perfect. It is a very beautiful, tropical, peaceful setting, only one block away from Duval St. Very central and within walking distance to many great resturants and attractions. The staff was very friendly and accomodating to all of our needs. If you want a true Key West experience make sure you stay here. Kudos to Heron House and all of the staff. Thank you for a great Key West experience!

1  Thank black3wins
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We recently spent three days at the Heron House and while we enjoyed our room and the property overall, we felt the property missed the mark in a few areas. While the staff kept the property well-tended, we never felt truly welcomed. We generally target small hotels and feel that this establishment did not meet standard levels for customer attentiveness. The other area we felt the hotel fell short was in the breakfast. The property is not inexpensive so to get toast and cantelope for breakfast was a bit disappointing. Making matters worse was the fact that neither of the toasters really worked so we ate half-toasted english muffins. Yuck! However, if you like going out for breakfast, as we eventually did, this is a nice little hotel in a very convenient location.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms seem to be much more private than the rooms opening on the pool.
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I contacted this hotel several times regarding a room and their e-mails were impersonal and unprofessional at best. They told me how to book the specific room I was asking for only later to inform me (after I paid) that that room was no longer available. They didn't even bother a greeting or any type of professional communication with me and refused to cancel my room without charging me when they wouldn't book me in the room I requested. There were ants or some other type of bug crawling around the bathroom and up the walls. The bed was hard with no boxspring just a wooden platform. The rules at this place are very stringent (pool closes at dark, no cell phones etc...) Also, there is no free parking nearby. Key West was great but our experience with this hotel was just plain awful!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan M
Reviewed October 19, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Heron House in Key West for one week this October, and the Heron House exceeded our expectations. The room was very clean and beautifully appointed - loved the wicker furnishings, the extra large closet with a room safe, the bar sink and fridge, the tile floor, comfortable bed, ceiling fan - you get the idea. Plus, our room opened onto a balcony that had individual seating areas for each room on the second floor - a cafe table and two wicker chairs outside each door - a great place to drink your morning coffee and read USA Today (complimentary). The morning breakfast was oriented toward the healthy - hard boiled eggs, pastries, fresh fruit, fruit juice, cereal - and you had the choice of eating by the pool, in a covered terrace or taking your food up to your room. The staff was uniformly helpful and friendly - they didn't fawn over you, but they conducted themselves professionally and with a clear interest in your satisfaction. And the pool and the sundeck made for a beautiful afternoon break from walking all over Old Town. There are only two drawbacks we identified: the airconditioning is provided by window units and is noisy (bring ear plugs) and the parking is tight - to park in front of the Heron House, you'll pay a daily fee. But given the terrific location (easy walking distance to both Duval Street and the Historic Seaport), we'd strongly recommend the Heron Hourse.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms would be on the second floor facing the garden - the rooms facing the pool might...