“Not really worth the effort”
Review of Higgs Beach

and up
Key West Hop-on Hop-off Narrated Trolley Tour
Ranked #46 of 180 things to do in Key West
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This "beach" was not very well kept and seems like it may be reclaimed from some former industrial site. There is a pier, but the beach proper is very rocky, hard to get out to the water. We had heard you may be able to snorkel here, but that was not the case. The water is way too murky, full of seaweed, and was very choppy (at the time we went). We have been to Fort Zachary State Park and this is a much better setting.

1  Thank Leonard A

Reviewed April 11, 2014

I am an optimist. Yesterday I read through reviews about this beach, noting that the majority were positive. My son REALLY wanted to snorkel, and along the old pier sounded promising. I realize that weather affects clarity of water, but today was nice and just a little breezy. The water was so murky we couldn't see three inches in front of our faces, much less any fish. A local man said, "you might want to get your family out of this water; it isn't clean. There's a broken sewer pipe and it is leaking sewage." When I asked why there were not advisories posted, he said that of course THAT would affect tourism. We only stayed for an hour. Bathrooms really filthy, piece of glass in sand near where we had put our towels. I am so shocked that with such a beautiful marina area, that the city of Key West does not invest more in its small beach areas. The one at Fort Taylor was rough and rocky, but at least the shaded areas weren't Sketchy!!!

1  Thank meilner
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We went to all the beaches. This was the best. You can walk on the beach and get in water without shoes.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Higgs Beach is a regular stop when we visit Key West. The beach is not expansive, but it is a very clean beach, and the water is the perfect color and temperature to encourage beachgoers to take a plunge. It is so refreshing and a high point of each visit.

1  Thank Harold B
Reviewed March 29, 2014

With the calm and clear blue water along with white sand.. this looked very exotic to me.... and pretty affordable too.. like renting the snorkeling gear ( the clear warm water is real temptation) and even the beach chairs and umbrellas..I didn't quite expect that... Miami south beach should learn something from them..
Since most of the Key West beaches are privatized or not easily accessible by public (such a shame), we were glad to find a decent spot out here.

1  Thank Ambience B