The Grand Guesthouse
  • Breakfast included
$335
$297
  • Pool
Havana Cabana at Key West(Key West)
$242
$152
Hotels.com
Sunset Key Cottages(Key West)
$923
$849
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewshighly recommend the grandduval streetprivate patioguest housecontinental breakfastyogurtrental bikesoff the beaten pathother guestsold townthe property managerquiet neighborhoodcuban restaurantwithin walking distanceroom was spotlessenglish muffinsevery morning
Reviewed June 29, 2005

We stayed at the Grand the June 24 - June 26 and found it to be a great guesthouse for our needs. I booked a room with 2 queens, and was pleasantly surprised to find our room was actually 2 rooms, with a queen bed in each room. It was very spacious & clean. The decor was typical beachy, and even though the rooms are nestled in foliage, we got a lot of sun coming through the windows. The hosts were very friendly & informative, and when we checked in they mapped out where to go, what tours to take (and not take), restaurants & beaches.

The room had a microwave, sink, mini-fridge and coffee-maker (but curiously no coffee). Breakfast, which was from 8:30-10:30am, was laid out very well every morning with good standard fare: muffins, banana bread, bagels, toast, yogurt, fruit, hard-boiled eggs, o.j., coffee & tea.

The location on Grinnell St. was fine for us, it’s not in the middle of the action, but it’s not off the beaten track either. We could easily walk to restaurants & bars, and felt relatively safe walking home in the wee hours. When we asked about renting bikes, Alan quickly called our request in & our bikes were delivered to the Grand in a half hour. The island is so small, he recommended biking/moped-ing instead of driving.

Only a few minor criticisms: the Grand's pool is extremely small (we thought it was a large Jacuzzi at first glance), but given the property’s space, they did the best they could. As a previous poster noted, the envelope for gratuities was a little off-putting, it felt as if we were required to tip and tip well! The bathroom towels were decent, but the tub's enamel was worn and scratched. Everything else in the room was acceptable & pleasant, and I’d recommend the Grand Guesthouse to anyone visiting Key West.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank Pixie15
A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2005

Just stayed at the Grand last week after picking it based on this site's reviews. As everyone on this site has indicated, the Grand is very clean, the staff are exceptionally nice & helpful & give wonderful recommendations, & the breakfast is simple & good. The drawbacks I would note are that I could hear the people above us walking around (they liked to do so late at night, which was the only reason I noticed); the hotel's written indication in the room that housekeeping tips are customarily 10 to 15% of the hotel bill (maybe I'm cheap, but I've never left a $40 housekeeping tip after two days); & some of the homes in the neighborhood surrounding the Grand are not well kept & the area gave us a bit an uneasy feeling. The Grand is w/i walking distance of the quieter end of Duval St, but be aware that it's about a 1/2 mile walk. Also there were mentions of great linens & towels on here, but I found them average at best. The towels were well used & were KMart's Martha Stewart brand, which is fine, but nothing exceptional.

The only reason I'm posting this review is because I expected a bit more w/regard to the accomodations based on this site's reviews. I rely heavily on this site when planning trips & appreciate the variety of opinions expressed. If rating the Grand solely on the owners, who were very kind, unobtrusive, & helpful, I would give it five stars, but judging it only based on the accomodations and cost I would say it's slightly above average as compared to a 2 star hotel (on a 4 star scale).

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Lunenburg, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 17, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Guest House in Key West. Jim was exceptional with the accommodations and directions. The Grand is centrally located and is an easy walk to most places. Parking is available. Alan's suggestions on where to eat were great and we had such a wonderful time visiting the area.

When we visit Key West again, we will make sure we contact them.

Reviewed May 24, 2005

My husband and I recently stayed at the Grand for 2 nights during our first visit to the Florida Keys and we will most definitely be back. We stayed in room 6 right next to the hot tub and it was great. Very spacious with a kitchenette and even though we did not use the cooking facilities, it was well worth the extra few dollars per night to have more room to spread out in. Breakfast was delicious...coffee, tea, juice, fruit, english muffins, homemade banana nut bread, etc. The towels were large, fluffy and smelled sooo good! (I forgot to ask what they used on them.) The owners certainly know how to pay attention to details. Everything was immaculately clean and very nicely decorated both inside and out. Alan was very knowledgable and helpful. I just can't say enough good things about the Grand. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank laundrygirl
Reviewed May 19, 2005

Stayed for 2 nights in April 2005. Great little place to stay.

Very friendly welcome, was given a 10 minute talk on the best places to eat and visit which was very useful for first time visitors.

Room was very nice, not huge but more than adaquate. Parked right outside the gate which was good.

Location of guesthouse is excellent to, bit out of the main drag so away from all the noise, but easily walkable.

Breakfast was very nice as well, a class above the other breakfasts we experienced whilst in South Florida.

Not the cheapest place, but then again it is Key West so that is to be expected. Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2005