“Honeymoon Hideaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Center Court - Historic Inn and Cottages
Ranked #68 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 7, 2006

My wife and I had an overall pleasant stay at Center Court's Honeymoon Hideaway.

Pros:
The location can't be beat, it's around the corner from Duval street and about a 15 minute walk to Mallory square.

Comfortable bed and small kitchenette.

The room was clean and housekeeping did a fine job.

A nice size private deck (actually bigger then the room) with lounge chairs, wicker furniture, gas barbecue and a jacuzzi.

Cons:
The pool was chilly though they said it was heated.

The bathroom is tiny with only a bifold door.

Breakfast (served across the street) was below average and consisted of frozen bagels and frozen raisin bread (they did have a toaster though) along with generic brand cereals.

You need to use the air conditioner to filter out the morning sounds of KW unless you like to be awoken very early by the roosters.

In closing, I would without hesitation recommend the Honeymoon Hideaway for a romantic stay in KW.

• Stayed: February 2006
9  Thank donkeyhodey

Reviewed April 4, 2006

I recently stayed at Center Court for three nights in the "Truman Efficiency." I was a bit skeptical before I arrived because of the mixed reviews on tripadvisor.com. Also, the Center Court website didn't really give a great sense of how lovely this place actually is.

When we arrived, we checked in at the office and were told where everything is and given our keys. We made our way over to our accommodation and were pleasantly surprised by how quaint, clean and spacious it was. Everything looked either new or freshly painted. The kitchen was well equipped and spotless - as was the bathroom.

We had a great little deck where the sun shown strong in the mornings. The efficiency was tucked in the back of a small complex and you would never know that you were merely steps from the rowdy Duval Street bars. An excellent location...

We took advantage of the shared Jacuzzi area - flowering with tropical plants and trees, caged birds singing their hearts out and sunshine all day long.

I only wish our trip had been longer so that we could enjoy the other amenities that Center Court offers. I thought it very appropriate to have both an Adult Pool and a Family Pool. I was afraid that "adult" meant clothing optional - but they have a very discreet 2nd story European sundeck for that option.

Overall - I have nothing bad to say about our stay. We took Key West by storm and were grateful for a very comfy, quiet, close-by bed when it was time to turn-in in the wee hours...!

Having considered paying the same price for a 2 star hotel all the way across the island, we were very happy with our choice and would recommend it highly to anyone venturing to Key West.

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank lambaby
Reviewed February 4, 2006

My wife and I, and two friends, stayed at the Paradise Suite 12/27/05 - 1/3/06. This is the third time we've come to Key West in the last 6 years, but the first time at Center Court. We found the stay to be a "mixed bag"...:

Location
The cottages are located 1/2 block off Duval, about .5 miles from Duval Beach Club (a free Atlantic Ocean beach), and about .75 miles from Mallory Square and the Lower Duval bar scene. It's a great location for anyone who wishes to be within walking distance of all the Key West attractions. Definite "5" rating for the location.

Accommodations
The suite was in very good shape; all furnishings appeared to be relatively new. It was just as pictured online at the Center Court website. However, the dishwasher was broken before we checked in, and was never fixed during our stay (more on that in a bit). The only criticism is that the suite was a bit small for four, and had very little closet space. I can't imagine fitting six in it!

The suites open into a beautiful courtyard, with nice shady areas, a couple propane grills and a large hot tub. Some other cottages open onto courtyards with pools in them, but all common areas were well-kept. Unfortunately, the hot tub was too hot to enter (I've had a hot tub, and this one was 106+ degrees in my estimation), and one pool's heater was broken (the water was too cold to enjoy). Overall, I'd rate the accommodations a "4".

Unfortunately, Center Court's failing was in their service. Before visiting I thought one of the earlier reviews calling the staff "rude" was over-the-top, but it turns out that person was pretty accurate. As mentioned above, our dishwasher was broken at the time of check-in. We were unable to get an update for three days on when it might be fixed, and were finally told halfway through our stay that it wouldn't be fixed at all. Instead, we were told we must wash our own dishes.

The dishwasher itself wasn't a big deal - we only cooked in once and had coffee each morning. However, I might have expected at least an apology (or even just a timeline) regarding the incident. Instead, the staff acted as though they couldn't understand why I'd trouble them with a minor detail. They never bothered to apologize - or even ask whether we enjoyed our stay. Perhaps my expectations are too high, but in my opinion $350/nt should buy you a modicum of respect and just a little bit of effort. Didn't happen. I rate the service a "1".

(One other note: there is a complimentary happy hour mentioned, but it's just a styrofoam cooler full of Bud Select, Michelob Ultra and a cheap bottle of wine. Not much of a spread...)

If you don't encounter any problems during your stay, you'll likely enjoy it. However, if you need the staff to fix anything you'll be out of luck. I'd hesitate to go back - if there was a major problem of any sort I doubt the staff would waste a minute trying to resolve it. In addition, I'd rather give my money to an inn that's willing to be personable and service-oriented.

• Stayed: December 2005
11  Thank PSUVirginia
keywestlady, Owner at Center Court - Historic Inn and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2010

Unfortunately, this guest stayed over the Christmas/New Year's holidays when it was impossible to obtain service personal to fix the dishwasher (yes, even Key Wester's go away for the holidays!). This was explained to the guest several times...we did not know when appliance repair was going to come as they were not responding to voice mails. Yes, it seems that things always break at the most inopportune times!

Reviewed November 14, 2005

much smaller than the photo's. no closet. there is a notice in the room that tells you to clean up after yourself or you will be charged.

• Stayed: September 2005
10  Thank maggie k

Sorry, am not sure which unit you stayed in but in our units with kitchens we do ask that you do your dishes and clean out the coffee filter basket before leaving. We do not ask guests to clean their units.

A TripAdvisor Member
Naples
Reviewed June 21, 2005

If you turn in your keys one minute after 11:00 they will charge your credit card w/o signature for a half day. They charged my mom $270 dollars for being 40 minutes late, on her b-day. The worst part about it is that my husband swiped his card upon arrival for the remainder due, at this time you sign something that say charges may be incurred if you check out past 11 or lose keys, but no $$$$ is given, nothing verbal is communicated. The charge should of been on his, but if we disputed the one charge it would have all been disputed. If you are spening $400 a night, you should be given a little repect and courtesy......The owner would not even talk to me and they tried to orginally charge us the fall rate instead of summer.......Absoluletly ridiculously. Recommend Key West Hideaway instead......same deal but peolpe that do not rip you off and ruin your vacation.

Not to mention if the power goes out, which it did for 5 hours, they have no generator, no lights upstairs, and no way to open windows without bugs coming in the house, and no compensation.....Our pool had so much cholorine you could not swim, there were beer bottles in the bushes, and the garbage had not been taken to the curb for pickup when scheduled.

Stayed: June 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2005

We stayed in the Abacco Suite, it was very clean and in a very pretty location. The suite offered great privacy and a relaxing atmosphere.
You have all the conviences at your disposal and can walk to Duval Street easily. We rented a scooter and I would highly recommend doing this. Much fun. THe best Restaurants were at the very end of Duval near Mallory Square but on the right. (they are on the dock where the boats are docked)
Also there is a great restaurant on Duval Street to the left, a French restaurant. Good prices and Great food.
If you stay in any of the Suites in the Abacco section you won't be disappointed. Have fun.

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank dmt78
Reviewed May 29, 2005

Just returned from a trip to KW with some friends and we stayed at Casa Louisa, which we rented through Center Court. Everything was perfect. From check-in to check-out not one thing went wrong. This is a perfect place for friends or couples. It was wonderful to wake up and take a dip in our private pool after a wonderful night's sleep in comfy beds. Anything you need is within walking distance (restaurants, liquor store, drug store...)and you are about 10 blocks from the party spots on Duval Street. So the bars are easy to get to but far enough away from the noise. I cannot wait to return to Key West and especially Casa Louisa!

• Stayed: May 2005