“SCUBA Charter Jan 12”
Review of Dive Key West

Dive Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: Celebrating our 43rd year of providing memorable dive vacations. We offer daily reef trips to the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and the wrecks off of Key West including the Vandenberg. Dive Key West, Inc is a full service dive facility. Our divers will also have full guest privileges at Key West Harbour where we keep our boats. You may enjoy the restaurant, bar, gym, sauna, pool and private beach.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

awesome.

Very professional, great shop. I recommend Bob's team to anyone interested in classes or a very well run charter.

Mike Skinner

in 5 reviews
"the reefs"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed January 7, 2014

From the outset, I have to say that we had a great day with Dive Key West. These guys are highly qualified and the boat crew is fantastic. I could stop here, and I believe that it would accurately describe my actual dive experience. But as a service to the operators and their customers I would add the following:

When I first called and spoke with Eric, he was fantastic in describing what I could expect on the dives. I explained that me and my husband were both dive instructors and he clearly articulated that even so there would be a requirement to demonstrate our last 10 open water dives. That was no issue, and an interesting take on safety which I appreciated. Eric also explained to me that since I was coming in on a cruise ship that I would not be refunded if I was a no-sho and that it was a common problem with cruise passengers. I thanked him for the heads-up and told him that I would speak to my cruise company about my expected time to be able to get off the ship.

I called my cruise company and they confirmed that my class of service insured that I would be off the boat at 7AM and that a cab queue was right by the dock which would put me at the dive shop at around 7:20 (for an 8:00AM check-in).

This is where Dive Key West didn't make 5-stars. I called them back to make my reservation the next day. Eric was not available and spoke with Bob. I explained the summary of my conversation with Eric and told him that with a high level of confidence that we would be able to make the schedule. At this point, Bob all but tried to talk me out of diving with them (this was the impression that I was receiving). I made it clear that I understood the risk associated with not making the roll-call and accepted the risk. I had to do this several times before he finally took my information down. I appreciated the caution on a non-refundable transaction, but it more felt like they just didn't want to do business with me. But we got over it.

End of the story, I showed up at 7:12AM we sat on their picnic tables for 40 minutes until someone actually arrived to open the store. Though we were sitting there, 5 employees showed up before the 6th actually acknowledged our presence.

I was pretty turned off.

However, the captain and the Divemaster Candidate really turned things around for us. We had a long boat ride out to the dive site and they were all very happy to be there and to be diving. Which is what we were there for. All was good!

End of the day, this dive operation is safety focused and they execute on that very effectively. But they do seem to make it hard to do business with. Though I think, based on several comments, that there may be some disdain in regards to cruise ships in Key West...but that's purely conjecture.

5  Thank Stewart S
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Went in to Dive Key West two days ago to inquire about local dive sites and charters. Maybe this guy was having a bad day. That being said not interested in the fact that we were standing there and then when we asked he replied all booked up. That was basically the end of the conversation. Really not used to this type of treatment from the dive community. Gave this place a 1 because the shop appeared clean and will equipped. That being said would not recommend this place with other shops eager and willing to help.

11  Thank Andy L
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We did deep dive certification with them and had a great time. Dove the Vandenberg a couple of times and other wrecks. The dive instructor was very knowledgeable and friendly.

3  Thank bfree271