The Grand Guesthouse
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Almond Tree Inn(Key West)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bhighly recommend the grandduval streetprivate patioguest housecontinental breakfastyogurtrental bikesoff the beaten pathother guestsold townthe property managerquiet neighborhoodcuban restaurantwithin walking distanceroom was spotlessenglish muffins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have stayed at the Grand a couple of times now and it will always be my first choice when visiting Key West. As others have stated, the Grand is off the beaten path, but still in Old Town and in acceptable walking distance to Duval Street. The area is mostly residential, so you can get a good night’s sleep, unlike most places closer to or on Duval. Derrick and the owners remembered me when I walked in the door even though it had been a couple of years since I stayed there. They always make you feel like you are their most important guest. The rooms are very clean and nicely furnished and decorated. The beds are comfortable, so getting a good rest is easy! A continental breakfast is served every morning and has plenty of muffins, bagels, yogurt, and some fresh fruit. Cold juices and good, hot coffee are there to help get your blood flowing too! I think the rates are very reasonable for Key West, and the service just can’t be beat! I can’t wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TallyTom
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I absolutely LOVE this place and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Key West. It just a mile from all the action on Duval so we did all our travel on bicycle. We came from Orlando so we brought our own bicycles but if you can't bring your own, they have very nice bicycles available to rent. We stood in room 4 and it was perfect for our long weekend in the Keys. Comfortable Bed, mini frig,clean bathroom and clean good quality linens. Oh and did I mention you own private entrance. The continental breakfast is goodand if you are a coffee snob like I am, you will approve of there coffee (maybe not important to most but a big deal for me and my husband).I give them the highest rating and will not stay anywhere else when I go back. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We booked this hotel using the extensive TA reviews which have been done. My wife and I snuck down to Key West as a last minute trip before school starts next week.

First the good things....

It is centrally located in Old Key West. We walked everywhere we went during the three days we were there. We went to Duval Street, Truman Little White House, Sunset Pier and Higgs Beach.

Derek is a very nice and extremely charming host. When you check in he does NOT just take your money, give you a key and say, "See ya later." Derek takes about 25-30 minutes to get to know you and what you want to do while you are in town. He suggested several things to see, places to eat and other things to do.

The room was not as advertised. On the confirmation we were told it was a 9x9 room with a bathroom. It was in fact about 12x9 and the Bathroom was very nice, with shower and everything. The bed was very comfortable and we were in room 4.

Now, here is the proviso --- According to Google Maps, it is 1.6 miles to the Sunset Pier or about a 45 minute walk for us. It is 1.6 miles to Fort Zachary Taylor Beach AND they charge 2.50 I think it was for walkers to go in. We did not pay.

So, we ended up walking about six miles a day while we were there as we would go down in the morning and back in the afternoon for a nap then back down at night.

The Guest House does keep bicycles for rent and there are numrous bike and scooter rentals. Parking is at a premium in Key West with places charging as much as 15-20 dollars for the day and scooter rentals for about 35 a day.

Also, this is a Guest House, not a Bed and Breakfast, please do not confuse them. The breakfast is very continental with a variety of pastries from the local store. Bagles, small packaged muffins, and so on. There were also some bananas and oranges and yogurt again from the local store. That was all. To be fair, as we wondered around we did look at the local B&B's and a couple were basically offering the same for breakfast.

The other thing is breakfast is not served until 8:30 in the morning, a little late for those of us who like to be up and out early. For those of us trying to cut back on processed sugar, yogurt with 38 grams or over an ounce of sugar is not going to cut it. My wife could not eat any of the breakfast as nothing on the table was fresh, it all came out of a box. We paid 138 dollars a nite for the room and when people pay that much, it would be nice if your muffin came warm from a local bakery or maybe cut up a melon or two.

One morning we did not get out until almost 11 and by then it was HOT.

The coffee was excellent and you do have access to an ice machine.

Overall, we liked our stay, but the blisters on my feet tell me we will be looking for a place closer to Duval next time with a breakfast we can eat.

Room Tip: Let Derek know what you want to do and he will assist you any way he can.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravellingAZTeacher
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Guesthouse in June 2013, parked right in front of the B&B, parking is first come first serve so this worked out great. We were greeted by Derek who offered us a drink after our long drive down. He provided us with a map and answered all of our questions and gave us all the local insight to the best local restaurants and places to go and see. Fast walk to Duval street and we enjoyed the sunsets at Mallory Square and the local festivities.We rented bikes and pretty much hit the entire island. Hoggs Beach is just a short walk or bike ride away from the B&B, nice local beach and had a chance to watch all the roosters and chickens walking around.

We felt like we were the only guests even though they were fully booked. The only time we saw other guests was at breakfast time in the courtyard. If you are looking for a lot of action this may not be the place for you. We wanted a quiet place to stay, not a super fancy overpriced hotel with tons of people. This Grand Guesthouse offered a local flavor and laid back atmosphere which is exactly what we wanted. The continential breakfast was spot on, just enough for us and we were full and ready for the day.

We booked the queen suite down stairs and it was very clean, nice size bathroom and more than enough room for both of us. The room had everything we needed, microwave, frig and plates and utencils etc. Ice machne was right near our room, never can get too much ice. They offer a great value and it had everything that we needed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Florida941
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I enjoy reading the very few neg reviews of this place. They are comedic at best with very little value. If you were born into royalty and bathe in 24k gold extract on a daily basis than this place might not be for you...possibly. Actually 90 percent of the b&b's in the world let alone KW may not suffice. After staying here recently I am glad to share our experience. Rooms were clean ac was perfect and kitchen was a nice bonus. We enjoyed eating our leftovers in one night. The breakfast was perfect. If you want a farm fresh breakfast with omelettes grits French toast pancakes than just go to a restaurant around the corner. For us tho this continental breakfast was perfect start to the day. Derek is knowledgeable about the area and made good food suggestions and hooked us up with beach chairs and an umbrella for the beach so we didn't have to rent. The chairs were a little crappy to be honest but I enjoyed not paying 20+ bucks for rentals. We alwys got a parking spot in the driveway which was nice. Bottom line me and my wife really liked this place, felt right at home. Was a 10 min walk to duval so good location also. If you stay here and post a neg review than you probably should have just paid twice as much and stayed elsewhere. This place was a fair price and you got much more than your money worth.

• Stayed: July 2013