“A cat hotel!”

Day Trip to Key West from Miami
Ranked #2 of 130 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ernest Hemingway lived and wrote in this for ten years. During that time he wrote seventy percent of his life-time works. Today we operate as a museum providing guided tours every fifteen minutes from nine to five. The Museum is available for weddings and corporate events. Visit this National Historic Landmark, Literary Landmark and recognized by the Library of Congress for it's importance in U.S. History. Grand Architecture, Lush Gardens, Educational Tours, Book Store/Gift Shop and the world famous Poly dactyl (six-toed cats).
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Who knew Ernest Hemingway was a cat lady. I sure didn't. I brought my family to see this famous authors home and hear some of his rich history. The tour was lite on information and the house and grounds were crawling with cat's. Cat's on the bed, cats in the gift shops, cats roaming the grounds, cats drinking at the extra large cat fountain. If you are an "extreme" Hemingway fan with an abiding love of cats this is the place for you. Otherwise, head to Truman's little white house or the beach.

HemingwayHome, Public Relations Manager at The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

I am sorry for your experience here with our feline population. Most people are aware of Hemingway's love for cats and many come just to visit with the cats. I am sorry you did not know about this. If you would like to contact us at info@Hemingwayhome.com we will issue a refund to you. Thank you for your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (17,029)
All reviews
in 494 reviews
"novels"
in 240 reviews

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Not overly interesting. Short tour and pricy for what you get. The gardens however are very nice. Would not recommend unless you are a Hemingway fanatic! Seeing his bed and bathroom, some letters and pictures just didn't do it for me.

HemingwayHome, Public Relations Manager at The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Combine this with the Harry Truman Little White House tour for an economical history of Key West. I'd skip the guided tour of this house and just self tour and just take the guided tour of the White House.

HemingwayHome, Public Relations Manager at The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for your review. We just put up some new movie posters of the Hemingway books that became movies to help the self guided guests with information about Hemingway. Thanks again.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our guide Dave was a version of Rodney Dangerfield, I don't think I have enjoyed a tour that much every. He was full of information and was FUN. This was my favorite tour - thanks Dave!

Thank you! Way to go Dave! I will pass along your comments to our General Manager so she can let Dave know about your review. Thanks again!