“Outdated and overpriced, but fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Key West Aquarium

and up
Key West Aquarium
Ranked #39 of 168 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: Meet the undersea residents of Key West at the island’s first attraction. With over a 100 species of fish, turtles, sharks and birds, the Aquarium features a Touch Tank where you can pick up amazing animals. The Atlantic Shores exhibit is a near the shore mangrove environment found in the Florida Keys. See stingrays, sharks, eels, lobster, tarpon, seahorses and colorful tropical fish. Feedings and tours take place at 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 4:30pm every day.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Boston, Massachusetts
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 327 helpful votes
“Outdated and overpriced, but fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2007

The aquarium was one of the first attractions in Key West, built in the early 1930's. At that time it was the largest open-air aquarium in the world, consisting of about three large tanks. Since then they have been enclosed indoors, and around the perimeter more tanks have been added. Outside was built an exhibit sharing water with the ocean, and a mangrove habitat.

My grandfather and I visited in late March while killing time before the sunset at Mallory Square. There was no line at the ticket counter, so we quickly got our tickets (costing ten dollars apiece and good for two days). Our first impression was the lack of people around, only about fifteen or so. Even though the aquarium is a small facility, we still felt like we had it to ourselves. We walked through the three areas in about thirty minutes, and we took the time at each window. The quality to me was maybe a couple steps better than a pet store. My favorite exhibit was the touch tank in the front, where I got hands-on with sea cucumbers as well as hermit and horseshoe crabs.

My overall impression is that it was a little outdated compared to the majority of aquariums today, and that the value wasn’t great (maybe about half as good as others I have visited). Still, one will find not-so-good value in most attractions in Key West. I feel that my rating of four stars was a little generous, but still gave it because I think that the attraction, on the whole, is well meaning and worthwhile.

9 Thank 7_14_142014

Iowa
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Interesting for a short visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2007

Our family of 4 (kids aged 5 and 1.5) visited this on a shore day from a cruise. I love zoos/aquariums but this was pretty small, not terribly impressive. We elected to not stick around for the feeding, but did walk around and see the turtles, stingrays, and nurse sharks in the water.

The kids liked touching the starfish and the other sealife in the petting tank. But otherwise, it’s a place you definitely want to HOLD on tightly to your child. The pools are big and deep, and there is only a rocky ledge 1 foot high and a sign that says No hands - we bite to keep inquisitive kids out. Yikes! Highlight of this place: no children fell in the water, and we left with all our fingers intact.

4 Thank ldeninge
Greenville, South Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Very cool place! Pleasantly surprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2007

On a few hour excursion to Key West via a cruise, we were walking around the area and decided to try the aquarium. It was great! It was very small, but they manage to pack in tons of really interesting fish. There were even some little seahorses which were the coolest. They had small nurse (I think?) sharks and there was a presentation of them where at the end the worked picked one up and you could touch it.

If you like this kind of thing, seeing aquariums and new and interesting wildlife, you will like this place. If you don't really care about aquariums you will be disappointed. However I highly recommend it.

3 Thank GoneTil9
Yonkers,NY
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Something to see”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2006

Honestly, we were killing time the day we went and it was an interesting visit. The tour guide was knowledgable and gave us an insite on the fish and waters surrounding Key West.

3 Thank Taz1260
Machesney Park, IL
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Wonderful morning for our kids (and the adults)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2006

Kids had a blast playing in the touch tank and petting one of the sharks during the feeding time. Cool place to spend an hour or two.

3 Thank markwojo