“Perfect for our baby-moon!”

The Grand Guesthouse
Ranked #19 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2009

This was our first trip to Key West, and as novices, we didn't really know what to do or where to eat out. Thanks to the advice of Derek, the day manager, we discovered the best restaurants and the best sights on the island. He spent most of a hour with us when we first arrived, annotating a map and giving us the inside scoop. The rooms were impeccably clean. The bed was very comfy. The included breakfast had enough variety that it kept us interested during our entire 11-night stay. Do spend a bit more for a suite- the regular rooms are small. Overall, the Grand hit the nexus for us between quality and value at this fairly expensive vacation spot. This is where we'll stay for future babymoons or other excursions!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Grand Guesthouse

Reviewed January 19, 2009

Gave us great directions to area hotspots and it was nice that they had bikes.
The breakfast was ample, the location central and the accomodations both comfortable and modern.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Guest House for 4 nights and 5 days. The property was very lush and tropical, with a soothing fountain in the side courtyard. The room was very clean, the bed comfortable (always a plus!), and the towels fluffy (not your usual thin towels). The staff was very helpful in making dinner arrangements (not an easy task over New Years!). They were also helpful in recommending sights to see, locations to visit and helped us arrange a sailing trip. The location was convenient for walking to all the sights....we parked the car upon arrival and didn't move it until it was time to come home. The resident cat made us feel right at home as we have two cats who were back in Virginia. The continental breakfast had variety, with bagels, english muffins, juice, coffee, tea, fruit, cereal, and yogurt....all a great way to start the morning. We will definitely come back!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VirginiaGuys
Reviewed January 12, 2009

The Grand House is a treat in every respect. Attention to detail, cordiality, helpfulness, walkability to Duval St and other attractions, and house design/landscaping are all top drawer! My recent 3day/2night stay in late December was the birthday gift of a special lady who wanted to taste Key West and scuba their style. Fab all round. This was the second trip to the Grand ... the first being in August at the end of a 400 mile motorcycle ride. I was such a believer then that the second trip was a shoe in. I can't overstate my enthusiasm for the place and there will be a definite third trip in the offing somewhere. Derek and the owners were cordial in every respect ... and particularly in finding neat music bars in the area ... try the new KEYS location!

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We decided to spend a week in the Florida Keys without booking ahead, just being spontaneous, working our way from Key Largo to Key West. In Key West we were delighted by our accommodations at the Grand Guest House.

So quiet. At the other places we stayed in the Keys you always heard the traffic on Highway 1. Not at the Grand, where we had a very comfortable room with a private entrance. The courtyard was picturesque, with great places to sit and relax in the tropical splendor of your own little courtyard , either alone, or sharing experiences with the other guests while enjoying the generous continental breakfast.

On our arrival we were welcomed by Derek, who made us feel instantly welcome. He was a willing and gracious host and source of information on Key West, especially good places to eat. From the great Cuban diner just around the corner to what to order at several higher-end places downtown we followed many of his suggestions. We are not easily impressed by restaurants and his advice was spot-on.

We so enjoyed staying at the Grand we stayed an extra day. What a great place.

John and Louise Michels

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2008

After a really bad introduction to Florida, we had a car crash in Miami and the second car broke down.
It was such a pleasant surprise to find we had booked such a great hotel.
We arrived after the office had shut and exactly as promised the key was where it was supposed to be with directions to our room.
The room was superb with a great little balcony out side, which we made great use of.
The next morning we checked in and found every one at the hotel to be really friendly and extremely helpful, especially when it came to recommending restaurants and the best places to visit.
We stayed for 8 nights and would thoroughly recommend anyone to go.
We will certainly be back.
My only regret is that we had to come home.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2008

Wow! My best Key West selection on Trip Advisor yet!! This was our fifth experience on Skull Island, and we cannot wait to travel there again. There is always more to do there and we can never get enough of the local flavor, laid-back atmosphere and balmy weather.

We have previously stayed at another guesthouse in Old Town and then more recently at the Sheraton Suites on South Roosevelt Blvd. This time, we wanted a more intimate experience than we'd had at the Sheraton Suites (but still having privacy with our own bathrooms and room enough to lounge around). I did my research to find the perfect place for our needs...

The Grand Guesthouse certainly was the right choice for us!!
This adorable Key West style guest "suite" is close to all the Old Town bars, beaches and restaurants without the noise and extravagant cost. Our Queen bedroom/efficiency suite was very reasonably priced and spotlessly clean.

SUITE AREA -- When you step up and into the suite, you enter a room with a sofa, table for 2, sink, small fridge, microwave and stove. Utensils and dinner ware are included (not that we cooked!!) for little meals. We kept most of our things in this extra room, with counter space to hold a purse, travel brochures/mags, maps and the like. We used the little table to hold our IPODS, cell phones, camera etc. but other reviewers have sat here to enjoy their morning coffee and breakfast (We preferred to eat outside, as the breakfast table was set up steps away and we had the place pretty much to ourselves during this extra-long weekend BEFORE the Fantasy Fest rush...)

QUEEN BED -- Through the suite you enter a small bedroom, cozy but enough room to navigate around each other getting ready for sleep at night or for the day ahead. The bed and pillows were very comfy. I even enjoyed a bit of a siesta one day (very unusual for me!) after an incredible night before...but that's another story. My husband also enjoyed having a cable tv so he could catch the news and sports highlights. The reception was fine.

BATHROOM -- Very important to us was a clean, private bathroom--not easy to find in bed and breakfasts (without the exhorbitant price) in general. KW is no exception. I understand that some reviewers say that it's not so bad sharing a bathroom, but we didn't want to chance it. I like to keep all my "stuff" in the bathroom and wouldn't want to deal with trekking it from room to shared bath. Not my style. The Grand Guesthouse bathroom was sparkling clean with hot, medium pressured water in the shower. Bathroom towels and beach towels are supplied. If you need anything, ever, just ask. Derek is only a call away and sooo helpful.

OUTSIDE PATIO -- So romantic, too, is a moonlit night with the fragrant flowers and greenery encasing you and your loved one in a gently swaying, ever-so-relaxing hammock. This is one tiny part of Grand Guesthouse's charm. I felt like we were at home, just the two of us--but without the housecleaning, cooking and "same-old, same-old."

Breakfast has already been reviewed by others...for us it was more than enough selection with me being more of the english muffin, fruit and water kind of gal and my husband the 2-3 cups of coffee and cinnamon roll guy.

THE BEST PART -- From the time we arrived, my husband and I had personalized attention from Derek, the property manager (and all-around great guy!). He welcomed us like family and treated us so well, responding to our interests and style. Every recommendation he gave us turned out to be a highlight of our trip (and we thought we already knew everything about KW). From the restaurants to nightlife to sunset sails to must-see attractions.

ACTIVITIES -- We especially loved the Danger Charter Champagne sunset sail (maybe save for your next-to-last evening), the Ghost Tour (the one from La Concha) and the exquisite, Edenesque Butterfly Conservatory. Nightlife was incredibly fun too, but we'll leave that part up to your individual taste.

THE NOT-SO-BAD PART -- Since the Grand is about five blocks away from the beaches and Duval, we were so happy we rented bikes (right on property). When I booked the Grand Guesthouse, I thought not having the proximity of "everything fun" may be a drawback... but, boy was I wrong. I felt like a kid again (which I definitely am not!) riding around all the local streets and along the beaches on the bike routes. We left behind so many of our daily cares with every pedal of our bikes. I had worried that my early-onset arthritis may interfere with this simple joy. But, the bikes are easy to steer, have comfy seats and all of KW is FLAT..so it's very easy to coast. Not too tiring, but exhilarating with the tropical breeze caressing your face (okay... and a bit of perspiration--but bearable compared to walking all that distance). My husband and I even got a kick out of riding home in the dark, too, after an evening out. I cannot remember the last time we have felt so silly and carefree. (Oh, and I managed to wear a dress out one evening, despite the bike. Just looped part of the skirt with a hairband. So bikes and casual dresses can mix!!)

WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE!! After arriving home from our blissful vacation, I was thrilled to receive a follow-up email from Derek, thanking us for choosing the Grand. What wonderful customer service. If you are looking for all the amenities, spa treatments, on-site swimming pool and entertainment, this isn't the place for you. BUT....

IF you want to stay at a homey, clean establishment, feel like a valued guest, with attention to personalize your vacation (Derek can recommend the best salons and spas, too), learn about Key West from a "local's" view, explore the island on bicycles, and have money left in your pocket to afford some fancy dinners and extra-special excursions or attractions, THEN this is most definitely the place for you.

(I admit I was reluctant to write about the Grand Guesthouse in such glowing terms, as I believe it's kind of a hidden gem....but that wouldn't be fair to my fellow Trip Advisor friends....like the ones who suggested I give this small establishment a chance. It also wouldn't be fair to the owners, Jeff and Jim and their hard-working staff.)

SO....we HIGHLY recommend the Grand Guesthouse and look forward to visiting for many wonderful vacations to come. I will look no further for our "place" in the Keys.

I hope this review was helpful to you.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple