“Hemingway House”

Day Trip to Key West from Miami
Ranked #2 of 130 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ernest Hemingway lived and wrote in this for ten years. During that time he wrote seventy percent of his life-time works. Today we operate as a museum providing guided tours every fifteen minutes from nine to five. The Museum is available for weddings and corporate events. Visit this National Historic Landmark, Literary Landmark and recognized by the Library of Congress for it's importance in U.S. History. Grand Architecture, Lush Gardens, Educational Tours, Book Store/Gift Shop and the world famous Poly dactyl (six-toed cats).
Reviewed July 23, 2013

History, intersting stories, and 6 toed cats make this stop a must. I do wish the guide had spoken louder. Friendly staff. Small gift shop, only one ladies room, and soft drink machine.

1  Thank RN85_12
HemingwayHome, Public Relations Manager at The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are glad you visited. We are in the middle of renovating the secondary rest rooms which when completed will offer 3 additional facilities.

Write a ReviewReviews (17,049)
All reviews
in 496 reviews
"novels"
in 240 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had a great stop in to Ernest Hemingways home...if you are visiting in the summer it will be very hot! Great to walk through, very open and inviting. However, my girlfriends and I were in the back viewing the cat cemetary and tried to walk through an open gate to the street and were VERY rudely stopped by some man I'm assuming was an event manager that was hosting a wedding that night. We were literally 3 feet from the street and he made us turn around....I don't care who you are but really? I should have just walked anyway, but he seemed like he could go crazy in a second and I didn't want to chance it. But whoever you are-if you read this review-CHILL OUT DUDE! Now that's all I can remember from my visit to Hemingways house- RUDE EVENT COORIDINATOR

1  Thank lisa b

Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed the tour. I am the events director and I do remember exactly what I said as I always do. We were loading equipment through the service entrance, not used by the general public and as you approached the gate I said "I'm sorry ma'am, this is a service entrance, I'll have to ask you to turn around, museum guests are to exit through the main gate." which you then responded "really, you've got to be kidding me, we can't go out that gate right there?." which I responded again "No ma'am I'm sorry this is a service entrance." you then commented about you did not know what my problem was. We don't allow guests to exit through the service entrance when we are loading catering equipment through the gate in order to prevent an accident on our property between a guest and a vendor. I am sorry you have interpreted my actions in trying to direct guest into the direction to exit the property. At no time was I rude to you, I was just redirecting you for your own safety.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Entrance fee is a bit steep but was greatly reduced for me as an active duty military member. Overall it was a fun stop during my time in Key West. The guided tour is highly recommended.

Thank you for your review. We are glad you visited and hope you enjoyed your tour.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very interesting look into one of USA's most prolific author. The memorabilia collection was extensive, rare and well preserved. Made you think about the author churning out his work and obtaining his muse while on these grounds. Reccomended stop in Key West.

HemingwayHome, Public Relations Manager at The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are glad you visited and enjoyed the tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We visited the Hemingway Home while in Key West. Hemingway is one of my favorite writers, and I thought it would be interesting to visit a place where he lived and wrote for several years. The home/museum is staffed by docents who are very knowledgeable and helpful. They answered any questions that we had. We opted to explore the property on our own instead of taking the guided tour. Expect to spend a little over an hour there, but more time could easily be spent in the gardens taking the place in.

Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed the guided tour.