“My first time camping.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Boyd's Key West Campground
Miami Beach, Florida, United States
“My first time camping.”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Making short and simple. First time camping did not know what I was going to be running into. The staff was amazing, the camp ground was nice and clean, and a wonderful view. Things I did not like that you had to turn off your music by 11 pm could not make no noise which is understandable. They do not accept big dogs, and really not much to do. If you are trying to stay away from the city for a 4 days or a week and tired of the the city, they should have more to do at the camp ground. If you are tenting you are out of luck no shades no running water they say in there web site free wifi not true only in the office area they should have all over the camp grounds. The only thing that I loved is the view and the staff that were nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Josie P
BoydsKW, Owner at Boyd's Key West Campground, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Josie, Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us. We're pleased you were happy with our staff, the cleanliness of our campground and our beautiful view. Our free Wi-Fi does cover the entire park, but we will check to ensure one of the transmitters was not having an issue. Thank you for letting us know.
We do have quiet hours at the campground from 11 p.m. - 7 a.m. to ensure the camping enjoyment of all our guests. For those looking for nightlife fun, world famous Duval Street is only minutes away.
We are a pet friendly campground and do not have size limitations on pets but we are required to have some breed restrictions due to insurance purposes.
The campground has a variety of different sites available for tenting. Some sites are primitive and others have water and electric. Many, many of our tent sites are shaded.
Again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to having you back as our guest sometime in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Thai first
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Camped here with my husband for a week during the "cool" part of the year in March. Have so say it was one of our best trips to date! Not a ton of amenities for the price (especially for a tent site) but we did not care because we were just short of a 10 minute bike ride into the heart of Key West which is why you would stay at this campground in the first place. It was very windy the week we were there, which made for a tough time to keep the tent down...but again we were on vacation and laid back so not many things disappoint us. Bathrooms were clean as were showers. Our site had a grill, picnic table was waterfront to the most gorgeous sunrise every morning. Can't beat the price for the location you are getting. I would go back (although of course I would not be camping in the dead of summer in KW).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BoydsKW, Owner at Boyd's Key West Campground, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Homestead, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Let me start this review off by saying a few things: I am a relatively simple camper. For years I tent camped with minimal creature comforts and just recently moved up to a small pop up with a few amenities (A/C & refrigerator most importantly). Also, I consider myself a friendly and neighborly camper. With that being said, the small sites that many others have commented about really do not bother me, after all, this is the Keys and some of Florida's most prime real estate. However, for a private campground that charges a premium rate, Boyd's left a lot to be desired. We camped 4th of July weekend, and when we checked in we were told about a holiday “surcharge” of $10 a night. No big deal, but it would have been nice if it was mentioned at some point when the reservation was made. Secondly, I would conservatively say the campground was 50% unoccupied. Hard to justify charging campers more when the place is half empty. For the grounds and the bathhouses, I would expect any private campground to at least maintain the standards set by a chain like KOA. Boyd's did a worse job of keeping the bathhouses clean and the trashcans emptied than the Florida state parks do with a workforce derived primarily of volunteers. It is hard to understand why this was so difficult with no crowds, I can only imagine how far behind they get when the place is jammed during season. Lastly, our “waterfront site” was 2/3 obstructed by mangroves and the little shoreline we had was littered with debris. I know most shoreline debris in the Florida Keys originate from disrespectful boaters and work their way to land; however, I have awakened many mornings in a state parks to see staff cleaning the beaches, why can't a private park charging close to a $100 a night do the same? Boyd's almost has a monopoly as the next closest campground to Key West is the Sugarloaf KOA at mile marker 20, maybe it is worth the drive. Perhaps the most disappointing thing about Boyd's is I see no response to any of the negative reviews on TripAdivsor and subsequently no attention to the complaints. They jam the during the season and likely don't care if they lose the few unhappy campers. The one positive note is the staff were friendly and helpful, but this was certainly not enough to make up for the rest of my concerns.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SamanthaDAngelo
Key west
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have travelled over 5,000 miles across the USA. And boyd's is the worst we have seen. The toilet blocks are discussing. On complaining of the state of the toilet blocks. The staff did nothing.
There is no laundry trough to was your smalls. The price was three times of most other park we have been in. The staff is arrogant. And unhelpful. This park is a no go zone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Nola N
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stopped in Boyds on the 27th of May to check out the campground. We had a choice of many beautiful locations. We chose one off the water for more privacy. The staff was wonderful and helpful with all of our needs. The pool,gameroom,bathrooms and grounds are all clean and very well kept. Our original plans were go stay two nights but found it hard to leave. We pulled out after five nights. We will definitely go back to Boyds the next time we visit the Keys. We stayed in a motorhome.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank oarhouse
Plantation, Florida
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My son and I spent Memorial day weekend at Boyd's and since this was a first for the both of us, we were pleasantly surprised. The facility is very clean, the staff are all very nice and friendly and we met really nice people. Our neighbors went out of their way to help us set up our tent and were just as sweet as they could be. The facility has a shop with everything we needed and there are clean bathrooms and showers. The drive down from Fort Lauderdale was brutal however, it was well worth it. We will absolutely go again. My son loved it and can't stop talking about it. I have told all of my friends to spend their vacation there. They will see us again and again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kjandmom
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

At $67.50 inc tax, this was the most expensive campground I've ever stayed in. (Tent site without water/electric) That being said, the services that the campground had and the setting made up for some of that cost. Our campsite faced the water, and there were so few campers/tents that we had a direct view of the beautiful scenery. The campground is about 5 miles from the action in Key West, so we rode our bikes into town both days that we were there. Not too bad of a ride and biking is so common there it was very safe. We took advantage of the pool one day, which was nice. Everything was really tidy and there was always someone making the rounds on a golf cart, which made me feel safe. The showers were nice and clean and the bathrooms were also. Would I stay there again? Yes. Do I think they're taking advantage of key west pricing for a 10x10 tent site? Yes. But it's better than $250 at the Best Western.

• Stayed May 2013