“Fun Dive - But short and limiting” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Snuba of Key West

Snuba of Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: Go Beyond Snorkeling. Snuba is your easiest and safest way to enjoy our gorgeous reefs which are filled with colorful fish and breathtaking coral formations from under water like a scuba diver. No prior snorkeling experience is needed. People 8 years or older who can swim are qualified. Once aboard our comfortable power catamaran your friendly certified guide will teach you everything you will need to know and then stay with you throughout your dive.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Denver, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun Dive - But short and limiting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband I have enjoyed SCUBA diving in the past and we are both certified - we decided to try the SNUBA while in Key West, just for the fun of it. It was fun, but very limiting. If you have been SCUBA certified, I would suggest that you stick with SCUBA diving. SNUBA is a terrific way for people to decide if they really are interested in seeking certification in SCUBA. What I found while SNUBA diving was that the beginner divers were so distracted with trying to apply what they had learned to dive, often they would tangle themselves up in my air hose - dragging me off my course of diving, this happened several times with another couple that we dived with on our team.
In addition, you are limited only the length of your air hose, which is about 20 feet. They tend to dive in only about 20 feet of water so that works out okay, but you are very limited to the length of the hose, and the distance that the host divers will take you.
It is only about a 30 minute dive, so it is a very short reef dive which doesn't leave much exploring time.
For the novice and inquiring type of diver - I would say it is definitely worth the time and money. But, for those that really want to explore and enjoy the deep sea, stick to you SCUBA diving.

2 Thank sally l

Edison, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Could have been much better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Read previous reviews prior to booking and decided to go ahead and book based upon my wife's interest in trying SNUBA. I am an experienced diver and was going to go with my wife. Had read previous e-mails regarding the scam about the weather forcing us to the alternate reef. Should have left right then, but decided to give it a try. My wife was uncomfortable from the beginning and did not actually dive, but went back to the boat shortly after entering the water. Staff indicated that she would still be charged as a SNUBA participant vs rider. Not happy, but I could understand. Reef was mostly dead, very little fish or reef life as a previous reviewer had mentioned, but there were a tremendous amount of lobsters, so that was at least something. Again, I can understand charging my wife full price, not what i would call a good business practice, but I can understand. What I can not understand is the ridiculous photographer on the boat that went in the water with us. Took multiple pictures that were all staged. Even with that, my wife decided that she wanted a picture of me in the water and I agreed to it. Paid cash plus tip. waited a week for them to send us the picture........and it was the wrong picture. Multiple e-mails back to the photographer and nothing. So now I have a $25 staged picture that I did not want on top of the $200 dollar ridiculous pseudo snorkeling trip. It is what it is, but stay away from the photographs and I would suggest a good reputable snorkeling outfit instead.

3 Thank Rob S
Bainbridge, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Depends on what you expect...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were extremely disappointed with our snuba trip. When we called, we were told that because of the winds we would be staying closer in... Ok, that makes sense. We went to a wall. Had we been told more about where we were going we would have opted out. One of us is dive certified, 3 were not. We all had trouble breathing, ALL of us. Be warned, if you come up too much because you don't feel like you can breathe, you're done. There is no further instruction. You can then snorkel. After talking it over with not just the one who is dive certified, but other divers from the area too, the regulators they use are demand regulators which means you have to suck the air. It makes you feel breathless, like you don't get enough air. For the price, we could have gone on a day long snorkel trip and would have been much more pleased. The total "dive" time was about 30/40 (if it was that long) minutes. I wish we had been more informed before we went. You get instructions but not enough one on one time, especially if you have a problem. The crew was nice but this just wasn't worth it to us. Not the best use of time or money.

3 Thank cecb11
Essexville, Michigan, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Exciting adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Four of us wanted to try snuba during our first trip to Key West. Two in our group are scuba certified, while the other two, myself and my wife, haven't scuba'd or snorkeled before. While it isn't a must, I would strongly suggest having some snorkeling experience. It helps to know how to breath through your mouth, which sounds very simple, but can take some people a little time to become comfortable with.
The dive instructors were very helpful and patient with the newbies! One of the people on our excursion couldn't get used to the breathing technique required to go underwater and the crew didn't try to push her to keep trying. I thought they provided a good balance of encouragement and knowing when to allow someone to say "This isn't for me".
The time underwater is lots of fun, especially if you haven't snorkeled or been scuba diving before. We spent about half an hour underwater and had chances to see lobster, various fish and all sorts of underwater flora.
I would recommend giving this a try!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank CaptBacchanalia
indiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful seascape!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Nearing the end of our vacation, we wanted to squeeze in a snuba trip. We had done snuba in Turks/Caicos and loved it. We didn't go on the calmest day, but it was sunny and warm. The 1/2 hour boat ride out to the dive site was pleasant. We were briefed on what we would be doing, seeing. We went over hand signals and listened to the tour photographer about pictures he would take. Everyone was given a wetsuit which was greatly appreciated! After a quick review of how to breath through the regulators and how to kick with your fins, we were on our way to explore the reef. The only downside to our experience was fighting the waves as we swam. Since our float tanks was above the water, we were really kicking hard to pull the float along. With five of us following our guide, we also got our lines tangled, keeping us from going deeper. We had a great guide who would point out fish, coral, etc. The photographer did the same. The 30 minute dive was a bit short for us, but it was nice to see more than the snorkelers above us. Water and sodas were provided, as well as some dignity reassurance for those of us who "fed the fish" due to seasickness. I highly recommend this trip. Back at port, we had the opportunity to view and purchase the photos the photographer took. $20/pic was a bit steep, so we opted for the $80 photo CD...lots of pictures when you have a big group. We will definitely go again.

1 Thank chelle_belle00