“Do your homework before boarding”
Review of Conch Tour Train

Key West Day Trip
Ranked #42 of 283 Tours in Key West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: See the best of Key West on the tour that has been entertaining visitors since 1958. Our expert 'engineers' and friendly staff have delighted guests with the legends and tales of Ernest Hemingway, and Tennessee Williams and the stories of the pirates, Indians, wreckers and artists who called this island home. 90 minutes and over 100 points of interest. No Key West vacation is complete without the world famous Conch Tour Train.
Pine Island, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Do your homework before boarding”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I'm a Florida long-time resident and have visited Key West since the 1970s, long before they cleaned it up and made it a tourist mecca, arriving by car (often) as well as by cruiseline and this time by high speed ferry from Fort Myers Beach. This trip my wife and I were accompanied by a friend from "up North", and as we had only the best part of a day decided we'd finally try to do a so-called "hop on hop off" tour of Key West via the ubiquitous trams owned by this company. We'd originally signed up for the Trolley tour run by this company but after seeing several of them crammed to the gills on a very hot day decided to try to exchange our tickets for the Train, which was far less crowded. After 3 visits to their various centers, a complete runaround and some of the worst attitudes and service I've encountered in years we finally managed to obtain exchange of our tickets.
It was only after the tour began that we learned these hard truths--the tram does NOT allow you to hop on and hop off except at one of four locations, three of which are within a few blocks of each other, and the fourth of which is some blocks from the sites most tourists visit. We breezed past Hemingway's house twice, up and down the main residential streets without stopping or even slowing enough to appreciate the driver's droning comments, zipped past the southernmost point marker, tore past the cemetary, chugged past Sloppy Joe's and the bars and restaurants on Duval St. and were dumped back at the gift shop run by the company.
The tour was dreadful and much more a train wreck than a train ride, though at least the breeze was worthwhile. It is suitable for kids, those who have difficulty walking and those off cruise ships with just a few hours to spare. Apart from that I would suggest Key West is best appreciated on foot, by bicycle or by one of the rental electric cars found everywhere. If you are looking for a true tour with some stops along the way the Trolley makes many more stops, I'm told, but after my experience I doubt we'll make the attempt to find out.

1 Thank gomersdaddy
ConchTourTrain, General Manager at Conch Tour Train, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to write in your comments about the Conch Tour Train. It was very upsetting to hear what a poor experience you had on the tour, and I want to assure you that we stand behind our 100% money back guarantee. Please visit the customer service page of our website to arrange a complete refund.

While it's disappointing to hear that your tour did live up to your expectations (nor up to our company standards) I very much appreciate you letting me know if your experience. It's only when we hear from our guests that we can improve what we're doing.

Thank you again for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the poor service you received.

Best,

Linda Test
General Manger

• Turkish first
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very Informative and entertaining”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We enjoyed the Conch Tour Train ride. Our first guide was good but when we changed trains, the second guide was even better. He was more enthusiastic and detailed in his descriptions and interaction with the customers. I have been on the train before, but it was over 20 years ago so I don't remember much. It was my husband's first time on the train and he enjoyed it as well. We recommended it to our friends there visiting Key West too.

Visited January 2013
Port Orange, Florida
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Explore Key West at the right price!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My fiance and I had a few hours to spend in Key West as part of our cruise destination. We opted to take an open air train ride through the area. Much to my surprise, Key West had more to offer than I ever imagined.

We had a pre-conceived idea that Key West was just a party town, but I was WRONG! This train ride had the best driver "Bruce" who knew the history of some of the richest places and beautiful houses and rare species of trees and flowers! It was simply unbelievable! The history tied to this little heaven on earth was enticing enough to make us want to come back when we can stay longer to enjoy some of the fantastic sites like the President's House, Home of Ernest Hemingway and Tennessee Williams, the southernmost house and tip of Florida and Mile Marker 0.... and don't forget to ask why the roosters are protected by law to run wild!

This train ride is a MUST regardless of how much time you spend in Key West... it's well worth the time and price!

2 Thank slk1692
Purcellville
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Prepare to learn and appreciate...”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I don't care how many times you've been to Key West, if you haven't taken the time to do the Conch Train Tour, you'll be missing a lot of extremely interesting, tragic, and colorful history of the one-of-a-kind treasure. I did my first tour probably 20 years ago, but recently talked some dear friends into joining me on an all-to-chilly Monday afternoon to share this experience. Our guide, Captain Glenn, was extremely knowledgeable, really cared about the information he shared, and helped us all gain a much better appreciation of the rich tapestry of events that has shaped and moulded this city. I highly recommend this to all who visit here.

1 Thank cfischer41
The Netherlands
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Why not be a tourist and do the Conch Tour Train?”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Ofcourse, the Conch Tour Train is VERY touristy, but hey, you're in Key West, so go for it! It is a nice and relaxing way to get to now Old & New Key West and the guides provide ample information about almost everything. The train runs a small - connector kind of - loop and a large loop. The large loop goes through New Key West and passes the large public beach etc. There are a couple of stops to get on/of the train (Mallory Square etc.). Do take this train, so you won't miss the highlights of wonderful Key West!

Visited January 2013