“Nice Key West location ...”

Best Western Hibiscus Motel
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed January 9, 2007

This hotel is located in the tourist area of Key west ... downtown near Duval Street. Free parking (a plus in Key West) plus a large wonderfully heated swimming pool. Older rooms that are kept up by an efficient staff... As my wife is handicapped and uses a wheelchair to get around, this location was perfect as we were within 4 blocks walking distance of some really fine restaurants and access was easy even with the wheelchair ... Tourist Trolley stop located 1 1/2 blocks away... I would stay here again anytime and highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
13  Thank HH922
Write a ReviewReviews (2,512)

Reviewed December 23, 2006

Our family with two small kids stayed here from December 7, 2006 to December 10.

We paid $121.53 a night and it was well worth it. We stayed on the second floor with a pool view. Two queen beds in our room with a fridge and sink in the regular part of the room. In the bathroom was a second sink, shower, tub, etc.

The hotel had a hot tub and pool. They also just finished a complete renovation which included a new breakfast area, office area, awnings, painting, etc.

The free breakfast included danish, cereal, coffee, three juices, eggs, two types of bread, and fruit.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

Some people will think that this is a little too far from the action of Key West. Well the action isn't outside your door, but it is only a short walk to the docks or Mallory Square. Since there was free parking in the motel lot, we ended up walking everywhere. Since you weren't in the middle of it all, you had peace and quiet at night.

The only complaint, a small one, was that the carpet was not clean. When you have a kid that crawls around (1yr old) you notice these things more than the average person.

An excellent place to stay overall, good value, free parking, within walking distance if you don't mind walking a little.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
12  Thank PoliticalTraveler
Reviewed November 7, 2006

We stayed in 2 rooms with a couple of friends for 2 nights. The rooms are very large and very clean. The hotel staff is friendly. The pool area was beautiful and also very clean. We didn't get up in time for the breakfast so I cannot comment on that. It is quite a hike to Mallory Square and that area from the hotel. A little over a mile. There are lots of places to stop on the way, but it is a long walk back after a few adult beverages. I would stay here again if I couldn't get anything closer to downtown. The price was reasonable too. You can't go wrong staying here. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
8  Thank pahhobbs
Reviewed October 21, 2006

Our stay was for 2 nights in Oct. The price was great, just as
quoted. We were impressed with how large the room was, not
a typical motel room! Our room was very clean. And a big plus(we thought) was the bathroom arrangement. In addition to the sink in the bathroom, there was another one in the dressing area. How helpful with more than one person getting dressed.

The lobby was still under going work, so the office and
breakfast area was still in make shift rooms. Small but
we were not bothered by this. We just took our breakfast
out to the pool area. I would hope that once the lobby is
completed there would be more information on the area
available--such as eating places, etc.

Overall, great location, clean rooms, good price!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank 1northgeorgia
Reviewed October 17, 2006

Stayed at the Key West Hibiscus for four nights and the Hotel and Location were both great, the rooms were big, clean, and quiet, the beds were very comfortable, and the bathroom are completely brand new. Their Main Lobby was under construction, but the Pool was great and the Jacuzzi was very warm. The Location was excellent (Didn’t need the Car), it was a healthy walk (1 mi.) or a short Scooter/Bike ride to heart of Duval Street where the bars/shops are located, and you’re a short two-block walk to the beach and the southernmost point sign. The Hibiscus is a Great Bargain for the price and location and I’ll definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone.

BTW – For breakfast go visit Camille's Restaurant that is just one block from the hotel, the food was excellent!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
12  Thank Travler_Red
Reviewed September 19, 2006

There were good and bad sides to staying at this hotel, but overall it was worth the money. The oddest part to me was that when we checked in, we were told that we couldn't pay for the room with a credit card other than the one we had made reservations with. After looking at my bank statement, it turns out that was because they had already charged us for the entire cost of the first night when we made the reservation, without telling us!!

BAD SIDE:
The cleaning solution (possibly Simple Green?) they use in the rooms everyday smells very pungent. My husband also insisted that he could also smell urine out in the hallway, on the night that we checked in. I didn't smell it, though.
There was something in the rooms that gave us respiratory allergies. Both of us ended up with clogged sinuses when we were in the room, and I awoke both mornings feeling miserable from the room allergies (post nasal drip caused sore throat, coughing from chest congestion, etc.). The allergies cleared up once we were out of the room for awhile. My suspicions are that it was because the bed mattresses had no protective covers and/or because the pillows looked like they might have a mold problem.
The free breakfast was what you would expect, but even so had slightly less healthy options than normal. Most notably, no toast. The entire breakfast buffett consisted of: 4 plates of donuts, 1 plate of mini-bagels, 1 plate of the miniature desert type of blueberry muffins, and Kellogs Frosted Flakes. On the plus side, there were 3 juice choices instead of the usual 2.

GOOD SIDE:
Except for the suspicious black spots on my pillows, the rooms seemed very clean. The bathroom was spotless and every surface was wiped down each day by the maid.
The location is great. It's only a block away from the southern part of Duval. Easy walking distance to the CVS/Subway/pizza shopping unit on Simonton.
The pool was very clean, pretty, and inviting.
The room only cost us $99 (including tax, $89 without) a night! An amazing deal for a room that size in Key West. It even included a refrigerator and microwave at that price!
It was quiet. We couldn't hear any other guests from within our room, even though it looked out over the pool.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again. I would bring LOTS of antihistimines and soft tissues if I do it again, but otherwise have no hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Purple_Tursi
Reviewed September 16, 2006

In a nutshell, I booked my stay with Best Western Hibiscus in Key West via Hotels.com because a deposit was not required. When I went to confirm reservations with the hotel a few days before my trip, they had been cancelled due to my debit card being declined for a deposit. Regardless of the fact that I had booked through Hotels.com and a deposit was not required, the hotel would not let me book without a deposit - period. Mistee C. with Hotels.com was extremely helpful trying to get the hotel to cooperate with me, but they would not budge. They were even going to charge me more money per night to re-book with them. I stayed at this hotel many years ago, but I will never stay there or at a Best Western again. Their customer service skills are nonexistent.

Stayed: August 2006